Deleted

Blades of the fallen prince and class fantasy

Hello fellow DKs,

I am writing this post to share with you some of thoughts regarding the frost dk artifact weapon and frost class fantasy in general. I wont be discussing balance changes or dps, I want to talk about the feeling you get when playing frost. In my opinion a spec can still be a enjoyable and a lot of fun to play, even if it is underperforming, but sadly this is not the case for fdk.

We all know that artifact weapons and class fantasy were supposed to play a big role in legion gameplay. For most of the specs I think Blizzard did a good job in making people expirience the right vibe when playing their fantasy class. We have SPs turning mad and dealing a shit ton of dmg, Moonkins calling the down... the Moon. Ret palading got to turn things into ash with the Ashebringer, Ench shamans get to literally devastate everything in their wake with the power of Doomhammer etc.

I am sure a lot of you remember WC3 and of course remember Frostmourne. The sword played a huge role in the campaign and lore wise is one the most famous weapons in the entire Warcraft universe. The blade of the Lich King, the blade that killed kings and destroyed kingdoms, the blade that can cut and imprison one's soul, the blade with the power to bring back the dead. All of you that played WOTLK remember the cinematic trailer, as Arthas slowly walks down in the frozen wastelands of Icecrown with some epic music and narration by Earl Boen, draws his enchanted sword and plunges it into the ground raising the mighty Sindragosa from her grave. Throughout the years Blizzard has made Frostmourne and the Lich King into an embodiment of pure epicness.

When I found out that frost DKs will inherit the legacy of Frostmourne in the form of Blades of the fallen prince, I was so hyped and this was one of the reasons why I decided to roll DK. It was probably my mistake to have such high hopes, but now I feel realy disappointed. It seams like FDKs got screwed over in the artifact ability department. I still can't figure out the purpose of Crystaline Swords, a passive ability, terrible animation, the only time I see this ability exists is when I look at the dps meter. Blizzard could have easily used a tooltip that says "Increase overall damage by 5%", because this is all the ability does, it is not connected in any way or form to Frostmourne or to our class fantasy. For many Sindragosa's Fury is the real artifact ability, but the long cd makes it feel detached from the gameplay and brings absolutely no dynamic to the playstyle. When fighting a single target we just spam 3 buttons and pop cds, I personally dont feel any impact from our artifact weapon abilities at all.

To be honest for most of time during 7.0 i thought that Crystaline swords was just a placeholder, but seeing the 7.1 patch changes I get the feeling that Blizzard are content with our artifact and think that it fulfills its class fantasy part. Maybe I am thinking about this to much but taking in consideration the huge story behind our weapon, I think Blizzard could have given us something more enjoyable and fun to play with. I want to hear your opinions on this topic and are you guys happy with our artifact weapon.

Thank you all for spending your time reading this, I hope you all have a nice day

First of all, I have to agree with you that the CS ability is bad, and doesnt fit really much to
    the whole story behind Frostmourne.

What you have missed, is that Frostmourne was actually destroyed and lost all the souls the Lich had captured.
    The souls was the thing that gave it so much power, and what we have now, is only a shadow of the real Frostmourne.

I agree that Cindy and CS should be swaped out just to give a more epic feeling on the artifact.
    But the story of the artifact? Let's say, much has yet to come.
    There is a lot of interaction with the swords. A lot of NPC react to you having those blades, and as we all should agree, reforging this blade wasn't the best idea in total.

And about 7.1. First of all, lets keep it straight.
    7.1 is just a patch with not that big of content. Its not the kind of patch that Blizz would use to change things like artifact abilities or big game mechanics.
    We get a dungeon and a small raid as placeholders before the real action in Night Hold begins.
    I can see those kind of things be included in tier 20 patch (7.2 or something), but not before Gul'dan falls.

I agree with absolutely everything you said. The hype was indeed real. Wielding a reforged Frostmourne...but... there's no feeling of epicness wielding these weapons. Most of the artifact traits are passives that don't even impact gameplay too much. Frost might as well be renamed into Passive Knight. As you said, Sindragosa's fury is the only trait that seems to have some sort of significance, but the cooldown is simply too long and the damage is not noteworthy.
    Though I try to enjoy frost, it really feels lackluster. I honestly hope this spec would get more attention and a redesign, but from what I've read so far, people have been complaining about frost's state for quite a while and their thoughts haven't been taken into consideration.
    Been thinking on this for quite a while. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

blahblahTwoHandedblahblah