Shadow - dropping 4set for parse?

Well tonight I decided to try something unusual during our heroic sale run. I knew our Iron Reaver killtime was going to be incredibly short, so I decided to try dropping my 4set in favor of 2 non-set pieces with mastery sockets. I used the Kilrogg chest and Iskar shoulders, both crit/mastery with a socket. Everything else was max mastery, barring the Kilrogg cape which I still don't have. Completely unbuffed, the set I was using gives me 146.62% (4281) static mastery. I'm also still missing Edict; beyond that I'm fairly BiS.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&source=41
    I did 193k dps. Normally my dps caps out at around 160kish on that fight. Killtime was just under 1 minute.

I definitely think this idea was a good one for that parse, but it was based on a hunch. I haven't played around any further with it since I can't find consistent kill times until my guild goes again, but I'd like to have a general gist of how short the killtime has to be to make this a viable choice.

Of that DPS gained, how much do you think was attributable to the killtime (about 15-20 seconds shorter than usual) and how much to the increased mastery?

More importantly, how much DPS does the 4set really add during such a short fight, since it takes a good ~15 seconds to come up (at which point you've missed out on having that multistrike during the ring)? Boss was at something like 40% before my shadowfiend even expired, so I wouldn't have enjoyed much time with the multi buff anyway.

I would entertain the idea of dropping the 2set too but it seems not to be worth it, since the pants/glove already have mastery and there aren't any pieces with stats that blow those out of the water, as it was with the shoulder/chest.

It's been a while since I crunched the numbers, but the 4p bonus is worth roughly 600 PP, so yes it would be theoretically possible to beat it out with nearly perfect off pieces. You had a 50s fight, so the uptime on your 4p set bonus probably would have been pretty low anyway.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

Deleted
    I think this falls to category of "depends on how many crits you get during ring"

Also another thing, how much haste you need to fit 5 blasts into ring with BL and PI?

e: meh probably not worth it. 5 casts inside ring would be 3sec cd, so 1 lost gcd there. You would have to cast second blast with 2-3 RoW stacks and also lose insanity/spike dmg.
    Last edited by mmocc7b0f56dc9; 2016-04-26 at 11:53 AM.

PI really? I've never found PI to be worth it, always outmatched by ToF even on speed parse fights <1min. Bloodlust covers for it, and by the time it's done we're in execute, and 15% at that time is always more dps than PI ime

FWIW, in simcraft, PI beats out ToF on pure ST with a pure mastery set.

However... it's not a huge difference, and the true key to most parses is trinket uptime and pretty much nothing more and nothing less.

Also except for Fel Lord there are no single target fights in HFC... on super-duper farm status... you could perhaps include Kormrok in there if you start at purple and aim to kill before hands appear. I'm racking my brain trying to think if any other fights would fit that model, but I'm coming up with a blank. IR maybe, but you definitely can proc ToF most of the time by just tapping Cascade when the bombs come out. So really it's just down to 2 fights...
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles