Poll: Should Achievement Progress be Account-wide?

Should achievment be account wide?

But Squig, you say, achievements ARE account wide...

No, not really. Look Diablo 3. Progress is account wide, gotta kill 10 unique bosses? No worries, 1 character or spread around 10, it doesnt matter.

I hate the fact that to get things like 100 Wins in Battlegrounds, I have to grind it on 1 of my characters and not spread amongst the multitude of alts i have. 100 wins takes the same amount of time wether its all on 1 character or 1 win on 100 characters...

The entire purpose of Account Wide (completion) achievements, was not to force us to stick to only one character... but it still does that since all progress is character bound.

The only achievmeents I see that shouldnt have account wide progress would be most of the
    'complete x quests in a zone' achievmentrs'
    'explore x area completly' achievements
    'Learn x cooking recipes'
    'Obtain x things' (things like cooking awards, pet charms, etc - would be better to simply only have the first character of the day/week count to it)
    'Recruit x folowers' - on one character

Theres a very small number of achievements that would 'break' by being truly account wide and the ones that do can be the exceptions that are limited to character only progress and just changed to say 'on one character'

Thoughts? Arguments?

One argument ive heard is that achievements will be easier to get / everyone will have them. This would make them more accessabile but not easier. The exact same amount of time will be needed to unlock the achieveents, you would just be able to actually spread it between characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some yes, some no.....
    Should even explain itself from achievement to achievement... Reputation for example, nope.. That's the character that gains it, not the player.

Else, I agree for achievements to have at least some kind of a tiny challenge to them, else it's really just a farmville degeneration..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Most that shouldnt, shouldnt be obvious reasons. Mostly because the progress NEEDS to be on 1 character, like recipes learnt, reputations, etc.

Everything else wouldnt be 'easier' if you could do it on multiple toons, just more convenient.

Deleted
    I think expect for a few inconsistencies (hello Conqueror) the current way account wide acms work is fine

15+ Year Old Account
    I think all achievement progression should be account-wide. It only would make sense.

I still wish and hope that they will make the MoP (and ofc WoD) Challenge Mode items account-wide for that specific class that you earned the achievements on. If I had done it with my main hunter or one of my other 3 hunters (2 on each faction and account) wouldn't have mattered, I can handle the class = what sense is there in this cosmetic thing being character bound when the mounts are not?

Deleted
    I think Blizzard wants to keep them 'rare', having less characters having them is a way to accomplish that goal I guess

anyway I think the biggest flaw the current system has is it's discrimination against pvp rewards/acms

oh you did that hellish grind and now you can call yourself Conqueror? Fantastic, but since it's a pvp title you'll only be able to use it on one character ha! Fantastic design. Oh since Blizzard likes to pride itself on its consistency, Battlemaster is account wide. Brilliant!

oh you managed to get gladiator? Grats on your achievment, but you know you really shouldn't be able to use that mount on all your characters, like any rare/exclusive mount earned through high level pve, because hey fuck pvp.

oh grats on your new vicious mount, but you know what? Screw you. Bound to character. Because reasons.

I'm telling you right now, if tabards ever become account wide, you know exactly which tabards will never ever be accountwide.. that's right the pvp tabards. I'm still salty that I did Conqueror on a toon I no longer play 8(, but to add insult to injury I also have the s8 tabard on that character. Woe is me.
    Last edited by mmocb78b025c1c; 2015-02-01 at 06:58 AM.

My main and only gripe with the current system is rep actually.

I'm near the beloved on my main and it was a shit grind. I mean, who enjoys rep grinding? You do it for the achievements and hope to god you never have to do it again. But then I feel very 'locked' into my priest because who wants to regrind 60 reps all over again? The first time was an almost unforgetable, horrific ordeal the first time.

I don't PvP but I can also see why that's kinda awful too, but yeah... please add a way to 'transfer' reps to a different character atleast. I know the achievement is still gained across all characters, but it's listed as 2/60 or what ever, so should there ever be a new end rep goal (say, 75 reps at exalted), I'd have to grind 73 all over again instead of 15 haha.
    Last edited by Alfryd; 2015-02-03 at 10:09 AM.

Battleground Wins is really the only one right now that bothers me about not being account wide.

Deleted
    Just like Alfyd, the main thing that keeps me from switching mains is my reputation. I want all those bars to be full on my main, but I CBA to do the grinds again on a new main. I don't really do a lot of pvp, but I do think the wins should be account wide, just as the mounts should be.

One day I'll have to go grind out those pvp achievement... Not looking forward to it.

Deleted
    I think some should, but not everything.

Things like Insane in the Membrane where the whole POINT is to have all of them at once, shouldn't be.

Battleground wins really should imo. I did a few Bg's on my rogue recently because I wanted some old TBC pvp boots for transmog, most fun I've had in a while, but for the most part I'd rather pvp on my significantly less amusing warlock since there's a difference of 80 or so wins on many BG's.

I think BG's are the exception to the rule though, reputation and progress towards other things (meta achieves like killing council bosses in different orders or what have you) shouldn't be. BG win achievements have enough weight to stop me playing a good chunk of the game on alts, which is a pretty big negative and probably not the intention of the achievements, but a lot of other achievements with progress are intended to be done on one character.

I'd rather they all stay as is than all go account-wide progress though. There seem to be so few achievements with longevity to them outside of pvp these days, WOD started with some but a lot of them were tied to garrison buildings and promptly had their requirements nerfed to the ground, since God forbid anyone not have all of their garrison finished in 2 weeks flat.
    I'd rather have some kept as a long, hard grind than everything becoming meaninglessly quick and easy like a lot of the achievement system has become over the years - but some of the pvp ones wouldn't hurt to be looked at.
    Last edited by mmoc1571eb5575; 2015-02-13 at 08:49 PM.

Deleted
    Yes. While with BG wins i think they should add up over all toons. Reputations for instance really should be "completed" ones. Like i have 30 exalteds on my warrior and 5 different ones on my druid. I should have a total of 35 reputations counted for the achievement that tracks the amount of exalted reps.