Thread: Outpost Choices

Outpost Choices

So, without fail, I get paused every time I have to make an outpost choice. I've read the guides, I know I can change it later (for no real benefit other than to waste 10k gold), doesn't change the fact that I sit there and mull over the architect table.

A few of these choices seem obvious, but maybe they aren't? I've been wondering what people picked and why or if one choice has a benefit later on I haven't considered.

Gorgrond

Sparring Arena or Lumber Yard

This one has to be the biggest obstacle for me. The shredder is generally fantastic, but I thought the quests for the arena were more fun. Plus, you can get away with not having the shredder if your class can comfortably solo elites (I'm at the point where I think getting the shredder on my casters is possibly mandatory) and some of the champion buffs you get (although too short lived) are really nice.

However, I've never done The Pit dailies, is the shredder something that makes a huge difference navigating there? I figured at level 100 I'd probably out-power the shredder and having a champion + buff would be more of a combat advantage.

I'm undecided about the followers. I think I've used the ones I got from the lumber yard far more than the one I got from the arena though.

Talador

Arcane Sanctum or Arsenal

This one, honestly, I don't see the benefit of having the sanctum at all. I always have an abundance of followers who can counter spells (sanctum), while I am usually in need of ones that counter massive strike (arsenal). Plus, the DPS of the artillery is so much more than the guardian orb. The initial quests for whichever one you didn't pick are a bonus objective, so you don't seem to miss out on anything there either.

Spires of Arak

Smugglers Run or Brewery

This is another one that seems like there's not much choice to be had. Both benefits of the Brewery are extremely short lived (exp bonus & teleportation within the zone). Whereas the Smugglers Run vendor sells a 28-slot bag, treasure tracking items, a nifty follower, a toy (if you don't already have it), etc.

As much as I've wanted to try the Brewery for a different experience, it seems like a waste. I have no need for the skinning trait follower it provides either. I don't know if questing is any different as I've never chosen it.

Nagrand

Tankworks or Corral

Much like Gorgrond, this choice seems situational based on class.

The tank is a lot of fun, especially if you were like me and chose to level an elemental shaman first. >_< It goes surprisingly everywhere, even inside huts, caves, and narrow corridors. You can loot while in it. The attacks do massive damage (great when your character does not :P). The downsides are if it 'dies' you have to wait 10 minutes to resummon it and I think it doesn't move at epic mount speed.

My only experience with the Corral is as a feral druid, which is basically god mode, it's fantastic. Not sure what it's like for other classes. I've read that you cannot cast while moving, so that seems like a downside, and as melee I'm not sure what difference it makes. Seems like as a hunter (or other class/spec that does a lot of kiting) it might be nice. I suppose if you're not playing a low dps character choosing it over the tank wouldn't matter much anyway.

I don't recall there being any followers tied to the Nagrand outpost.

So, what did you pick and why? Did you love or regret it? Did you learn about hidden benefits of it later?
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post

Spires of Arak

Smugglers Run or Brewery

This is another one that seems like there's not much choice to be had. Both benefits of the Brewery are extremely short lived (exp bonus & teleportation within the zone). Whereas the Smugglers Run vendor sells a 28-slot bag, treasure tracking items, a nifty follower, a toy (if you don't already have it), etc.

As much as I've wanted to try the Brewery for a different experience, it seems like a waste. I have no need for the skinning trait follower it provides either. I don't know if questing is any different as I've never chosen it.
    Just a note:
    You can get both followers from Brewery/Inn and Smuggler's if you build Brewery/Inn first and then switch to Smuggler's, since Ziriak is bought from a vendor.
    You CANNOT get the Brewery/Inn follower if you build Smuggler's first.

I learned this the hard way with my first character.
    Last edited by corebit; 2014-12-20 at 06:21 PM.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Just a note:
    You can get both followers from Brewery/Inn and Smuggler's if you build Brewery/Inn first and then switch to Smuggler's, since Ziriak is bought from a vendor.
    You CANNOT get the Brewery/Inn follower if you build Smuggler's first.

I learned this the hard way with my first character.
    Blizzard changed this with the recent hotfixes. Now you can get the other follower if you switch your outpost (for 5000 gold). It worked for me in Gorgrond and Spires, but Talador seems to be bugged.

Gorgrond
    I like the quests from the lumber yard more, it's as simple as that. Have the arena on my DK, purely for getting the achievement (some day).

Talador
    Picked the sanctum on my druid alt, but regretted it immediately after I used the ability. Artillery is instant and much easier to use, it's now the default choice. Very helpful for the wanted quests and rares.

Spires of Arak
    Picked the smuggler's den on my main and brewery on alts. My preferred strategy for alts is to reach 100 in Spires of Arak, then build a bunker in my level 3 garrison and fish for as many upgraded quests rewards as possible. An XP boost is more than welcome for this and the extra hearth to the brewery speeds up leveling a bit. Toys are once per account. Treasures are easily covered with Handynotes. All in all the smuggler's den has very little to offer for alts.

Nagrand
    Picked corral on my main (hunter), since it turns you into a horse (or rather Talbuk) archer. You'd have to be crazy to pick anything but the corral on a hunter. On alts I pick the tank yard. Having an easy way to kill all the rares regardless of spec and gear is great.

Deleted
    Does anybody know if outpost affect your main garrison in any way at all?

Some of the outpost buiding wording suggest it does, like lumber yard in gorgrond saying it reduces upgrade cost ingarrison, but if you ask me thats all lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Does anybody know if outpost affect your main garrison in any way at all?

Some of the outpost buiding wording suggest it does, like lumber yard in gorgrond saying it reduces upgrade cost ingarrison, but if you ask me thats all lies.
    probably a relic of the first beta, the outposts have no effect outside their zones
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

I've gone Lumber Yard, Arsenal, Brewery and stable thingy on every character I've levelled so far, none of the other options seemed anywhere near as useful. Lumber Yard because the Shredder is super handy, Arsenal because airstrikes are strong and the cooldown isn't very restrictive, Brewery because of the extra XP(because once I hit 100 neither option really does anything) and stables because being mounted all the time is super handy while levelling(and I don't need the tank for anything)
    Might go for the other options on alts at some point, just for the achievements, but for now I see no reason to change which ones I go for by default.
    The only one I sort of regret was the stable thingy on my Demo locks, because shifting into demon form dismounts you...
    Last edited by Tradu; 2014-12-21 at 12:14 AM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

So, what did you pick and why? Did you love or regret it? Did you learn about hidden benefits of it later?
    Shredder in gorgrond, it is still really nice for aoe at 100, and the flying is great utility
    Artillery in talador for a on-demand aoe stun, as well as tons of damage
    Smuggler in spires for the consumables, some are really good and the inn has no real use
    Corral in nagrand because pvp server + permanent sprint = mandatory

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    I've gone Lumber Yard, Arsenal, Brewery and stable thingy on every character I've levelled so far, none of the other options seemed anywhere near as useful. Lumber Yard because the Shredder is super handy, Arsenal because airstrikes are strong and the cooldown isn't very restrictive, Brewery because of the extra XP(because once I hit 100 neither option really does anything) and stables because being mounted all the time is super handy while levelling(and I don't need the tank for anything)
    Might go for the other options on alts at some point, just for the achievements, but for now I see no reason to change which ones I go for by default.
    The consumables from smuggler are nice for the level 100 areas, as well as the world boss we won't see for another 2 months
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    Spires of Arak
    Picked the smuggler's den on my main and brewery on alts. My preferred strategy for alts is to reach 100 in Spires of Arak, then build a bunker in my level 3 garrison and fish for as many upgraded quests rewards as possible. An XP boost is more than welcome for this and the extra hearth to the brewery speeds up leveling a bit. Toys are once per account. Treasures are easily covered with Handynotes. All in all the smuggler's den has very little to offer for alts.
    I always have rested on my alts, so any additional EXP bonuses aren't really needed. I think I was already level 98 by the time I left Gorgrond just from rested + map completion. I've also never really needed to teleport back to the outpost. Probably because I can summon out my merchant anywhere and having full bags is about the only reason I'd need to return to base.

I've also started replacing the barracks with a bunker as soon as I'm able as I don't see what benefit the barracks offer a leveling character while the bunker upgrades are very handy. (It's kind of irritating that they don't give you a choice in your first building.) 150 gold & resources for a chance at epics while leveling? Sounds like a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    The only one I sort of regret was the stable thingy on my Demo locks, because shifting into demon form dismounts you...
    Oh, that sucks. Good to know though.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

I always have rested on my alts, so any additional EXP bonuses aren't really needed. I think I was already level 98 by the time I left Gorgrond just from rested + map completion.
    XP bonus on top of rested makes it even better. I skip most of Gorgrond and any additional source of XP is very helpful to make sure alts are 100 before Nagrand.

I replace the barracks on some characters, but prefer to keep it for faster follower leveling. My alts that keep it typically have followers at 100 before they are and have a decent selection of 615 tokens from missions waiting.
    Upgrades up until Spires don't really matter much. When I hit 100 I build the bunker and use it for more (and better) upgrades from rare drops, treasures and quest rewards from Nagrand.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    XP bonus on top of rested makes it even better. I skip most of Gorgrond and any additional source of XP is very helpful to make sure alts are 100 before Nagrand.
    Oh, but I love Gorgrond, it's probably my favorite WoD zone. I think I'm possibly the only one who feels that way. :P I also usually go to Nagrand at 98. I'm not sure it makes any difference, even at that level I'm still getting epic gear upgrades in the 620+ range thanks to the bunker. I suspect by the time I'm done with the zone I won't need to run any dungeons for gear, so yay for that.

I replace the barracks on some characters, but prefer to keep it for faster follower leveling. My alts that keep it typically have followers at 100 before they are and have a decent selection of 615 tokens from missions waiting.
    My followers level too quickly... because I have too many alts. x_x I have level 92 alts with level 100 followers and it's problematic because when I get new followers there are no level appropriate missions for them. This results in a lot of missions I can't complete because the followers with the counters I need aren't high enough level.

Side note: It sucks that the bunker doesn't seem to affect those gear tokens. I end up disenchanting almost all the ones I get, so the missions feel very unrewarding (especially since the tokens are capped at 615). Not to mention that the trinkets are unique-equipped too.