Underperforming for my item level?

Hi there, new elemental shaman and trying to improve!
    My new co-shaman has about 7 item levels avg lower, and is performing very close/beating me on fights in H BRF.
    I know the main difference is his 715 ring vs. 690 ring.
    I understand my enchants and gems are the cheap ones (minus weapon) - this is a boosted 90 so I am barely scrapping by with the gold I have for repairs, raid pots, etc. - won't be able to drop gold on expensive enchants until I can buy gold with Blizzard's game token system.

Trying to get some insight into what I can do to improve, as it would be nice to consistently be in the top 50th percentile for my ilvl and class.
    Or maybe I'm playing alright and don't know how to interpret the %s?

My character: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings.../latest#boss=0
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...wnhaven/simple

An example; last night's Iron Maidens.
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...6&type=summary

Flamebender:
    http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/...7A1nc#fight=34

I'm currently using Tidyplates to track Flame Shock and using Hekilli
    Last edited by fLaPjAk; 2015-04-07 at 08:05 PM. Reason: can now post links

You can go to the top right of WCL and press Compare, and use the options to compare yourself against other people in similar situations. For example you did 34.2k on H&F, the 50 it lists did between 39k and 42.6k on extremely similar fight times and item level to yourself. You could then click their name and find out what they are doing different to you.

A quick glance shows all of them, including your guildy, are using Earth Shock/Fulmination more than you are for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    You can go to the top right of WCL and press Compare, and use the options to compare yourself against other people in similar situations. For example you did 34.2k on H&F, the 50 it lists did between 39k and 42.6k on extremely similar fight times and item level to yourself. You could then click their name and find out what they are doing different to you.

A quick glance shows all of them, including your guildy, are using Earth Shock/Fulmination more than you are for example.
    I didn't even know this... wow.
    Already with the Maidens at quick glance I can see I wasted Ascendance casting Lava Beam when I should have been using the full CD for LB... I will keep at it with this compare function, it's appreciated.

I'll check H&F to see where I failed - but it's safe to say I could be doing a lot better, right? Thanks for your quick response

Unless the 3 bosses aren't stacked up on Maidens, Lava Beam should be your go-to spell with Ascendance until <20%. Our strength in this fight is spamming CL/EQ on all 3 targets and Lava Beam is just CL on steroids

Quote Originally Posted by Lasion View Post
    Unless the 3 bosses aren't stacked up on Maidens, Lava Beam should be your go-to spell with Ascendance until <20%. Our strength in this fight is spamming CL/EQ on all 3 targets and Lava Beam is just CL on steroids
    We downed heroic BH last night... not sure about my dps... tried mostly to stay alive...
    www warcraftlogs com/reports/jk4HK9VZpThwAF2R#fight=8

If i refine the search down to same ilvl and last 7 days, then it looks like i'm doing okay.

We then tried mythic beastlord and i tried hard to pad with the adds - our enh shaman was holding 65k-70k constantly... with the padding (CL+EQ x 2 on adds) i sustained about 30-35k... but on two or three attempts I dropped the padding and focused on just ST on the boss (or cleave) and dps dropped down to 28k...

Is EotE/PE/EF still go-to for ST? should i be dropping my periodic AOE for just ST?

EDIT:RE: BH - looked at some of the top dps - the new trinkets from BH help to keep multistrke high, but also i saw EM/UF/EF was the choice and they LBs were double the cast I had, and hit much harder. Their LB's also hit much harder... i'll perhaps try that on ne
    Last edited by fLaPjAk; 2015-04-02 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fLaPjAk View Post
    We then tried mythic beastlord and i tried hard to pad with the adds - our enh shaman was holding 65k-70k constantly... with the padding (CL+EQ x 2 on adds) i sustained about 30-35k... but on two or three attempts I dropped the padding and focused on just ST on the boss (or cleave) and dps dropped down to 28k...

Is EotE/PE/EF still go-to for ST? should i be dropping my periodic AOE for just ST?
    Depending on your raid's comp, AoEing the adds can be frustrating with how fast they die. My raidmates tend to smash the adds's faces in, so I also focus primarily on single target. I run EotE, PE, and SET for mythic Beastlord. When adds do come out, I try to time them reaching the boss with the end of a Chain Lightning cast so I can get EQ out quicker, but it doesn't always work to my favor.

If you really want to try for AoE you can run Liquid Magma. You won't be able to use LM for every add pack, but you can use it for every other one. Just use it when the adds are out of the gate area.

Looking over your log for your longest fight on Beastlord,

• You might not be casting Earth Shock often enough, possibly wasting Lightning Shield charges and 2pc uptime.
    • Don't use Lava Beam. It's much more important to get the boss and his mounts down.
    • Looks like you're prepotting a little too early.
    • You're using UF a lot. Unless you need to move (quickly or have no instants to cast), there isn't much reason to use it so often.
    • Lots of FS the spears. Unless your guild is having issues killing spears, I wouldn't dot them so much. (Another reason to use Liquid Magma, LM will seek out the adds and also hit the spears.)

You're actually not too far off on dps from what I was on my guild's first kill of it, our ilvls were about the same too (compare here). I made a lot of mistakes that night and have learned how to better deal with mechanics allowing me to focus dps better now, so hopefully this post helps you some.

Quote Originally Posted by Devos Songare View Post
    Depending on your raid's comp, AoEing the adds can be frustrating with how fast they die. My raidmates tend to smash the adds's faces in, so I also focus primarily on single target. I run EotE, PE, and SET for mythic Beastlord. When adds do come out, I try to time them reaching the boss with the end of a Chain Lightning cast so I can get EQ out quicker, but it doesn't always work to my favor.

If you really want to try for AoE you can run Liquid Magma. You won't be able to use LM for every add pack, but you can use it for every other one. Just use it when the adds are out of the gate area.

Looking over your log for your longest fight on Beastlord,

• You might not be casting Earth Shock often enough, possibly wasting Lightning Shield charges and 2pc uptime.
    • Don't use Lava Beam. It's much more important to get the boss and his mounts down.
    • Looks like you're prepotting a little too early.
    • You're using UF a lot. Unless you need to move (quickly or have no instants to cast), there isn't much reason to use it so often.
    • Lots of FS the spears. Unless your guild is having issues killing spears, I wouldn't dot them so much. (Another reason to use Liquid Magma, LM will seek out the adds and also hit the spears.)

You're actually not too far off on dps from what I was on my guild's first kill of it, our ilvls were about the same too. I made a lot of mistakes that night and have learned how to better deal with mechanics allowing me to focus dps better now, so hopefully this post helps you some.
    Thanks for that - i'm getting progressively better as I get more comfortable with the fights. To your points, I think I'm going to drop UF and stick with an easier EM/PE/SET build and focus on LB/CL casts until I can get into a better position where things are second nature.

I also deleted all of my addons, I think it's time to plug these into muscle memory and stop tunneling on the rotation helper...