Uh, LOL, what do holy paladins do in dungeons?

For the last several years I have only played DPS, and over 10 years, not much but DPS, so I know what DPS toons do ( die )..... and I never really watch what anybody else is doing. So, I started a holy pally, and it occurred to me that I don't know what I do in dungeons.... Sure, I heal, but do I also get involved in any DPS? Or do I only heal?

I will likely heal my first dungeon today in over 5 years... might be even longer.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really sure how serious the question is. Obviously, you spec/queue as a healer, your primary focus should be healing.

If you have that covered sufficiently and no one is dying, then DPS'ing is fine.

If people are dying and you're trying to top meters while queue'd as a healer, then you're a jackass.

You are the sustainer. You keep the group alive through fights.

This gives you a priority system of tank live, healer lives, dps lives (in order of how useful they are - damage output, utility being used, and ability to not waste your mana by moving out of crap all factor in here). You heal, you dispel, you interrupt or CC if the first part is under control (or if interrupting will save you serious healing). If all that is under control, you can dps a little to speed things up or meet a timer of some sort.

If healing a dps standing in fire is endangering the group by impairing your ability to heal the tank or yourself, rez the dps afterwards. Explain that group progress is the goal and your mana had to go to priorities. If your mana can take the waste of the dps standing in the fire and it doesn't endanger higher priorities (tank, yourself), you either heal the lazy dps (because he probably won't learn and rez is such a long cast time) or you try to teach the lazy dps a lesson (which might lead to large amounts of drama and slow down the run) - your call.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    I'm not really sure how serious the question is. Obviously, you spec/queue as a healer, your primary focus should be healing.

If you have that covered sufficiently and no one is dying, then DPS'ing is fine.

If people are dying and you're trying to top meters while queue'd as a healer, then you're a jackass.
    A holy paladin isn't going to top the damage meters unless everyone else is afk.

7+ Year Old Account
    You throw some beacons out.
    Rebuke and Stun everything.
    Touch people with your hands when you can.
    auto attack and heal.

OR you can be basic and just heal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    So, I started a holy pally, and it occurred to me that I don't know what I do in dungeons.... Sure, I heal, but do I also get involved in any DPS? Or do I only heal?
    START by just healing and nothing else. Get a feel for it. Run a few dungeons a day JUST healing. No DPS at all.
    Once you feel comfy and can predict how fights will go, where and when you need to focus on healing, you can start helping out with the damage.
    Until you are comfy doing both, do what you signed up for.

Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    OP is asking for help on his pally, not a priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post

I was / am serious. Thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    START by just healing and nothing else. Get a feel for it. Run a few dungeons a day JUST healing. No DPS at all.
    Once you feel comfy and can predict how fights will go, where and when you need to focus on healing, you can start helping out with the damage.
    Until you are comfy doing both, do what you signed up for.
    This is kind of what I was getting at..... thank you.

Some tips for 5 mans:

Beacon of Faith is an alright talent, but Saved by the Light (SbtL hereafter) actually works pretty well in 5 mans. Switch between beaconing and healing the tank directly and healing the DPS if the DPS are taking unavoidable damage that you should be healing through. Once the tank gets the SbtL proc you can switch your Beacon to a DPS that tends to take damage and just bomb the tank from there until the DPS gets the proc or the 1 minute timer on the tank's SbtL. Beacon of Insight can -sometimes- work, but both Faith and SbtL are better choices in this case.

Both Eternal Flame and Sacred Shield are fine, so just pick the one you feel most comfortable with. If you're going EF stick to 3 HoPo. There is some synergy with SbtL and Sacred Shield since you can always cover someone who doesn't have Beacon on them and it'll never overheal.

Sanctified Wrath talent + Merciful Wrath glyph will let you make liberal use of Avenging Wrath, so have some fun with that if you'd like. Holy Avenger is plenty good too. Holy doesn't get much from Divine Purpose unless we have the T17 4p bonus, so I'd just avoid it if I were you.

The level 90 talents each have their pros and cons so just use what you like best. I think most people default to Light's Hammer because the cooldown is alright to use and it deals damage while healing an area.

Fist of Justice is probably the best level 30 talent since Blinding Light basically requires you to be in melee range and it can cause issues with mob pulls. Repentance is only useful if there's a specific target that should be CC'd for a long time while the group murders other things. The example I'm thinking of for that is in a Cataclysm dungeon End Time where you tend to CC the Infinite Warden/Suppressor trash that's right before Murozond so there isn't annoying damage going out.

Level 15 talents are whatever you like but most avoid Long Arm of the Law because it requires using Judgment on something and it's annoying to need a target for a speed boost.

As mentioned by others, once you get a feel for the healing and utility then you can start helping out with DPS. In fact, if you're geared and glyphed correctly for it you can do pretty nice DPS as Holy but it is at the expense of less or no healing.
    Last edited by Jackielope; 2015-05-01 at 07:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

It kind of sounds like you haven't played since Vanilla. Specialization roles are much more focused now, Holy paladins really aren't damage dealers in Pve. You will always be casting spells, so the person who told you to get up close and autoattack smh. I recommend a youtube guide or Icyveins for advice about holy paladins. In Pvp you can actually play a holy paladin that does some damage, but no way do you want to waste that holy shock or WoG as damage when you could use it to heal a team mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    It kind of sounds like you haven't played since Vanilla. Specialization roles are much more focused now, Holy paladins really aren't damage dealers in Pve. You will always be casting spells, so the person who told you to get up close and autoattack smh. I recommend a youtube guide or Icyveins for advice about holy paladins. In Pvp you can actually play a holy paladin that does some damage, but no way do you want to waste that holy shock or WoG as damage when you could use it to heal a team mate.
    Quite incorrect actually. I never played Vanilla, for one. Spent most of my time in Wrath with a couple months at the end of Cata.

Perhaps you should take a look at this thread to see some of what I've done. I'll get some links to a dropbox set up to show the SimC results.

Of particular note is this log of a holy paladin doing 30k DPS: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...pe=damage-done

In short, it can be done for some grins and giggles and in some cases it'll outperform other players who have worse gear and/or who play worse. See the poor Enhancement shaman that got beat by the holy paladin. You're right we don't do competitive DPS (assuming competitive is at least Ret level, which many people don't think it is but that's a different debate), but we can do enough to be surprising.

By the way, the reason Blizzard nerfed Glyph of Holy Shock in 6.1? If they hadn't, we'd be doing Ret levels of damage single target which was 44k last I checked things. Since the item level buff I'd expect us to be somewhere between 41-42k DPS in BIS BRF gear and playing a perfect Patchwerk fight. We were already doing 40k DPS before the buff.

I suppose you latched onto "pretty nice DPS" in the last part of my previous post? There was an implied "for a healer" after that.
    Last edited by Jackielope; 2015-05-02 at 08:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    In real simple terms: you heal.

Nobody dies? Good job, you win. Someone's dead, is it cuz they are standing in bad? If so, blame them. If not, you failed, heal more.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

I startet healing with my pally recently, too.

It's awesome! (and really easy).

I'll skill the 2nd beacon at the lvl 100 talent, put one on me, one on the tank and just holy light the 3 dds. It's like punching three Ballons, back into the air again and again till the loot drops out. (sometimes a Ballon lands in the fire, but don't worry. It's important to let em burn. They won't learn else.)

Since you have to get the silver-challenge first du queue up for heroics, you won't go in completely blank.

Deleted
    I usually keep up EF on everyone and just DPS with denounce and other damage dealing abilities.

Deleted
    In WoW, healers are healbots, you're not supposed to dps, you're supposed to just stand there and heal. Occasionally though some cc and something.

You heal.
    You rebuke.
    You stun.
    You cleanse.
    You use hand of sac.
    You use hand of protection.
    In your free time when you arent needing to do any of the above, you use denounce.

You keep alive the people whoa are the most useful to the group. If someone is standing in fire and not moving, i don't waste time on them.

Quote Originally Posted by dixincide View Post
    People said they felt molested. Is it so wrong to /w them with something like "I love you and I don't want you to die ... <3" using a macro?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you do Endless 30 in proving grounds then you should learn how to do other stuff than healing, such as interupting, stunning, and so on and so fourth.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Heal me so I can continue to be awesome!