Deleted

Leveling from 1 to 100 by doing pet battles

Sorry for posting this for the 2nd time but it's not getting a lot of traffic in "Achievements, Pet Battles, and Transmogrification" subforum and I'm looking for a quick answer

I've heard it's possible to level up your character from 1 to 100 by only doing pet battles.

Is this method way slower than questing/dungeons farming? And how does it actually work? Do I need to level up my pets from level 1?

Are there any online guides explaining this method? Cause I can't really find any.

I did a small bit of leveling via pet battles. Yes, it is Way slower. Im not sure about the other parts, but that part I do know.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

yes way slower and more grindy since basically you go in a safe area and fight the same pets over and over.
    but it is good if in no hurry to level that alt and great for leveling pets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    yes way slower and more grindy since basically you go in a safe area and fight the same pets over and over.
    Do I need to have some pets at level 25 to level up my character this way? And what is the best place to do pet battles then? Do you know any guides?

Sorry, I'm just really new to pet battles

Couple things to note when using pet battles to level. Don't bother unless you can get to the minimum level 16+ wild pets simply because the lower the level of the wild pet you're facing the less exp you get. Like, was leveling a monk in westfall decided I wanted to try and get a rare crab and killing a nearby murloc gave double the exp the actual pet battle gave and took like 1/5th of the time. The 16+ is just a rough guess since I haven't played in awhile but generally around northrend is when exp seems to get to that point where it's a viable (albeit still slow) alternative.

In order to get the maximum exp per battle all pets on the team must not be of a higher level than the pet you are fighting. So no level 25s beating on level 1s and no 16s fighting level 12s etc. Even if the pet is not actively fighting, like if you have a team of 8,9,22 fighting a group of 10s even if you only use the 8 and 9 you will still get no exp due to the level 22 being on the team.

Edit: yeah forgot to mention if a pet on the team is too high you get absolutely no exp. 0. zip. nada. So yeah stay in the range of the pet you're battling a pet can be lower but it cannot be higher without repercussions!

The exception to this is the pokemon quests scattered throughout the zones. If you have the pets to do them, do 'em. The quests give a ton of exp and it's what I do when I don't feel like leveling on my 90+ toons. The quest exp is what matters not the battle itself so you can toss in a lowbie to soak battle exp and knock the rest out with 25s.

Personally the places I remember people farming is valley of the four winds and vale of eternal blossoms in Pandaria. There's a couple places in Draenor as well -- Frostfire ridge has pets everywhere in a lot of safe areas and shadowmoon valley has a lot of crabs by the shore but I don't know how safe that place is.

Vale requires flying pets valley requires beasts frostfire is annoying because the pets are more varied so mech,flying,aquatic,and beast work well iirc. Shadowmoon is mostly flying/aquatic so grab some magic and flying damage and you're set.

Seriously though, do the dailies very good exp both for you and the pet

It is ridiculously slow. You get about 1% of your current XP bar requirement from winning the pet battle, which means it is the most effective at higher levels (and yet still completely inferior to questing)

Don't know about low levels but you get about a quests worth of XP from a level appropriate battle. Can usually get about 2-3 pets from 12-25 per level with heirlooms and the safari hat in draenor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    It is ridiculously slow. You get about 1% of your current XP bar requirement from winning the pet battle, which means it is the most effective at higher levels (and yet still completely inferior to questing)
    That is......
    Only partially correct.
    It's a lot more at early stages, it's less at higher levels.
    Generally, a level 90 toon gets 12.200 XP for a successful pet battle. One can do their own math for that matter.
    Earlier on, it's less xp but also less needed.
    You go from some 3 battles per level in the very beginning to over 100 at the endgame leveling.
    Is it slow? That depends a lot on the team one has. An efficient team ends a battle within 1 - 1.5 min. So, 12k XP no later than every 2 min is a decent progress.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

i've done this a few times(2-3) going from 1-90 on pet battles, wildtree is right.
    you could also have a friend port you to ashran and run to the shore of draenor to finish the pet battle achievement on the shore of smv for the statue, you'll probably ding around 2000+ battles.
    if not, there's valley of the 4 winds and then vale in the village.
    all places are safe for lowbies and have plentiful pets

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That is......
    Only partially correct.
    It's a lot more at early stages, it's less at higher levels.
    Generally, a level 90 toon gets 12.200 XP for a successful pet battle. One can do their own math for that matter.
    Earlier on, it's less xp but also less needed.
    You go from some 3 battles per level in the very beginning to over 100 at the endgame leveling.
    Is it slow? That depends a lot on the team one has. An efficient team ends a battle within 1 - 1.5 min. So, 12k XP no later than every 2 min is a decent progress.
    full heirlooms i get like 31k exp just for picking up treasures, quests are 20k of which i often turn in 3, mobs over 1k exp each, the bonus objective areas are over 100k exp.

sure you can level at a decent pace, but an efficient team vs efficient questing is silly, i could hit 100 before they make 92, starting from 90.

Deleted
    You can stand in OG and level your toon by doing pvp pet battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Do I need to have some pets at level 25 to level up my character this way? And what is the best place to do pet battles then? Do you know any guides?

Two good places is in the vale in panderia by the pet trainer in the city at the bottom of the lots of striders which are aquatic so having a few level 25 flyer pets and have he daily trainer right there makes it a good spot.

In the valley of the four winds between the farm and the pet trainer there is another good spot.
    Lots of critters there so a few level 25 beast pets work well there.

Yes you need like two level 25 pets and what ever pet you are leveling to fill out your team.
    Because pets in these areas are 22 to 25.
    But the xp for you and your pets are worth it.
    I leveled 3 or 4 Alts from 1 to 90'doing this in mop.

Deleted
    I levelled a dk up on just pet battles and herb farming, once in a while i needed to do some basics quests though, just to get up to date with a zones starting gear through quest rewards...

There are 5 pet battle dailies (4 alliance tamers and 1 horde tamer) that don't require going to the quest giver to turn in, meaning it has that quest turn in pop up when it's done.
    The Beast of Fable dailies (4 of them) all turn in at the same quest giver. So here's my proposed method. The other part is that the Elixir of Ancient knowledge persists on logout.

1. Get Elixir of Ancient Knowledge (Krol the Blade, Timeless Isle).
    2. Get a port to Shrine.
    3. Logout and get on high level.
    4. Complete the 5 dailies that I was referring to and the Beast of Fable.
    5. Log back in your leveling alt.
    6. Turn in all quests
    7. Logout

Now this method will take a while, but if you're doing those beast of fable daiies anyway for the satchels then it's a viable method. What I did is I parked an out at each of the tamers thus reducing my travel time.

Deleted
    Tell me again how some of you don't have an addiction issue. :P

Deleted
    Not sure if i would have fun by just doing pet battles.

I prefer to level up using battlegrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post

When I tried it, I was grinding in the Vale. It's easy for a level 1 to get to (mage portal) and has loads of 23-24 battle pets, most of whom are water (frogs, striders).

You will want a team of max-level pets, though.

It's slow if you 'just' do random pet battles. It's a bit better if you do the daily quests surrounding it.

That being said, questing gets you gear and gold. pet battles generally do not.

It is much much slower. It only becomes somewhat efficient at very high levels. At the lower levels you are definitely better off doing quests/dungeon quests.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    1 - 60 (650 total battles, give or take a few)
    61 - 79 (haven't done any at this level range, but I'd imagine 16-20 battles per level)
    80 - 85 (240-250 battles)
    86 - 90 (360-380 battles)
    91 - 100 (55-59 battles per level) (most of my characters were 90 before the heirloom tab, but after it was added, I was getting about 1.8-2% xp per battle)

These numbers were all done by battling in Valley of the 4 Winds against critters using a Ravager Hatchling and Zandalari Kneebiter (both P/P).