Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Do you mis-read me by intent? I specifically stated "character progression content". What you are talking about is vanity content. Content that doesn't progress character. There has been explosion of this vanity content that is practically useless for me, while character progression content has taken gigantic hit over the years in return.
    In what way do you think achievements aren't character progression?!?

And what kind of progression in a role-playing game isn't vanity?

Isn't the personalization of your character, the collection of items and intangibles, the entire point of a role playing game?

If not, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    My response was totally in line with what I was replying to.

Firstly, the problem isn't that there is "not enough content" and as far as I am concerned, anyone hopping onto that particular bandwagon has already demonstrated a poor capacity for rational reasoning.

The problem is, for some people (and tbh it's debatable how many), a lack of engaging content. If we could move the discussion to why some people don't want to engage the content, and also how endemic this issue actually is (rather than how loud a potentially small minority cries) it would be a lot more constructive.

As things currently stand, if you don't like the content that they have made, then clamouring for more content is asinine, because all you're going to land up with is more content you don't like.

Secondly, as someone who works in the development environment, I can tell you that nagging and whining about "not enough content" is not going to help you get what you want. Writing and developing software isn't like riding a horse. You can't just push your spurs in and expect better performance.

IMO WoW is like a fine wine. It's a quality product that takes time to make, but worth the wait. Some people just want to get drunk as fast as possible. They should be looking for cheap beer.
    I am fairly sure that people have been and would be happy with more max level heroic 5 mans and less garrison quests. It isn't rocket science.
    Less Twitter and selfies, more quests and dungeons. If there is a dev that truly doesn't understand what people have been asking for then he should be given the pink slip and replaced by someone who actually listens and comprehends the human language.

here is the thing though. All of us did like the content. We either loved the content in a previous expansion and are miffed that Blizz is doing less of what we liked and giving us stuff no one even asked for. or we loved the current content but are miffed because it took a nose dive once you hit level 100. So if Blizz reads the massive amounts of posts that state clearly "We don't want S.E.L.F.I.E.'s or TWITTER or Garrison missions. We want more quests, dungeons and world content" then I truly have lost all hope for their current dev team.

Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    So the biggest problem (IMO) is the fact that they're calling this a "Major content patch" which is what x.1 x.2 etc are, if they called it a bug bifx/tuning pass minor patch and made Tanaan Jungle 6.1, that would be fine. I don't want a new raid tier every patch but I would like something to warrant actually calling it a major content patch.
    It isn't JUST what they are calling it; you also need to focus on the fact that it has been over 3 months since the expansion launched, and it has taken until now to actually release a lot of things that were supposed to be there at the start. For anyone foolish enough to still believe that Blizzard works on the basis of releasing things "when they are ready" this will come as something of a wake-up call.

The expansion also launched with a perceived dearth of max level content. This issue does not appear to have made any effort to correct this; instead it focuses on things like Twitter integration and selfies. Which suggests that whoever is setting the priorities on content at the moment is WAY out of touch with their customers.

I agree with other people in this thread; hit Blizzard in the only place they have feeling left, their wallet. This is the only way there is any theoretical hope of improvement. My concern would be whether they can even change at this point; they have got so used to not having to work hard, or act like a proper software company, that I would question if they are even capable of reacting properly. They have the resources, of course, the question is whether they have the leadership and the will.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by sykoex View Post
    Now that you all have had some time with the patch have you changed your mind?
    TLR: Patch is ok for very casual players (casuals = who do not invest a lot of time in the game).

Well from a player who gets to play a average of 1-2 hours a day, the patch adds some minor content. The Harrison Jones quests are ok. They involve some moving around. Missions are also content, but have not gotten around to that yet. There are those SELFIE achievements which do involve going out into the world. I will probably not be able to get around to do these in quick succession. Then there are dailies which just add new ways of doing same stuff, but still optional activities.

I mean if you spend a lot of time in this game, you will burn through the content. Which is what a lot of people posting this forum already do.

And for the people complaining about character progress (on alts), there is more optional stuff to do, but it relates to old content. It can be argued that thats just a consequence of there being more expansions and that it is a repetitive grind. But its still there. My favorite activity is to go for transmog sets on alts (some older tier sets or pvp sets) or even for main. If you hit old raids, you can even get pets o the way, level them up and then sell them AH (another different metagame). They should have done stuff for eg. the L25 pet battle stone in WoD launch, but even if it has come now - its a great addition - and a great way to boost pets and also increase battle pet participation. (finally have a pet menagerie - and look forward to it on alts)

Most of the playerbase has not even completed BRF either and this patch allows them to catch up easily, along with additional activities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    It isn't JUST what they are calling it; you also need to focus on the fact that it has been over 3 months since the expansion launched, and it has taken until now to actually release a lot of things that were supposed to be there at the start. For anyone foolish enough to still believe that Blizzard works on the basis of releasing things "when they are ready" this will come as something of a wake-up call.

The expansion also launched with a perceived dearth of max level content. This issue does not appear to have made any effort to correct this; instead it focuses on things like Twitter integration and selfies. Which suggests that whoever is setting the priorities on content at the moment is WAY out of touch with their customers.

I agree with other people in this thread; hit Blizzard in the only place they have feeling left, their wallet. This is the only way there is any theoretical hope of improvement. My concern would be whether they can even change at this point; they have got so used to not having to work hard, or act like a proper software company, that I would question if they are even capable of reacting properly. They have the resources, of course, the question is whether they have the leadership and the will.
    I understand these points. But I have a feeling that blizz is o catering to a wider range of players and that many vocal forum goers just happen to be the ones who play alot of this game. Spend less time in it, and suddenly there is a lot of stuff to catch up to. How do you make a middle ground. Because IF blizz began to release things faster, you will have

-Bugs
    -Bug fixes when content is irrelevant
    -content getting 'old' for the majority of players
    -overall shoddy playing experience for many players

The question is whether people are quitting or not? Seem like many players who complain on the forums also do not quit; (a paradox, really) And those who quit, dont post too often on the forums. Maybe the sub numbers for next quarter will tell the story - though, as I said already, many people are still playing WoD according to the last sub count.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    People are also getting quickly bored and frustrated because they are more experienced and consume the content faster and better then they did when they were newer. There is also that nasty habit of these same people that are bored of not having actually done all the content because mythic isn't real content its just a copy.
    Then tell me why this boredom and frustration only tends to coincide with the versions of this game that lack the proper end game progression content? On the vanilla and TBC private servers I play in, this frustration never seems to hit in even if playing there for years.

I guess it's just magical, a bit like magnets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The character progression content wasn't more. It was just gated. If you are talking about Character Progression and doing a point by point comparison WoD has more. Garrison Missions, Dungeons, Apexis, Rares, Accessible Raids. It is all more then BC had at launch and is open to a wider audience then burning crusade was at launch.
    Are you being sincere here? Really? Garrison Missions? You mean the ones where you click once every few hours and things come in, then being absolutely inconsequential to your gameplay? Dungeons? You mean the small handful of relatively small dungeons we have? That vs. TBC's multitude of dungeons of far longer lasting importance? Apexis missions? Yay! Once a day for 15 minutes! That really compares to the MULTITUDE of different reps TBC hads, that were always open for doing and provided not only some random pieces of gear but access to even further into the game? At your own leisure.

I mean, when you look at those actions invidually, compare them to lets say TBC as that is what is being brought up and you can honestly say that the content compares in terms of longevity?

And you know what? There isn't anything inherently wrong with gating if it's done correctly! If it's done in manner that is part of your character progression, something which's speed you can yourself affect, like farming for keys vs. things unlocking just because at pre-determined date, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it! Even better if it's masked as in-game RPG activity like gathering things to build a key into Shattered Halls via various missions and group quests!

Do you know what's wrong way to deal with gating? Dailies. Locking things behind dailies you can only do once a day and then you're done with without any control over how you'd prefer to play. That is gating done wrong.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Eh, the feature is cool, but I don't like that you need RealID enabled.

Deleted
    Didn't they release a raid just before 6.1? so just imagine that i was released with 6.1 and you're golden.