Gathering Storm and Remorseless Winter

Am I the only player that, when using the Gathering Storm/BoS build, has found that intentionally overcapping the SHIT out of RP in order to keep stacks of GS building is a massive dps increase over casting Frost Strikes to not overcap, and letting it fall off? This has been the case on every pull in a heroic nighthold clear vs a normal nighthold clear. It wasn't even a close contest, on some bosses it was as much as a 90K increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Monoliith View Post
    Am I the only player that, when using the Gathering Storm/BoS build, has found that intentionally overcapping the SHIT out of RP in order to keep stacks of GS building is a massive dps increase over casting Frost Strikes to not overcap, and letting it fall off? This has been the case on every pull in a heroic nighthold clear vs a normal nighthold clear. It wasn't even a close contest, on some bosses it was as much as a 90K increase.
    Well ofc, you may want to read the GS Talent slowly. Then you will find out that every additional stack/proglonging of RW increases its damage by 10% up to 10 Stacks (100%).

As we germans would say: "Those who can read have an advantage, indeed." No offence :P

Quote Originally Posted by varraz View Post
    Well ofc, you may want to read the GS Talent slowly. Then you will find out that every additional stack/proglonging of RW increases its damage by 10% up to 10 Stacks (100%).

As we germans would say: "Those who can read have an advantage, indeed." No offence :P
    It is 15% now...

No, with that build it's better to over cap RP then let your runes cap. I find it enjoyable, a more balanced approach to not letting my runes cap, but also not sitting at 0 like MG Frost.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

A more interesting question, is how is the priority affected by the legendary helm and FF? Prioritizing dumping runes over RP during RM with GS is reasonable, but I'm not sure skipping the uber HBs is advisable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoeth View Post
    I'm not sure skipping the uber HBs is advisable.
    Complete napkin math but I'm fairly certain you shouldn't be doing that even without helm/FF because the free HB still counts as a rune for GS. When I'm in RW phase I usually just spam Obliterate/Rime until I'm spent, then FS to get back runes. When I'm not in RW phase I try to spend all my RP and pool 3 runes if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TENTACLELUVR View Post
    because the free HB still counts as a rune for GS.
    Are you sure about that? I've heard the same about OB under obliteration (still counts as 2 runes consumed). If true, then yes it would certainly be better to consume Rime under GS.

100% sure, just check the buff when you use Rime.

Quote Originally Posted by TENTACLELUVR View Post
    Complete napkin math but I'm fairly certain you shouldn't be doing that even without helm/FF because the free HB still counts as a rune for GS. When I'm in RW phase I usually just spam Obliterate/Rime until I'm spent, then FS to get back runes. When I'm not in RW phase I try to spend all my RP and pool 3 runes if possible.
    It does count as a Rune but some of the strength of GS is being able to refresh the duration of your RW with a 10 stack still on you. The REAL benefit to GS is the duration extension (since you should always be going for that 10 stack anyway) and Rime only gives you a .5 second increase vs obliterate's 1 second. Keep that in mind when you decide what to do.

I'd love to know the correct thing to do between these 2 situations. Assuming ERW and BoS are up, and RW is off cooldown with a GS at 10 stacks, is it better to straight up spam Obliterate every GCD to extend RW indefinitely, or is it better to alternate Obliterate/HB then recast RW when it falls off?