30k average DPS starting Legion?

I just started doing the Legion quests aas Ret and find I am only averaging 30k dps and fights take a long time about what I would expect if I was Prot.

Is this normal?

If so leveling this pally is going to be as excruciating as it was back in vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    I just started doing the Legion quest and find I am only averaging 30k dps and fights take a long time about what I would expect if I was Prot.

Is this normal?

If so leveling this pally is going to be as excruciating as it was back in vanilla.
    Nothing about Legion leveling is as excruciating as leveling in Vanilla. Do what most people do and level as Prot so you can just grab groups and aoe them down, usually goes faster.

well we do scale with high ilvl if you know that, and when you open your traits your damage will scale,
    forget about your dps right now , concentrate on gearing up and open traits, and you'll see the difference

Deleted
    Some additional information would be nice...

is this a freshly lvled character wearing quest greens/blues from WoD lvling?

Regardless:
    Mobs are actually tougher to kill in Legion than the pushover we had back in WoD. Not more than 1 or 2 should be taken on at once.
    The mobs stay "dangerous" until you outgear Suramar (850ish gear).

I call bull on mobs being dangerous. Pulling ~4 mobs on a level 99 ret Pally easily (more if they're demons thanks to Ashbringer stun). Which is still a half WoD geared Paladin and still get out of fights with the amount of health lost that equates to 2-3 FoLs worth of healing afterwards. Hell, this toon still has an ilvl 496 timeless isle piece of crap trinket, because this toon was a long time unused level 90 mule untill two days ago.

Paladins feel inherently tough to me. On my UH DK I was popping cooldowns like mad. My Enh Shaman felt like wet tissue paper in comparison. The only way I've died is by jumping off a cliff like an idiot because I was used to being on my Priest with slowfall or pulling that level 112 elite that I mistook for a rare (and consequently splattered my Light bearing ass all over the floor).

The biggest thing you have to look out for are telegraphed attacks like stomps, smashes, etc, use stuns and use interrupts on spells. Easy to avoid but actually dangerous if you afk spam your abilities. Beyond that, just test the waters for how many you can pull. Just watch out for casters that you can't bunch up and AoE.

If you want ez-mode, go Prot at 102. I already levelled a tank and you will be nigh unkillable in questing content. I just found it mindnumbingly boring, so I pretty much only go DPS on alts to level. That being said, the first few times you mass pull half the map was quite fun. Just got a bit repetitive after a while.
    Last edited by Reavyn; 2016-10-28 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Some additional information would be nice...

is this a freshly lvled character wearing quest greens/blues from WoD lvling?

Regardless:
    Mobs are actually tougher to kill in Legion than the pushover we had back in WoD. Not more than 1 or 2 should be taken on at once.
    The mobs stay "dangerous" until you outgear Suramar (850ish gear).
    The pallys gear is ilvl 701 WoD epics I think I will follow the the others suggestion of switching to Prot to level when I can get the quest to get Prot weapon/shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    I just started doing the Legion quests aas Ret and find I am only averaging 30k dps and fights take a long time about what I would expect if I was Prot.

Is this normal?

I highly doubt you leveled in vanilla because if you had you would know paladin leveling in any expansion was no where near even 1/10th as bad as vanilla. Your leveling consisted of judgment, seal twisting and auto attacks.

Your dps listed is about right for someone that is not heroic/mythic HFC geared and without being geared ret is going to feel painful. Before the healer dps adjustments I would say just level as holy as it was truly better. Prot is a bit more forgiving at that lower gear level and I would recommend giving it a whirl using a build such as this.

ret does terrible dps until you get a few artifact levels and some gear. prot outdamages ret by alot up until about 840-850 ilvl and obviously levels faster and easier.
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.