Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    btw, you can even go to wiki page of elo rating system to read that initially he took the gaussian curve to modelize the distribution, but later was found that other asymmetrical curves were better suited in this modelization

The first mathematical concern addressed by the USCF was the use of the normal distribution. They found that this did not accurately represent the actual results achieved, particularly by the lower rated players. Instead they switched to a logistic distribution model, which the USCF found provided a better fit for the actual results achieved.
    That's specific to chess. I am not sure there's a reason to extrapolate that to videogames. This is just a warning sign that normal distribution might not be a good approximation of skill for a specific activity (and so please check what the skill distribution is like for what you are trying to measure, etc). If that's the idea you wanted to convey, then fine.

---
    Added: change "might not be a good approximation" above to "might be somewhat worse than other approximations". Normal is completely adequate in the vast majority of cases, including chess. It's just that it might be improved with measurements specific to the subject.
    Last edited by rda; 2017-01-17 at 05:03 PM.

I consider myself a good over. I don't PvP cause I suck ass. I didn't like it back in TBC and never git gud

/merged into above

Random BG's are too unorganized and result in a lopsided victory almost always, and I'd prefer to play with randoms. I feel like my individual skill is, mostly, pointless.

Organized PVP is too rigid, sterile, and toxic unless if you play with a very relaxed friend, and just tends to not be any fun either. Individual skill shines here, but everything else ruins the experience.

I wish there was some form of deathmatch free for all, or something.

You see a lot of crossover in problems MOBAs have with multiplayer with the kind of problems an MMO like WoW has in PVP, just not to such an extreme degree. Same reason I tend to stay away from that genre.

I have been playing since TBC and doing plenty of casual pvp at the same time with a number of specs. In Legion I rarely even bother because:

a) Pruning. This is the first expansion where I cannot find a spec to enjoy for more than 5 minutes because the vast majority of the utility/non-purely dps abilities has been removed and the reworked specs play like shite. This is the number one reason by far
    b) Reward systems. Complete and utter RNG nonsense for gear, no currency to let you target what you get etc
    c) Templates. Up to WoD you could tailor to a certain degree your stats to fit your playstyle, now you play as you are meant to and you'll like it (even if it's shite)
    d) Highest entry barrier ever. Between the weapon AP, gear differences (that will be going up per major patch) that can't be reduced with currency-based sets, and the grind for the Honour Talents you should pray you like your spec and that it doesn't get obliterated by the devs half-way through the expansion.

i used to pvp (was consistently at 2200-2400 in wrath and TBC)
    then cata just made it way less fun and then it's been consistently getting worse and worse, due to all cooldown stacking and mobility creep

PVP is garbage in legion.. well thats why im not playing at all.. i thought its impossible to make the game worse than it was in wod.. well they managed to make it worse.. honestly isnt even surprising

I got tired of getting killed by a healer because they don't take damage. It shouldn't take 5-8 players to kill one druid, and only then because the whole team had to blow all their cooldowns to do it.

Also, the sheer number of premades in random BG's makes it impossible, and not enjoyable. Even a 3-man team in a premade usually can't be beat, since they are typically in voice chat and can coordinate better.
    Last edited by Etoo; 2017-01-17 at 06:32 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    i did pvp before.
    casually, nothing special, then legion happened and im not gonna touch it again.

i love legion and as a frost mage i love executing enemy players with glacial spike, but legion pvp is simply not fun.

Formerly known as Arafal

It really comes down to a lack of in-game time I think. PvP is most fun with a group using voice comm, and my guild tends to be PvE focused, so... yeah.

I don't dislike pvp per se, I just don't like it as much as pve.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do random BGs but I stay away from rated PvP as I can't find a good way to enter the scene. I want to do rated BGs and everyone requires experience. Even the "yolos" require experience and none of my in game friends are interested in PvP. Arenas I just don't like the premise of it. Glorified duels etc

10+ Year Old Account
    I suck. I either get brain lock and panic or I get stun locked and pissed off.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because there's gear, artifacts, pvp talents and no matchmaking. All of that causes major non-skill based disbalance.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I used to do do PvP up until TBC, but I just don't like the way it developed. I liked it more when it was slower paced and not as overladen. Now it's this silly, premediated counters and counter of counters game and just twitchy, chaotic and more something for hyperactive youngsters I guess. I can't make myself enjoy it enough to actually learn anything about it.

Also, I tend to get desinterested in any kind of "competitive" video game in general, because there's just something about the cultural aspect of it ... I feel that in many cases, competitive video game players are some of the most insufferable and pathetic idiots out there, I just can't stand being around them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't PvP in WoW because other games do PvP better, due to not being character progression based nor being MMOs
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

I ground two characters to rank 10 in vanilla solo and predominantly off of losing games to pre-mades. It was a miserable experience and one I cite for my hatred of PvP to this day.

Even when I did join a PvP guild just for 'fun', it never was when we lost. I generally found that PvP brought out the worst in me. I got angry at the opposing team, I got angry at my own team, I got angry with myself. When I lost a 1v1 I'd beat myself up for the next hour about what I didn't do or could've done differently. Class imbalances and gear discrepancies didn't help. Hard counters existed and there's nothing you can do about it unless the other person sucks at their class.

I also don't have the same confidence I used to have, which has only been made worse by not playing through most of Cata, MoP, and WoD. I've had to re-learn everything. I don't have enough knowledge of my own class let alone other classes to know how to react anymore, so when I get PvP flagged in Legion I expect it to be a no contest kill if someone attacks me. There's nothing fun about that.

The only thing I do miss and wish I could still do is the old vanilla AV battles. I really enjoyed healing the beastly melee classes from the back lines. It didn't matter if we made any progress in the BG or not, I loved turtles for that reason.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    PVP is only for people who are comfortable with losing, it's only for folks with quick reflex's and deep understanding of skill/play/class's/and rage.

PVE isn't easy at high skill level either, but it's much quicker to lose to a high skill level opponent and move forward in pvp, then it is to grind your face against a boss for 2 months straight until everyone gives up lol

I generally PVP during the lulls between PVE but seeing as Legion is just never stop grinding I haven't even thought about it.
    Hi Sephurik

I've only ever liked world pvp. Ganking nubs while they're doing dailies and questing is the best.

I don't pvp often, I'll dabble in it once in a blue moon, but as for Legion, the most pvp I've done is the world quests, though I'm lucky if I get attacked at all, most that happens is a random person walks through and I end up killing them and I never see them again.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."