Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by mahananaka View Post
    Does it really matter if someone has 5k health and takes 500 hits or they have 500 health and take 50 damage hits.
    Pretty much this. My Shaman dies in PvP just as quick as he has always died in PvP when someone focuses on me. Doesn't matter that I've gone from having 3000 health back in vanilla to having over 20k now. Health levels can reach whatever as long as damage done properly scales.

  2. #42
    Elemental Lord Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    8,865
    Quote Originally Posted by shitngiggles View Post
    Comparing real world and MMOs never ends well.
    Only if you compare them on a global scale like Real World vs MMO. Comparing isolated systems (Economics, Social, Progress) is fine.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    I find it Hilarious how ppl need to mention the NDA since the health pools are an oficial information.


    Original Image: http://media.dhcdn.com/2011/08/11043...0.EV-00005.png
    Looking at that picture and realizing that literally MAKES no sense at all. In WoW for sure mages had lower health pools and in Rift the same rule applies, so a tank might have 14k health and a mage might hit 8k at most with full raid buffs.

    That is a very confusing screen shot. The itemization must not be anywhere near complete right now.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  4. #44
    Pandaren Monk Shamburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Looking at that picture and realizing that literally MAKES no sense at all. In WoW for sure mages had lower health pools and in Rift the same rule applies, so a tank might have 14k health and a mage might hit 8k at most with full raid buffs.

    That is a very confusing screen shot. The itemization must not be anywhere near complete right now.
    I don't really get what your argument is. You're saying that because WoW and Rift have a certain game mechanic that all other genre-games must follow suit?
    The above SS makes perfect sense to me. Everyone has close to the same HP and the tank classes have damage reduction modifiers via certain stats/buffs/armor. It doesn't seem to difficult to understand, for me anyways.

    It's exactly the same as a "tank" having more health (in WoW as you stated), but instead of said tank having more health in order to tank a boss, they just have better defensive capabilities. It's literally the same thing, actually it's an even better system imho.
    Last edited by Shamburger; 2011-10-19 at 01:33 PM.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    I don't really get what your argument is. You're saying that because WoW and Rift have a certain game mechanic that all other genre-games must follow suit?
    The above SS makes perfect sense to me. Everyone has close to the same HP and the tank classes have damage reduction modifiers via certain stats/buffs/armor. It doesn't seem to difficult to understand, for me anyways.
    It is just throwing me off because I have never seen HP pools that close in a raid. It clearly indicates the endurance stat on end game gear is inflated on purpose or there is some kind of stat modifiers.

    The real question is when is the last time you ever saw the dps's health that close to the tanks health.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Looking at that picture and realizing that literally MAKES no sense at all. In WoW for sure mages had lower health pools and in Rift the same rule applies, so a tank might have 14k health and a mage might hit 8k at most with full raid buffs.

    That is a very confusing screen shot. The itemization must not be anywhere near complete right now.
    Or maybe you know... it's not designed in the way that tanks need almost 2x more health than everyone else. There never really was a reason to give THAT much more health to tanks, since you can just give them bigger damage reductions through armor/talents.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  7. #47
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,326
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Ive never understood why health numbers or inflation is such a big deal. So as a game is out longer and the gear progresses, so does your health. But so does the damage you do. It all seems to even out to me.
    Im going to quote myself here from page one as it seems there is a lot of back and forth going on here, but no one wanted to share some insight as to why this is such a problem. Any takers?

  8. #48
    the 10.5k-13.5k Hp pools in that SS seem about right since when you queue for Pvp which auto buffs you to level 50) even the lvll 14s or so they give you at cons tend to be at about 11.5k hp before the buffs go out.

    As for the lack of difference between tank hp and "caster" hp that's primarily because itemization is a lot like wow. In the sense that a piece of gear has X endurance X "primary stat" and then Y secondary stat. Since the value of X is roughly constant based on the quality and level of gear the only real difference between tanks and casters is what secondary stats they focus on, none of which give hp. Thus the only difference in hp comes from talents and similar passive choices. I'm sure when the game is live and players are actually gearing up for endgame there may be crafted/modded gear that breaks these molds but at least for now a lvl 50 blue has the same amount of endurance whether its for a tank or a caster.

  9. #49
    The Patient creedster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    214
    Erm, it's not a big deal or anything. I was just curious.

    It just 'feels' better when it's in the ten thousands.
    Creedster

  10. #50
    My issue with the huge health scaling is that it makes previous content so insignificant that you cannot really enjoy it, sure it shouldn't be wicked hard, but I would like to at least have to pay a little bit of attention to what I am doing.

    Also when making those big "jumps" in health, it makes the first few hours doing that new content a real pain in the ass. For instance going from outlands at 78 to northrend is actually pretty difficult because you do not have any where near the amount of stats you need to be competitive, and this problem gets worse for a fresh 80 trying to start cata.

    If the health pools and stats in general are a lot more controlled then it makes for a much smoother experience... IMO at least.

  11. #51
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    96
    NDA material. If you can't find an article on it through Darth Hater or the official site theres a good chance you aren't going to get an answer without a NDA breach.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalgren8725 View Post
    NDA material. If you can't find an article on it through Darth Hater or the official site theres a good chance you aren't going to get an answer without a NDA breach.
    Did you bother to read the posts above you?

  13. #53
    Probably for PVP reasons as well. I think it's so you don't get one shotted as a mage type class.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Personally, a game isn't fun if it offers a sort of challenge.
    I pray with every fiber in my being that was just a typo.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    I pray with every fiber in my being that was just a typo.
    Maybe he really enjoyed ICC normal modes with the 30% buff.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    I pray with every fiber in my being that was just a typo.
    Oops. Typo. Rofl.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •