Having an odd issue with Legion.

So I'm enjoying the content. I'm enjoying the story. I've found plenty of specs that I enjoy. But I can't seem to play any of them for crap. I've never been a 'high end' raider, but I've always been a competent one. Yet I've tried a few different specs and classes now, and every time I find that with my current gear I can't even pull half the numbers I sim for. I've never had this issue before and I can't understand it. I look into the spec each time, set up the WAs, do my research, but I keep failing at playing it well. With one exception that is...but Balance Druid literally puts me to sleep.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Have I just become a crappy player? Or Legion just going to be an off expansion for me?

7+ Year Old Account
    the dps hps, and tanking of a good player and bad player has grown SO MUCH over 13 years, in vanilla if you were a bad warlock you did very good damage, if you were an amazing warlock you did abit more dps, but you also managed your soulshard much better, help with banish and curse when needed.
    hell i was 9 in BC and i was able to pull amazing numbers playing my DS/ruin warlock

now adays a good dps and an amazing dps of the exact same everything but person can double someones dps
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatog View Post
    So I'm enjoying the content. I'm enjoying the story. I've found plenty of specs that I enjoy. But I can't seem to play any of them for crap. I've never been a 'high end' raider, but I've always been a competent one. Yet I've tried a few different specs and classes now, and every time I find that with my current gear I can't even pull half the numbers I sim for. I've never had this issue before and I can't understand it. I look into the spec each time, set up the WAs, do my research, but I keep failing at playing it well. With one exception that is...but Balance Druid literally puts me to sleep.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Have I just become a crappy player? Or Legion just going to be an off expansion for me?
    Simcraft has a player skill setting (under Options) - make sure it's set at average or good, not Elite which, face it, most of us aren't.

@FelPlague Lack of variance in early wow days was bc of lack of spec complexity. Later on though the variance was way bigger than it is now tho. With the removal of snapshotting and prevalence of rppm vs on use trinkets, a lot of control has been taken away from the player and dps is a lot more standardized (higher floor, lower ceiling) and for some specs at the mercy of RNG. True that spec complexity plays a part in widening the margin of good, average, and bad players but I think that window is way smaller than it used to be, esp in middle expansions. Blizzard has been trying to close it (much to the dismay of many high end dpsers who want their performance to really matter).