resto: 880 cocoon vs 845 int/mastery

I've had horrendously bad luck with trinkets thus far :/ I've been using DMC:hellfire and love it for the raw stats. Most fight I'll use my 845 int/mastery stat stick, some fights I'll use amalgams 7th spine. Last night in raid I got an 880 cocoon. It's a pretty massive amount of int ~1500 vs 1100 int/900 mastery of the stat stick, and the cocoon has the ~38k mana per minute, which is almost one surge per minute. I think the stack stick is still better, but not sure how close the 1500 int is to the 1100 int/900 mast

Deleted
    Do you know how to Sim? If so, you should probably try that to get an approximate how much the 400 int gain is worth. It all depends on your playstyle and what you tend to do most (single target healing, aoe healing, topping off, etc.) In my eyes the 880 is better than the stat stick.

Here is my reasoning: 400 int is counted on all your heals and increases your heals overall while mastery just increases the heals the lower the targets get. Since I am mostly spamming people with healing wave, I don't get as much out of mastery as other shamans might. That means in my situation I'd be much better off with a 400 int gain. I'm thinking, if I gain 900 mastery, but I never or rarely use it, what good is the 900 mastery gain to me? Close to 0. On top of that I also get mana every 2 minutes? Now I can spam more healing wave and HR.

Overall, I'd say you should try each item out in an almost identical environment, and see which one you like better. Maybe run 2x mythic+ maws with the same group and compare your healings between the two runs. You can always expand your data and try more runs or different things.

Oh and try out Sims if you haven't already. They let you modify your personal stat weights for your personal healing style. We can debate about stats all day long, but in the end no one's opinion matters, just your own does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldriel View Post

Here is my reasoning: 400 int is counted on all your heals and increases your heals overall while mastery just increases the heals the lower the targets get. Since I am mostly spamming people with healing wave, I don't get as much out of mastery as other shamans might. That means in my situation I'd be much better off with a 400 int gain. I'm thinking, if I gain 900 mastery, but I never or rarely use it, what good is the 900 mastery gain to me? Close to 0. On top of that I also get mana every 2 minutes? Now I can spam more healing wave and HR.
    TBH, I can't agree with that reasoning at all.
    Here's why: Mastery also affects people who are almost topped off, resulting in just needing 1 HW to be topped off, instead of 1 and then some.
    In the raids I've been (6/7h) up until now, the times where people were all topped off, are quite rare. At some times, they are even quite low.
    Also: I don't know why, but just using HW spam to heal is not doing your job well. It is efficient, yeah, but you get much more out of a combined chainheal/tidal wave/surge or wave playstyle. And in this case, Mastery also is quite nice.
    And tbh: the manareg is shit^^ Looks good on paper, but I'm having some trouble to use it every 2 minutes, without leaving the other healers be. Fights like cenarius don't allow a 10 second disable.
    But on one point, you're correct. The 400 int are a nice boost vs the 900 mastery on the stat stick. and the manareg is ok when used.

To op: try out cocoon, and if you're fine with it, use it. I have a 865 one and I find it underwhelming to gain 1 surge per minute for a whopping 10 second disable. You're better off healing a bit more budgetwise for an amount of time (like riptide/HW) to "reg".

Most top ranked shamans are using the cocoon, because the int is amazing. No one uses the on use effect, besides in 5 mans. Just use a mana pot/leytorrent, if youre strugling with mana the last few % it might be decent.
    Theres nothing that forces you to use the 10 sec do nothing effect just because its there.

I'm in the same situation deciding which trinket to use its a bit hard.

I have 850 heightended senses (ursoc trinket)
    An 855 Nagifar Fate (maw of souls)
    An 850 concave reflect lenses with a socket

Deleted
    I refuse to believe that piece of shit cocoon has better throughput than heightened senses/nightmare fog of even 1 lower tier, or even a 870 stat stick from world quest with int/mastery or int/crit.

Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    I refuse to believe that piece of shit cocoon has better throughput than heightened senses/nightmare fog of even 1 lower tier, or even a 870 stat stick from world quest with int/mastery or int/crit.
    If I had an 870 stat stick I wouldn't even be asking the question lol. I would take that over anything. I'm not a big fan of most proc trinkets because the proc hits so randomly, but I'd love a naglfar or vial because both have the shielding proc, which is a whole different cup of tea IMO. Idk 1630 int is a LOT of int so I'm thinking about sticking with it. I used it in a couple mythic+ but it's hard to tell the difference.