10+ Year Old Account

Heroic Iron Maidens (20-23 man) help

Looking for some help analyzing logs for Iron Maiden (heroic).

1. We have been wiping on this fight for 2 days (around 20 wipes) now.

2. Our raid comp is usually 2 DK tanks, 1 Disc priest + 3 Holy Pals + 1 resto druid for 20-22 man heroic.
    Logs for last night's raid--
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/hxy3QkRvgH6XqD1F
    We are on an average 673 ilevel.

3. We figured out the boat phases. We generally go Marak > Garan > Sorka for the boats.

4. Our problem is always at the end in the < 20% phase. We are trying to kill in the order -- Marak > Garan > Sorka.
    But the raid damage is way too high and we lose half the raid by the time Marak goes down.

5. We Blood Lust at 20% and burn Marak down. we tried both ignoring turrets till Marak dies. With that method we had around 3-4
    turrets up after Marak died. Plan was to have range kill those turrets after Marak dies and move on to Garan.
    We save BoPs for Pen shots in this phase. Problem is with this method and 4 turrets, people are getting hit by the turrets
    everywhere. So, we tried some split DPS and assigned ranged on turrets and melee on Marak. Problem with this method was
    since we are a bit ranged DPS heavy, Marak was taking too long to go down. And eventually healers are not able to keep up.

6. If we can figure out a way to keep the turrets under control, we are considering killing Sorka after Marak and leave Garan for last.

Our main problem is that the Marak phase is brutal for us. In the logs above, there are some usual avoidable deaths in some of the wipes, which we understand we need to improve on.
    I am more concerned about our strat and we are doing wrong in the final phase.

Thanks for any help.

You have a big chuck of ranged DPS, so you should have them kill the turrets while burning Marak. She should fall pretty quickly, and then it just becomes a game of kill turrets and Gar'an. Having ranged focus on turrets should leave you with only one up at time, and that one shouldn't be up for very long. Also have your tanks move the bosses away from turrets that spawn, and the rest of the raid position accordingly.

Have melee wait until the Garan runs back to the tank to DPS her instead of trying to follow her where she drops a turret. Save your bops (you have a bunch of them) and other immunity spells like IB/Feign/Spectral Guise for 20% and you'll never have to deal with penetrating shots.

You can try switching your priest to holy for more raid healing as well. Running 3 paladin healers is not the best composition for raid heals, unfortunately.

The biggest thing is making sure you go into 20% with a full raid group. The fight is very simply up until that point, and there's no reason to have deaths before that phase.

Also, you might want to set up some sort of cooldown rotation on Marak's tank at that point if the raid damage is too high. You have a bunch of hand of sacrifice, a pain suppression, bark skin (or w/e the druid one is called) plus all your tank CDs. Should be enough to last through that Marak's 20-0% burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    4. Our problem is always at the end in the < 20% phase. We are trying to kill in the order -- Marak > Garan > Sorka.
    But the raid damage is way too high and we lose half the raid by the time Marak goes down.

5. We Blood Lust at 20% and burn Marak down. we tried both ignoring turrets till Marak dies.
    If you're having trouble in the final phase, then that's what you need to change up. I'd honestly recommend this kill order for sub 20%:
    Garan > Marak > Sorka

One solid reason for this is for every turret Garan spawns is effectively more health you have to deal with. Even if thye just have 2M hp (I have no idea how much for that sized raid on heroic), multiply that by how many she spawns - its a fair chunk of extra damage you'll need. Just burn down Garan and your raid will thank you. This phase becomes much cleaner once she goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    Looking for some help analyzing logs for Iron Maiden (heroic).

1. We have been wiping on this fight for 2 days (around 20 wipes) now.

2. Our raid comp is usually 2 DK tanks, 1 Disc priest + 3 Holy Pals + 1 resto druid for 20-22 man heroic.
    Logs for last night's raid--
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/hxy3QkRvgH6XqD1F
    We are on an average 673 ilevel.

3. We figured out the boat phases. We generally go Marak > Garan > Sorka for the boats.

5. We Blood Lust at 20% and burn Marak down. we tried both ignoring turrets till Marak dies. With that method we had around 3-4
    turrets up after Marak died. Plan was to have range kill those turrets after Marak dies and move on to Garan.
    We save BoPs for Pen shots in this phase. Problem is with this method and 4 turrets, people are getting hit by the turrets
    everywhere. So, we tried some split DPS and assigned ranged on turrets and melee on Marak. Problem with this method was
    since we are a bit ranged DPS heavy, Marak was taking too long to go down. And eventually healers are not able to keep up.

6. If we can figure out a way to keep the turrets under control, we are considering killing Sorka after Marak and leave Garan for last.

Our main problem is that the Marak phase is brutal for us. In the logs above, there are some usual avoidable deaths in some of the wipes, which we understand we need to improve on.
    I am more concerned about our strat and we are doing wrong in the final phase.

Thanks for any help.
    Turrets have to be killed by ranged ASAP. They're main priority. Have someone mark a skull on them so ranged can switch immediately when they come out.

Quote Originally Posted by proteen View Post
    If you're having trouble in the final phase, then that's what you need to change up. I'd honestly recommend this kill order for sub 20%:
    Garan > Marak > Sorka

One solid reason for this is for every turret Garan spawns is effectively more health you have to deal with. Even if thye just have 2M hp (I have no idea how much for that sized raid on heroic), multiply that by how many she spawns - its a fair chunk of extra damage you'll need. Just burn down Garan and your raid will thank you. This phase becomes much cleaner once she goes down.
    Damage isn't the issue though, healing is. Having Marak up is extremely stressful on healers and provides so much overall raid damage that is unavoidable. Garan's extra turret damage is avoidable, and with Marak dead, lasting longer is not an issue.

Also have your raid roll externals on your Marak tank to lessen the damage taken by the raid.
    Last edited by HockeyVG; 2015-03-02 at 05:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the feedback folks. Based on the advice here, we can try the following next time we work on the boss:

General consensus seems to be--

1. Assign ranged to switch and kill Turrets ASAP.
    2. Chain External CDs (like Hand of Sac and Pain Sup) on tank tanking Marak. This will significantly reduce raid-wise damage done by Sanguine Strikes.
    3. Move boss from Turrets as they spawn ASAP.

TLDR--
    Turrets has to go down as they spawn. And range has to be responsible for keeping up with them.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e=damage-taken

This is our second kill of Maidens Heroic. Mostly guild group, but we fill in spots up to 20ish total raiders every week.
    We're obviously not doing it totally smooth yet, but it is a sure kill every week now. We wiped twice before killing it last time.
    Your raid size is similar to what we go with, and our gear is a little better, I think.

I do notice your raid has significantly more damage taken than ours does.
    Minimizing damage taken will probably give you the best results.

Barring mistakes, this is how it goes for us:
    We push Sorka, then Garan, then Marak into their boat phases.
    I don't do boats, so I'm not sure what they do.
    We take the blood ritual to a designated spot every time.
    We kite rapid fire around the outside of the room where nobody should be.
    We prioritize survival during bomb phases.
    All maidens get brought down close to 20% before pushing Marak under 20, triggering phase 3.
    Melee dps focuses down Marak during phase 3, and gets the hell away from the turrets.
    Ranged dps is on Turrets > Marak during phase 3.
    Penetrating shot targets get BoP if they can't shed it themselves.
    Admiral is next. If your raid isn't mostly dead by this time, you should win.
    Mop up Sorka.
    People who take or cause avoidable damage get called out. bombs, blood ritual, rapid fire, turrets, etc.
    Last edited by Vaerys; 2015-03-02 at 06:07 PM.

One thing people don't mention but I think helps. Have your Sorka tank stand in Marak's crotch the entire fight. This means no one has to move for blood ever and will increase DPS. This is especially crucial in the burn phase. It will always go on the Sorka tank. Obviously if the Sorka tank is on the boat then readjust (I am that tank so I really don't know if he keeps casting blood while I'm gone but I assume he does).

We also go garan >Marak > Sorka in the burn. Stopping the turrets was the way we found most success. I can't remember exactly but I think we usually have garan down as the third turret is spawning or shortly before. Then everyone can focus Marak and he drops quickly. Make sure your tanks are taunting garan back to the center when he jumps to make a turret. If you are too slow and he starts rapid fire or penetrating shot then you have to wait those out before he will move and it hurts. Just taunt quick though and it's fine.

Maidens is one of the few fights in H BRF where DPS truly matters. Ideally, you should have enough to avoid the 3rd ship phase. That's a good benchmark for having 'enough' DPS. Any less, and you will likely not have enough damage to kill the bosses in the execute phase before you lose people to mechanics and/or your healers run dry on mana.

I favor the Marak>Admiral>Sorka order. Some people like to go Admiral first, but I do not think it is a safe strategy. She likes the leap all over, and the melee will waste a good deal of time chasing her. On top of that, it exposes them to lots of damage from turrets since they will be very close when she deploys them.

If you lust and burn Marak while ignoring turrets, there should only be 2 up by the time she goes down. The ranged can then switch to burning turrets while the melee focuses on Admiral/Sorka. If you can kill Marak and still have enough ranged DPS to kill turrets faster than they spawn, you win. If you *don't* have enough ranged DPS, your only hope is to have everyone dodge the fireballs and hopefully win through brute force alone.

Finally, you have to stay on top of the normal mechanics - penetrating shot needs to be BoPed or avoided. Stacking just isn't feasible. Surprisingly large numbers of people die to the same mechanics they've been practicing all fight - and you can't afford that!

Just quickly looking at your log, way too many people are getting smoked by turrets, if you get an unfortunate turret in melee just have everyone move out and re position the boss. For penetrating shots in P2 (or bomb phases) it helps if whoever is currently targeted can call out either: soak, stack or BoP to reduce bad deaths from that.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.