Deleted

Shamans and Cata?

Hi there, this might not be the first time someone ask's this question but here we go.

First of all, this is absolutely not a whine/troll thread, i just wanna shed some light on shamans in cata since im considering rolling one.

I was just wondering what do shaman's bring to a raid nowadays? Bloodlust/Heroism, as major contribution, or am i wrong?

And well, my question now is, what about cata? cause, afaik, hunters and/or mages, get something similar to bl and heroism, so will shamans be any usefull? - atm. they are pretty nice healers, however their damage is pretty bad, will this chance in cata, or are they just left behind as useless individuals?

Sorry for mig retarded english.

THx

We can only hope they fix us, now that they got rid of our "spot reserving" mechanic, well not actually get rid of, but they gave bm hunters & mages the same thing. ughhh
    GearScore - is directly related to Skill; the More you care about it, the Less you have.
    GearScore - is like a Bikini; what it shows is Suggestive, what it hides is far more Important.

Deleted
    hmm yeah, you just confirmed my fear.. without that, shamans are kinda useless..

For Wotlk, shamans have very few unique buffs. Tremor totem, cleansing totem, and healing stream are the totems that all specs can use. For Enhance shammies, Str of earth totem gives 23 more str/agil then horn of winter, so it could be considered unique. Elemental's totem of wrath isn't as powerful as a demo warlocks spell power buff. Resto shammies have mana spring which is equal to a holy pallies blessing of wisdom, but they have Mana tide which is unique. Of course we are the only class that can cast hero/bloodlust. All of our other buffs can be brought by other classes/specs.

For cataclysm we will keep our tremor and healing stream, cleansing totem is being removed. That's pretty much it, all of our other buffs are being given to other classes including heroism. It's too hard to comment on damage output in cataclysm. With so many of our buffs being given out it's going to be hard for blizz to fall back on the "hybrid tax" excuse for us being so low on damage. Also the numbers aren't balanced yet, and there hasn't been any lvl 85 raids run to my knowledge.

It's a little worrying honestly. Shammies and ret paladins are the only hybrids that don't have to "switch forms" (moonkin, shadowpriest) to heal, and I think they are going to maybe use that as an excuse to keep our damage low. If being top of damage is one of your concerns, I would just stick to a pure dps class. There's a pretty good chance that they are going to be favored when it comes to balancing output.

If you gaiz can not bring competitive dps or healing, being invited to grp only because of bloodlust, maybe reroll beofre cata, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Biscuit
    I don't want the game nerfed to my level,
    I want to rise myself to the level of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashar View Post
    If you gaiz can not bring competitive dps or healing, being invited to grp only because of bloodlust, maybe reroll beofre cata, eh?
    If you dont have anything interesting to put in o to this conversation go back to play your paladin, ok ?
    "Close your eyes and start runing, wall will find you on it own" - Onearrow
    "Life tap is such a great ability! But why didnt blizzard think about ability that would take your mana and regain your health instead.... oh... wait..." - Entalpia

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashar View Post
    I know about blizzards, bring the player, not the class, arguement.

Im playing a lock atm. and was thinking about getting a shaman for the sake of healing AND dpsing, i know that being a hybrid shouldnt let u top the meters. However, SP'priest and Boomkins do alot more damage in pve to my knowledge than shamans.

I was just asking how much shamans will be left behind in cata..

Your DPS should rise in Cataclysm. A player needs more than a class-specific buff to secure a raid invite now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bring the player, not the class.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Bring the player, not the class.
    This, there almost arent any unique buffs in Cata, just play the class you like, is that so hard?

Deleted
    yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by Condemner View Post
    This, there almost arent any unique buffs in Cata, just play the class you like, is that so hard?
    While I totally agree with you, I think we'd all like our favorite class to be competive somehow.
    (I'm not saying we aren't already, as I know naught of shaman dps.)
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

Elemental DPS is fine(ish) at the moment, there are certain caps or ideal values you need to really be effective. However in Cataclysm it seems quite obvious that the skill cap for Elemental is rising, and hopefully the DPS too. From the PuGs I venture into there are more badly geared and badly gemmed/enchanted Shamans than any other class imo.

In Cata do bear in mind that alot more raids will be 10man, so you need 2 tanks, 2 healers, 5 DPS and 1 DPS/healer(for a few fights perhaps). That doesn't actually leave alot of space for filling up the buffs - with how Shamans are on Beta and PTR I see no problems with obtaining my raidspot, Enhance is a totally different kettle of fish...and ofc resto will always be needed.

Because all the shamans my guild have ever brought have just been taken for heroism and not because they can heal or DPS(!)

Rogues never gave any buffs and they've always been brought to raids, stop being stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Because all the shamans my guild have ever brought have just been taken for heroism and not because they can heal or DPS(!)

Rogues never gave any buffs and they've always been brought to raids, stop being stupid.
    Combat rogues give the +physical damage% buff, the only other spec that can bring that is a arms warrior, and thats almost as rare as a frost mage. Rogues also have tricks of the trade, which is not only a very good misdirection spell, it also gives the recipient 15% damage for the duration. I think maybe you're trolling or you just don't raid much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shaman will be fine in Cataclysm. As far as healing they're still going to be one of the best raid healing classes, and as dps they will be continue to be "good enough" to get a raid spot. You probably won't see groups running with more than 2, but you shouldn't be anyway really.

Deleted
    thx for the help.

This wasnt about topping everything possible just by pressing 1-2-3.. its marely to know/see if shamans are usefull in raids.

Resto is still a great raid healer, and Elemental shamans will now bring competitive DPS (Enh still seems quiete low in DPS). This alone should be enough to bring a shaman to a Raid.

Also, because of the variety of buff shaman have I think they will be in advantage in 10 man mode as they can easily fill any missing aura. Plus, shamans get a concentration aura totem and Resto retains Mana Tide Totem, wich will be of great utillity with the new healing system where mana will be an issue.

So with Good DPS/Heal + BL/Her + lots of diferent buff I dont see why somebody wouldnt want a shaman in their group