Question Chat Hide/Show with "Enter"

Sup guys, just messing around with the chat, I have to say that I freaking love Diabolic UI (by Goldpaw) and I really like the way the chat works, just like in Diablo III it shows and hides with a single key: Enter. I want to tinker my own custom UI and make the chat in wow have the same minimalist functionality, I know there's an addon called HideChatButton which has more or less that function, it toggles the chat frame with a keybind but the problem is that if you map the "Enter" key to the addon then you can't "open" the small chatbox, you need another key for that.

Then I found a macro command:
    Code:
    /run _CHATHIDE=not _CHATHIDE for i=1,NUM_CHAT_WINDOWS do for _,v in pairs{"","Tab"}do local f=_G["ChatFrame"..i..v]if _CHATHIDE then f.v=f:IsVisible()end f.ORShow=f.ORShow or f.Show f.Show=_CHATHIDE and f.Hide or f.ORShow if f.v then f:Show()end end end
    It does the same, you can put the macro in a keybind but you need another key to open the small chatbox...

Here's my question:
    Is there a way to automatically show the chat frame AND the chatbox with a single keybind?... Enter... show chat frame and typebox... read/write... Enter... hide chat. Something that also worked with slash commands.. / show chat frame and typebox with a / typed in... write/read... Enter... hide chat

Also found another macro command to toggle the quest tracker (which I think is horribly designed by default) but that's another story.
    Last edited by Blakmane; 2016-09-29 at 02:01 AM.

Deleted
    I am not quite sure if it's what you are looking for:

/run ChatFrame1:SetParent(ChatFrame1EditBox)

Needs more work though for multiple chat windows I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
    I am not quite sure if it's what you are looking for:

/run ChatFrame1:SetParent(ChatFrame1EditBox)

Needs more work though for multiple chat windows I guess.
    Holy #$%# what kind of fel sorcery is this?... it did it... works as I need it... let me check it out in detail...

- - - Updated - - -

It works perfectly, the chat remains hidden altogether unless I hit "Enter" or the "/" command... awesome but is there a way to turn it into an addon that loads automatically every time I log?

Deleted
    You can just add ChatFrame1:SetParent(ChatFrame1EditBox) it to any addon you use.

Or you use http://addon.bool.no/ add

local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
    f:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_LOGIN")
    f:SetScript("OnEvent", function()
    ChatFrame1:SetParent(ChatFrame1EditBox)
    end)

and create your addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
    You can just add ChatFrame1:SetParent(ChatFrame1EditBox) it to any addon you use.

Or you use http://addon.bool.no/ add

local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
    f:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_LOGIN")
    f:SetScript("OnEvent", function()
    ChatFrame1:SetParent(ChatFrame1EditBox)
    end)

and create your addon.
    Genius... fucking genius... thanks mate

Resurrecting this old thread of mine to see if someone can help me with the following, the chat frame blizz has made for newer games like Overwatch, Diablo3 and HotS is WAY more intuitive, fluid and discrete than the current chat frame in WoW, in newer games the chat behaves differently:

- The typebox and chatframe with the background show up with Enter press.
    - The typebox and background hide after the next Enter press but leave the text for about 10 more seconds before fading.

The addon material our friend Miiru here provided works very very close to this, with one exception, it completely hides the chatframe after Enter, text and background, so the text is not there anymore for it to fade on its own.

Is it possible to create a custom code that behaved like what I mentioned before? Pretty much like in OW, Diablo3 and HotS...

...also

Is there a way to remove the word "says" after each NPC or player name?...

[Player] says: blalablabla... to [Player]: blablabla...
    Last edited by Blakmane; 2017-03-20 at 03:44 AM.

Been hours trying to bend Chatter or Phanx or Prat to what I want but damn... is just too complex for me and seems like the default wow chat API is a dinosaur with a few dead ends for certain modifications, I now understand why there's no other chat addon besides those 3 and why they're kind of outdated.

Blizz made clean, sleek, discrete and properly functioning chat frames for most of their newest games (Overwatch is a masterpiece really) but Wow's default chat frame (and 90% of the default UI) remains a sack of rotten potatoes...

Someone with deep LUA knowledge REALLY needs to create a brand new chat addon for wow that worked like the chat in newer games:

chat frame is hidden
    press Enter
    editbox & full chat pops up
    write
    press Enter
    editbox & chat background fades
    text remains few seconds
    text fades

Blizz seems to know this by now since all chat frames in other games now work this way, no idea why the biggest game in their plate still has such a poor interface when they clearly know how to make top notch interfaces
    Last edited by Blakmane; 2017-03-21 at 02:16 AM.