Thread: BW Rotation

BW Rotation

Hello,

Just getting back into BM-ing again and need some guidance please. What is the current rotation priority when in BW? Also, what is the best way to handle the BW reset from the 2-piece?

Thanks!

like the million and 1 posts like this before you, read Azor's hunter guide. everything you need to know and more is in that guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdracklryeg View Post
    Wait... There are black people in China? You learn something new everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Kids are the worst STD you can catch.

Actually, I am quite familiar with that guide and reference it often, so please don't take me for one of the million and one others before me.

I remember when under BW it was best to use primarily KC and Arcane Shot; is this still the case? Just looking for some input on how to maximize BW.

Well, one of your questions is answered in the guide:

Q: (Beast Mastery) How do I deal with the cooldown reset of Bestial Wrath from the 2-piece bonus?
    A: Let the currently going Bestial Wrath run out if applicable and ensure that you refresh Steady Focus before heading in, and that you pop Bestial Wrath when Kill Command’s cd is 3 seconds from coming up (at MOST).

As to the rotation while in BW question, as far as I know, that is still the case. While in BW, you want to prioritize using your most damaging abilities as often as possible, so as many KCs and AS as you can, and as few CSs as you can.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2015-03-04 at 12:02 AM.

The only change to the rotation is you want to do zero CS. So make sure Steady Focus is up before you pop BW, and then follow the single target rotation KC>Barrage>AS.
    Also make sure you pop FF before going into BW, regardless of stacks.

Thanks! I was mostly flummoxed by barrage, as it has dmg priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwinna View Post
    Thanks! I was mostly flummoxed by barrage, as it has dmg priority.
    I'm not a number cruncher but its a logical thing to do. Barrage hits harder than arcane shot and benefits more from the shot cost reduction. Using arcane during the BW saves 15 focus per cast. Using barrage saves 30 focus on the cast.

- - - Updated - - -

On a separate note I wish we could talk hunter mechanics without linking 1 person's guide or sifting through 300 pages of information. There's no reason we can't talk things over in more concentrated topics. Azor's guide assumes you are capable of tailoring his information to your personal gear and personal responsibilities within raids. Not everyone is capable of making those decisions for themselves so they are asking for more specific information. I don't see a problem with it.

For example all the LW vs. Focusing shot questions. There are a ton of players that don't understand when to switch and why to switch. It's easy to point to a guide that tells hunters what to do. I think some guys want to know why so they think for themselves in real raiding situations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylay73 View Post
    The only change to the rotation is you want to do zero CS. So make sure Steady Focus is up before you pop BW, and then follow the single target rotation KC>Barrage>AS.
    Also make sure you pop FF before going into BW, regardless of stacks.
    I think the macro
    /cast focus fire
    /cast bestial wrath

is pretty much mandatory and brainless.

Quote Originally Posted by I dunno View Post
    I think the macro
    /cast focus fire
    /cast bestial wrath

is pretty much mandatory and brainless.
    You're right, that macro is pretty brainless. You just wasted 10% of your BW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mediic View Post
    You're right, that macro is pretty brainless. You just wasted 10% of your BW.
    How? You're supposed to blow all FF stacks just before entering BW, always, and this macro does exactly that.

How? You're supposed to blow all FF stacks just before entering BW, always, and this macro does exactly that.
    FF is on the GCD, and BW is not. Using the macro in this way means that you lose one GCD of damage during BW, so 10% of its duration. You should FF first, then use BW in conjunction with a damaging ability to maximize the CD.

Focus Fire costs 0 focus. Focus Fire is on GCD. Bestial Wrath is off GCD.
    Your macro pops Focus Fire, then immediately triggers BW. The first second of BW is wasted while you are waiting for the Focus Fire GCD to end and you can cast something that actually benefits from BW, such as Kill Command.

Instead, Press your Focus Fire button. Wait 1 second. Press BW + KC (or barrage or AS) together. You just gained an extra second of BW to do damage with.

You should actually do: CS>FF>CS>BW to ensure you have FF buff and a full 10 seconds of Steady Focus before entering BW.