10+ Year Old Account

What PvP spec are you and why?

Hi,

This isn't one of those "what's the best PvP spec" threads.. I want to hear your opinions and why you play the spec you have chosen. Whether it's for the burst, the survivability, or even just the personal preference.

Cheers!

Deleted
    I play all three specs depending on the situation:

When running around open world I prefer BM. It's pretty much immortal against any PvE thingy you encounter, so having mobs pulled when someone attacks you isn't big of a deal. Quick burst with BW and done, most of the time. If the enemy is more formidable, BM is one of the best 1on1 specs around anyway.

When doing unrated/rated BGs I use MM with Lone Wolf with 4set. Frequent quick bursts with Rapid Fire is enough to kill 1 or 2 healers against unrated and lowly rated groups, and when I'm not killing them on my own the damage alone CCs the healer anyway, because he can't heal anything else but himself. Most of the time that's enough to break a zerg. Consider dropping the 4set for versatility should you find yourself to be a priority target.
    Exception: When running a dot-comp in rated BG - I use Survival.

When doing arena it's very comp dependent between BM and SV but I try to be Survival most of the time, simply for superb melee control and very strong defensive play (rooting snake trap/lesser CD on traps/ability to drop 4set without much impact) and the ability to still dish out pressure outside of (non-existant) cooldowns with one hand on the keyboard while the other holds a beverage of choice.

My personal preference doesn't really matter tbh, because I don't have one. All specs feel very similar and I consider myself a hunter, not a beast master or whatever

Deleted
    I've switched between all 3 specs but tend to keep MM and BM.

I always do BGs as MM. Lone wolf only if we have enough healers because of the hugeeee damage.
    Wpvp and Ashran always MM Lone Wolf since you are ranged and don't get targetted plus you can always get away/get healed.

I go BM in arena due to los'ing aimed shot is really annoying, and your pet does pressure during los.
    Also BM in duels.

In short MM in open world plus not targetted = killing machine.

I personally don't like surv that much because of no burst, damage feels low and seems like it doesn't do anything (due to dots) and I'm too spoiled with killshot.
    I mean why would i want to see 5k babydots all over the screen compared to chunking 75% HP in 2 sec? =D

Feral + SV Hunter

While some might say those specs are some of the easiest to play in WoW my opinion is they are just right! Feral has stealth and a crazy 3min CD 15sec burst window, while SV has no such thing and its burst is tied to Trinket CD and TotH proc while making sure I pooled enough resource to not fall short. Feral on the other hand its vital to only pop that huge CD when you know the other team has control (stun, sap, fear, terror, knock back, pull, ect.) on CD...So many times I poped my CD only to lose 80% or even 90% of the 15sec in some sort of CC...Hunters don't really have that worry (SV).

On the control side a Feral who can't clone is of no use at all and I am not that good at it, so the build challenges me to learn other classes and builds and figure ot how to use my abilities to land a cyclone on the right target at the right time.

SV on the other hand I seem to have a knack for trapping, I rarely miss and don't need help to set it up, but in any case I always use partner: for example Bash-->Trap-->Cyclone...In any case its a high control pressure build that can burst with x4 set (Dispel means you get a free reset and instantly put it back up)

Other than mousse wheel for arena targeting I use focus interrupt macro and focus mini pet shield wall for my healer and that's it...while Feral needs more for roots, heal, rejuv, dispel, bash, interrupt, cyclone and thats too much buttons...

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys, very interesting.

May I ask why Survival in PvP? it seems losing Kill Shot is a huge loss in PvP? Also, for me Lone Wolf is the "Yolo" spec unless you guys are actually summoning your pets to masters call/roar when things get messy? or do you simply not bother with the pet and try your best not to be focused?

Although you don't have a CD, with high Mastery SV deals an impressive sustained damage continuously. Why do you need a CD when you are always performing at your best.

SV offers lots of snares, lower trap CD and does magical damage. You can play it with two variations to suit your style: Mastery/Mutil with 4 pz or Mastery/Versa without 4 pz. Both are viable but I like the Mastery/versa combo, it adds more survivability and more damage output.

MM is kinda ¨slow¨ with Aimed casts and BM can be crippled with the pet. Most skilled players snare, trap, fear, kill your pet rendering you useless while you revive it.
    Last edited by Ayazaki1218; 2015-08-04 at 02:42 AM.
    Howl to the stars wishing I could be one....

Been trying to find whats good this season.
    Right now I'm sticking with BM and its working fine but I feel like Survival is the way to go now.

- - - Updated - - -

Been trying to find whats good this season.
    Right now I'm sticking with BM and its working fine but I feel like Survival is the way to go now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by avatarshaoran View Post
    SV offers lots of snares, lower trap CD and does magical damage. You can play it with two variations to suit your style: Mastery/Mutil with 4 pz or Mastery/Versa without 4 pz. Both are viable but I like the Mastery/versa combo, it adds more survivability and more damage output.
    Exactly the reason why I play SV in pvp and in open world. SV just gives me the freedom to kite and think about my strat in 1v1 or in arenas. DOTs doing damage and I can focus on dispelling buffs setting traps ect. And like you said on use trinket with lock and load + crows is a solid burst each minute.

Mentioning that you have Exotic Ammunition at your disposal. You can change them between constant snare or heavy pressure with poison. It adds strategy choosing the right Arrow Type for each situation/BG.

Foes have lots of melee? You need to slow down that pesky Flag carrier? Stall those frikin' demos? Ice Arrows are for you!
    Enemies have plenty of casters? You need to put the ¨ooomph¨ on those annoying healers? Build up DoT damage? Poison Arrows are for you!

So far, I haven't found a niche for the Fire Arrows thought....
    Howl to the stars wishing I could be one....