what boss should i use sea star on

i know sea star is for aoe bosses but i hate it...im a holy priest btw.

It usually gives me 1-3% healing maybe 5 or 6 on like 1 time ..

but i prefer to use stat stick...

what you think should i keep using sea star or not use at all anymore and if i do use it what boss is garunteered worth it...

my other trinket is velens

Deleted
    Any boss where there is a good amount of stacking, sea star is confusing in it's description but what it really does is place a buff on yourself that radiates healing to near by players this is why it's bis for pallies since they always stack on melee.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    Any boss where there is a good amount of stacking, sea star is confusing in it's description but what it really does is place a buff on yourself that radiates healing to near by players this is why it's bis for pallies since they always stack on melee.
    they say its BiS for holy priests also but im not a big fan of it..doesnt seem to really proc that much for me and the skill needed for it is a mana drainer.

Deleted
    if you play piety you play sea star and consistently get 4%+ out of it

Quote Originally Posted by ali725 View Post
    they say its BiS for holy priests also but im not a big fan of it..doesnt seem to really proc that much for me and the skill needed for it is a mana drainer.
    And that's were you are wrong. The wonderful thing about sea star's procs is that they are not your typical RNG. Usually trinkets with a proc effect have an X% chance on cast that the proc will happen -- the chance is independent for each cast (thus in theory you can get 10 NON procs even when the proc chance is 99.9%).

New deck system guarantees you X procs for every Y casts (X positive cards in a deck of Y cards) -- e.g. for the sea star the deck has exactly 10 cards and IIRC 4 of them are positive (= will proc) for Holy priests. The trinket also has 8s internal cd and 8s duration which means you can't stack procs -- also while the buff is active you are not drawing cards from the deck while casting PoH.

This system means it's pretty much impossible for you to have lower number of procs than anyone else unless you are using PoH incorrectly (or simply less).

Keep in mind that it works with your mastery. If you have 50% mastery and it does 4-6% healing, that's an additional 2-3% from echo of light as well.

Sea Star is the best throughput trinket for Holy, before the legendary one.

As others said, it does not have a proc-per-minute like most trinkets, it just has a flat proc chance for every cast. I've seen it proc back-to-back 4 times in a row before. For other healers, their AoE heals have a cooldown, but Holy can use PoH as often as needed, and thus, you can proc the trinket way more.

I used it on all fights, since the range on the proc is somewhere around 15-20 yards, IIRC. It was always around 6% of my healing, which is huge for a trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    it just has a flat proc chance for every cast.
    No it doesn't! It has a flat amount of procs per 10 casts - EXACTLY 4 times out of 10.

The proc CHANCE is actually pretty dynamic:

1. cast:
    40% chance

2. cast:
    44% chance for no proc in cast 1
    33% chance for proc in cast 1

4. cast:
    57% chance for 0 procs in casts 1-3
    43% chance for 1 procs in casts 1-3
    29% chance for 2 procs in casts 1-3
    14% chance for 3 procs in casts 1-3

7. cast:
    100% chance for 0 procs in casts 1-6
    75% chance for 1 procs in casts 1-6
    50% chance for 2 procs in casts 1-6
    25% chance for 3 procs in casts 1-6
    0% chance for 4 procs in casts 1-6

9. cast:
    100% chance for 2 procs in casts 1-8 (no less than 2 procs are possibe at this point)
    50% chance for 3 procs in casts 1-8

10. cast:
    100% chance for 3 procs in casts 1-9

This is quite different than standard proc chance trinkets with PPM since it guarantees a minimum number of procs.

FLAT proc CHANCE means that it could (with no PPM limit) more or less probably proc any number of times per 10 casts (including but not limited to 0 and 42 645)

If we had a trinket with 30% proc chance and 5 PPM a minute long sequence would go as

1. cast
    30% chance

N. cast
    30% chance for 1-4 procs in casts 1 to (N-1)
    0% chance for 5 procs in casts 1 to (N-1)

Sea Star technically has a 7.5 PPM. Since it can't proc while already active and the effect lasts 8s. In practice lower due to casts and cds (depending on class).

I've seen it proc back-to-back 4 times in a row before.
    8 is the maximum for priests
    Last edited by pseudoJ; 2017-09-19 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoJ View Post
    wall of text.
    This seems like a lot of unecessary information

What you need to know about the trinket is:
    1. Its a 10 card deck with 4 true cards
    2. It cant proc when its already up
    3. It has a 15 yd range
    4. It procs mastery
    the conclusion you should draw from this
    Each PoH cast draws a card, unless the buff is already up.
    You need to be close to people for it to actually do any healing, and its overbudgeted by also providing mastery healing. If you are doing 3% healing its obviously not good, but if you are playing somewhat well you should see numbers closer to 6-8% + mastery.

So OP should either learn to play properly with the trinket, or just swap trinket, cause 1-3% really isnt cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by theburned View Post
    This seems like a lot of unecessary information
    What you need to know about the trinket is:
    1. Its a 10 card deck with 4 true cards
    This certainly explains how the system works -- If I only haven't said just that and if only anon5123 didn't interpret i a "flat proc chance".

So sure, the post was certainly totally "unnecessary"... if you knew how the trinket works (but maybe then it wasn't meant for you).
    Last edited by pseudoJ; 2017-09-19 at 05:06 PM.

What I meant by "flat proc chance" is that it's not a PPM / RPPM trinket like most trinkets are. It can proc back to back to back, the only limiting factor is that it can't proc while the buff is already active.

No need to go full-textwall on me over such a minor technicality.

If you dont feel the benefit of using Sea Star, we need more information to provide you a summary of how you can better utilize Sea Star.

My assumption, and it is just that because i can't see your logs or character, is that you do not cast prayer of healing enough or at ideal times.

You're going to see more benefit from a stat stick if you aren't playing holy optimally, or if you choose to utilize a playstyle that does not favor prayer of healing, because Sea Star only procs off of PoH.

Regardless of PPM, or Deck style Trinkets, that's the meat of the issue. Look at logs of other holy priests, and look at their amount of PoH compared to yours, and see if there's a large difference, because that's going to be the greatest clue as to why you aren't getting as much out of the trinket as projected.

the only limiting factor is that it can't proc while the buff is already active.

No need to go full-textwall on me over such a minor technicality.
    Yet this is not true again ... but lets stop the argument here. Maybe I just misunderstood your initial explanation.

The main issue remains that OP is getting really low trinket value.
    Which can basically only be solved by getting closer to people, and trying not to overlap PoH casts with the buffs, or just cast more PoHs in general which might be the entire issue.