Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Holding your right mouse and turning as the same effect as strafe, so you can use that to adjust and when you get used to it just change the keys to strafe when you feel ready.
    Or you can keep that way.

Why would you want to Keyboard turn?

Rebind Stafe on A & D, have Q & E as action buttons. Turn with your mouse. If you've buttons on your mouse, it's even easier to play. I suspect though this is just a bait thread ...

Deleted
    I have right mouse pressed half the time (or more) while I'm walking. I turn and aim by moving my mouse with my right mouse button pressed. I changed "turn left" and "turn right" into "strafe left" and "strafe right".

The only thing I find I miss is that I unbinded "back" because I found myself backpedaling too much. The result, however, is that I'm less proficient at jumping obstacles, because they sometimes require you to take that bit more distance before jumping (or you want to do a small jump with less lateral movement). I might end up re-binding my back button.

Deleted
    It's easy to learn to be honest. After a couple of muscle memory mistakes it sinks in. I kept backpedaling though, it seems useful even for dpses sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by karmlol View Post
    The only thing I find I miss is that I unbinded "back" because I found myself backpedaling too much. The result, however, is that I'm less proficient at jumping obstacles, because they sometimes require you to take that bit more distance before jumping (or you want to do a small jump with less lateral movement). I might end up re-binding my back button.

Yeah it's too much to unbind it if it's not absolutely required because it can't be replaced with right clicking. Right clicking has its drawbacks sometimes but at least it can replace turning fully. Backpedaling does not have an alternative at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Yeah it's too much to unbind it if it's not absolutely required because it can't be replaced with right clicking. Right clicking has its drawbacks sometimes but at least it can replace turning fully. Backpedaling does not have an alternative at all.
    Well, my (PvP) consideration was the question whether backpedaling has any use at all. After all, it's slower, so you're always better off strafing (which still allows line of sight for shooting and spellcasting).

Outside of PvP, however, in particular the jumping obstacles bit, I do find that I miss it a bit.

backpedaling is really useful for melee in some situation/positioning.
    For caster/hunter you should never do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz770 View Post
    backpedaling is really useful for melee in some situation/positioning.
    For caster/hunter you should never do it.

Why? Casters bave instant casts.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflakesz View Post
    Keyboard turning still exists in 2015. Really?
    You'd be surprised. Every now and then threads will still pop up like "I got to 2k and I click" and then the shitstorm follows.

The way I see it, if people don't want to learn and are having fun, let them do their thing.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    Clicking has nothing to do with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡͌l
    Don't have turn keys bound, still use skey. It's useful for tanking, or moving back when speed isn't an issue. I tank rarely enough that I honestly think it's a wasted bind for me. Honestly, the only reason I see that someone might want to keep turning is to fly/run in perfect circles.

What exactly are you suggesting is an advantage to having keyboard turning available? And do you think it outweighs having abilities bound in such a valuable spot?

Let's say I'm jump shooting on my hunter and alternating left and right strafing while turning 180 degrees with each jump. I have no issue using the time during gcd or casts to let off my right mouse button and swap targets. I actually do this in raids all the time. On my mage I swap to a target mid cast, put them on focus, and swap back before my cast even finishes.

If someone isn't up to this task they can stop running in a straight line and angle themselves at like 10-15 degrees and still meet the facing requirements to cast while changing targets. In this case you do lose an negligible amount of distance between the person you're kiting.

You can't do the jump shooting/casting method I mentioned while keyboard turning, it's completely a non option unless the thing you're kiting never moves to the area your back is facing when you're strafing to one side. In that case you have to turn your character a full 180 degrees, which is incredibly slow with keyboard turning. I did this all through wrath on my hunter and it is horribly inefficient.

Let's say you're just straight running away from someone and don't use camera auto positioning. You face your camera behind you and swap targets while casting instant spells with no facing requirement like dots. Honestly neither kb turners or mouse turners have an issue with this. The combination of strafing and forward running can meet any requirement needed in these situation.

Keyboard turning alone has a major drawback, it's hella slow. You can literally run circles around keyboard turners so that they can't ever face and attack you in pvp. This makes mouse turning just flat better in all situations imo. Even if you come up with some supplemental reason to use keyboard turning as well, I doubt it will compete with using those spots for spell binds.
    Last edited by Honkeymagoo; 2015-12-02 at 05:33 AM.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    Clicking has nothing to do with this.
    clicking and keyboard turning are the same level of bad.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkeymagoo View Post
    Don't have turn keys bound, still use skey. It's useful for tanking, or moving back when speed isn't an issue. I tank rarely enough that I honestly think it's a wasted bind for me.

Some ranged have instant casts and it's rarely useful when retreating.