Sacrificing ilvl for 4-set bonus. How much is too much?

With the 3rd wing of Nighthold LFR opening the coming Wednesday, I can finally get a shot at obtaining the 4-piece bonus, since I am not in a raid guild and only plays casually.

My gear is mostly around ilvl 875, with two ilvl 900 (BoE Ahoy!). Obtaining the set would decrease my average ilvl by around 15-25. I don't have the set gear right now so I can't put them in Sim, and I kinda don't want to waste Seal of Broken Fate on them if they are not gonna be good.

Is there any maths or thread around here that answer my question? Thank you

Edit: Updated some mistake in my post
    Last edited by nothingsjim; 2017-02-20 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nothingsjim View Post
    My gear is mostly around ilvl 875, with two ilvl 900 (BoE Ahoy!). Obtaining the set would decrease my average ilvl by around 15-20 (Or even 40 in case of my current ilvl 900 cloak!).
    I'm assuming you mistyped about AVERAGE ilvl as it's impossible to drop that many.

If your gear is mostly 875, LFR set pieces aren't much lower. I'd recommend manually adding the pieces into SimC using the item ID from wowhead

What kind of stuff do you do casually? I think the 4 piece is really only that great for long fights (ie, raid bosses). If you aren't raiding that much, or are doing mostly M+ stuff, the set bonuses are probably not all that amazing.

2 pieces isnot worth, 4 pieces is worth to drop ilvl always

I've dropped about 5ilvls for my 4piece (2 heroic pieces, 2 normal)

I dropped only 4 total iLvls to equip my 4-set, but it's 65 iLvls on pants (legendary) and 5 on gloves. 20k DPS gain for Fury in sims, though.

Quote Originally Posted by orgonutil View Post
    2 pieces isnot worth, 4 pieces is worth to drop ilvl always
    this is just not true, 2pc is most definitely worth dropping item levels - but simming is your best option.

Deleted
    As fury, to get 4 piece my ilvl dropped from 892 to 887.
    This involved replacing some 890 pieces with mainly 860 tier pieces (one piece was 875).
    and also removing my Legend Cape (as one of the set pieces was the cape), and putting in Sephuz (I also have Ayla's equipped). I have to check if Stride would be a better choice.

Either way, my dps went up about 15% as a result sim wise, and probably about 10-12% in reality (yeah I'm not the greatest)

To those that replied (I.e. Whether the 2p or 4p) are worth it, just out of curiousity, how did you know what spec he was talking about?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nicbizz View Post
    To those that replied (I.e. Whether the 2p or 4p) are worth it, just out of curiousity, how did you know what spec he was talking about?
    Post history shows he's Fury (he's made a couple posts recently about being Fury), but frankly it doesn't matter. 4pc is good for both dps specs and worth dropping the ilvls for any realistic amount of ilvl that you would lose swapping to tier pieces.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |