Deleted

Help? Laptop screen just suddenly darkened.

So i was using a 22" screen on my laptop for the whole day. I had it setup so its only using screen 2. And not the laptop screen at all.
    The laptop screen is always at 100% brightness and its been working normally all day. But suddenly when i closed the laptop lid it went into sleep mode.
    And when i opened it up again the screen is now very dim. And still it claims that the brightness is on 100%....

Its a HP EliteBook 8540w. Specs in my sig.

Try rebooting?

Deleted
    Doesnt help. Its still just very dim.
    Hm. Hope its not broken :/

Go into BIOS setup and turn up the display setting in there. Its usually something with AC/DC, also you may just be accustomed to the brightness of the 22, but try the bios setting first.

Deleted
    Alright thanks. BTW. just uninstalled my GPU driver from device manager to re install it. But now it wont let me install the driver cause it says: Cant find any compatible device :/... Dxdiag wont show any display device either.

What brand is your video card?

Deleted
    Its a Quadro FX 1800M. But i was able to install the drivers now after rebooting again.
    But about this monitor problem... The BIOS is limited like hell. All the real hardware stuff i can change is HT for the CPU.. and some WLAN stuff. Thats about it.
    Weird mouse-enabled BIOS also :/

Power on, unplug/replug AC adapter. Most laptops automatically toggle max brightness depending on if AC adapter is connected. I had a problem where if I wasn't set on max brightness, unplug/replugging would limit the max brightness while disconnected (even while set in windows) to 2-3 settings lower than the normal max brightness.

Deleted
    Some laptops have power saving settings which darken the screen when they at least think there is no mains supply. I should think some other manufacturers do it but I know Apple have light sensors linked to the monitor brightness also.

Deleted
    This has a light sensor also. But its still showing that the brightness is on 100% and ive never had a problem with it.

And my power plan for battery and adapter plugged in are both 100%. normally the brightness wont change if i unplug the laptop

Have you left it on a bit? CFLs may take a bit of time to warm up.

Try following these steps:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/biz...ctID=c00380256

Deleted
    Well its been on for all day now :/
    And none of those steps are helping :S
    My FN combination buttons have neveer worked anyway (Had this laptop for a few months)
    And i dont have a Lid Actuator switch

I can still lower the brightness below 100 and it will get even darker. But it seems that the highest brightness (100%) Just got lower by over half...
    Last edited by mmoc08e0cbb1c7; 2011-10-18 at 12:30 AM.

Try closing/opening the lid several times is what they said, if there is no hinge actuator.

Deleted
    Yeah tried it. No effect. It does shut down like soppsoed to but the brightness does not change

You should probably have it taken a look at under warranty then.

Deleted

Broken Backlight

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    You should probably have it taken a look at under warranty then.

I agree, I've seen this a good few times, the back light on your laptops screen has busted. Not a big issue if its under warranty.

Deleted
    .... Damn :/ Alright

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Everything you have mentioned sounds like a back light issue for an LCD panel. If it is under warranty then definitely take it in, have your information backed up prior, and chances are they will replace the LCD panel for you.

Deleted
    Hmm.... Wait a second! I just noticed now that the screen is constantly switching now. Very slowly it goes from bright to dim. And vice versa.
    All the time. ... Still points to a broken backlight?

The school will cover warranty by the way. Its my schools laptop given to me for 3 years.