1. #2781
    Quote Originally Posted by Livic View Post
    I just started playing a few days ago and have been enjoying it so far. A friend recommended Garen to me and I find him fun, although to this point I've only played against bots to get to know the game better. On the forums however, I see people saying Garen is pretty bad, mostly because of the low skill cap, and I wonder if this is true? Is it worth going on with him or would I be better off finding a champion with higher potential?
    Garen is fine after the buffs they gave to him a few months ago, there are just better choices.

  2. #2782
    Quote Originally Posted by Ispamx View Post
    Cassiopeia or Zed? I have been looking for a new mid and planned on getting Cassiopeia, but then Zed was announced and now I'm torn. Is Zed decent in the games current state (pre Season 3 changes) or should I just play it safe and go with Cassiopeia?
    Zed is kinda underwhelming atm, Talon is just strictly better, Cassiopeia is a good solo que pubstomper, but she is tough to play, if you can manage to land her Q well you can dominate most of the games.

    For Garen, he got better with buffs, he is good to pick up for a melee toplaner since he is not that difficult to play, but he is just not that great in high level ranked.
    Last edited by Vvhooya; 2012-11-18 at 01:58 AM.

  3. #2783
    I am Murloc! Thallidomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    5,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvhooya View Post
    For Garen, he got better with buffs, he is good to pick up for a melee toplaner since he is not that difficult to play, but he is just not that great in high level ranked.
    He still has the problems that he had pre-rework, in that he's still vulnerable to being kited, and needs to build some damage items to actually do damage, while other bruisers can get away with building all tank items and can still deal good damage, i.e. Darius.

    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

  4. #2784
    If you don't have Sion, get him and learn to play him as an AP mid because he is one of those counter picks that works quite well against those pesky assassin mids. Never really played AP Sion until a ranked earlier today, I barely had any experience AP wise (have played him AD a few times but not in ranked). Saw the Kassadin pick and I thought, "well wouldn't Sion be a nice counterpick to that", went AP Sion and needless to say made my lane very easy. The only problem is watch the spell spam because your shield is the heart of your counter and timing it makes it amazing.

    Just my way of saying buy him and learn to play him because he's causes stalemates mid.
    The Runaway. I love my new nickname. Is there a picture of me? Does it look good?

  5. #2785
    Herald of the Titans Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    2,872
    Got a question related to the thread, though not exactly a champion choice. Didn't want to start a new thread for it, so:
    What runes should I buy next, in what order?
    Currently I have:
    Reds - Att speed, ArP, Mpen, Att Damage
    Yellows - Mana per 5, Armour, HP/lvl
    Blues - AP, MR, MR/lvl
    Quints - AP, Att Damage

    I play pretty much all lanes, so what I need is diversity - which runes would you recommend next?
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for it is that it's not illegal to express."

  6. #2786
    Herald of the Titans The Monado's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hyrule
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Got a question related to the thread, though not exactly a champion choice. Didn't want to start a new thread for it, so:
    What runes should I buy next, in what order?
    Currently I have:
    Reds - Att speed, ArP, Mpen, Att Damage
    Yellows - Mana per 5, Armour, HP/lvl
    Blues - AP, MR, MR/lvl
    Quints - AP, Att Damage

    I play pretty much all lanes, so what I need is diversity - which runes would you recommend next?
    You might want to get Movement Speed Quints for some champions like a ap mid that can roam well or skarner/udyr, stuff like that.
    Armor Reds if you want a specific support page.
    Gold per 10 Quints, for support again.
    You could get armor penetration quints if you ever feel like going 25 armor penetration rune set.
    Other than that, you seem to be fine.
    ~ "Actions speak louder than words do, I don't want to hear dead words from you." ~

  7. #2787
    The Patient Amanaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvhooya View Post
    Zed is kinda underwhelming atm, Talon is just strictly better, Cassiopeia is a good solo que pubstomper, but she is tough to play, if you can manage to land her Q well you can dominate most of the games.

    For Garen, he got better with buffs, he is good to pick up for a melee toplaner since he is not that difficult to play, but he is just not that great in high level ranked.
    About Talon being better than Zed i must say i don't really agree... Talons only escape is in his ultimate..Their burst is kinda similar and Zed have better escape options. However for mediocre players Talon is better due to the fact he is easier to play well...

  8. #2788
    Sooo.. saving for a 6.3k champ.

    I've been playing for a while, tho not consistently. Anyway, I feel the roles that suit me most are mid and adc.

    I only really have one adc that I really like and that's Ezreal, but I'm getting a bit bored of him.

    So I was looking at either Graves or Vayne, and they're both 6.3k respectively. I know Vayne has a weak lane phase, and a strong endgame, and is probably one of the hardest adc's to master, whereas Graves is just good allround, and a bit easier to play. But I have confidence in that I might learn Vayne and play well with her if I just spend some time with her.

    Which one would you recommend, given I spend some time with either of them?

    I only play draft pick normals and occasionally ranked if that makes any difference. Blind pick only if I play with a friend who only has a few champs.
    Last edited by Proberly; 2012-11-19 at 09:12 AM.

  9. #2789
    Pit Lord sam86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    2,457
    Vayne if you know someone who can protect you, Graves for solo games
    What you prefer ? Vayne fed however is a lot better than Graves
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall

  10. #2790
    Quote Originally Posted by Livic View Post
    I just started playing a week ago and have been enjoying it so far. A friend recommended Garen to me and I find him fun, although to this point I've only played against bots to get to know the game better. On the forums however, I see people saying Garen is pretty bad, mostly because of the low skill cap, and I wonder if this is true? Is it worth going on with him or would I be better off finding a champion with higher potential? If change, any advice on a fitting champion?

    I've tried a few other champions as well (Ryze, Vladimir, Elise, Jax, Fiddlesticks, Yorick), but I like Garen the most because of his seemingly good survivability, mobility and burst.
    If you started playing a week ago, play whatever you like. Yes, at high elo garen isn't optimal, but you won't reach high elo any time soon (even if you are pro material). Play garen if you like him, don't be afraid of changing champions, picking sub optimal picks etc. <lvl 30 is the time to learn. I would suggest to quit playing vs bots and just dive right in. You are gonna lose a lot, but better now than at level 30! Learn the ropes while playing with champions that you like.

    When you reach 30 and have a better understanding of the game, then is the time to consider tier picks.

    Also, without knowing how much you play, we can't offer good advice.Garen right now ain't 100% optimal. However, If you reach level 30 two months from now (as an example), he might have been buffed, or the new items of s3 could have made him even unbalanced (or outright nerfed him). LoL changes, so really, focus on learning and having fun for now.

  11. #2791
    Quote Originally Posted by Livic View Post
    I just started playing a week ago and have been enjoying it so far. A friend recommended Garen to me and I find him fun, although to this point I've only played against bots to get to know the game better. On the forums however, I see people saying Garen is pretty bad, mostly because of the low skill cap, and I wonder if this is true? Is it worth going on with him or would I be better off finding a champion with higher potential? If change, any advice on a fitting champion?

    I've tried a few other champions as well (Ryze, Vladimir, Elise, Jax, Fiddlesticks, Yorick), but I like Garen the most because of his seemingly good survivability, mobility and burst.
    Garen is a forgiving top laner due to his passive regeneration.

    However, my recommendation to all new League players is to avoid buying any champions at all and saving all of your IP for tier 3 runes.

    My opinion is simple: I'd rather play all of the free champions and have 3-4 role-specific rune pages than a couple champs that may fall out favor. By playing every free champion with each passing weekly rotation, you will learn the strengths and weaknesses of most of your opponents-to-be. Knowledge of your opponents capabilities is almost as important as mastering your own.

    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    "Elo Hell is where the Ego is greater than the Elo." -Bystekhilcar

  12. #2792
    Legendary! Gallahadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beyond the 1% barrier.
    Posts
    6,332
    Hmmmm.. After playing him this week and LOVING him, I'm considering buying Volibear for solo top, is he remotly viable in anything other than low elo blind picks and bot games?
    Reading A Song of Ice and Fire is like playing with an adorable puppy, then someone comes up out of nowhere, shoots the puppy and punches you in the face.

    Stands in front of 100 enemies with 10% health left "Myeh, I'll save my potions for when I REALLY need them." - every rpg player ever.

  13. #2793
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Hmmmm.. After playing him this week and LOVING him, I'm considering buying Volibear for solo top, is he remotly viable in anything other than low elo blind picks and bot games?
    He's ok, but not the greatest top laner. He can get kited pretty easily. Jungle-wise, he's average to above-average level.

    Depending on the new itemization and new jungle in the upcoming patches, he might be viable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Sooo.. saving for a 6.3k champ.

    I've been playing for a while, tho not consistently. Anyway, I feel the roles that suit me most are mid and adc.

    I only really have one adc that I really like and that's Ezreal, but I'm getting a bit bored of him.

    So I was looking at either Graves or Vayne, and they're both 6.3k respectively. I know Vayne has a weak lane phase, and a strong endgame, and is probably one of the hardest adc's to master, whereas Graves is just good allround, and a bit easier to play. But I have confidence in that I might learn Vayne and play well with her if I just spend some time with her.

    Which one would you recommend, given I spend some time with either of them?

    I only play draft pick normals and occasionally ranked if that makes any difference. Blind pick only if I play with a friend who only has a few champs.
    Both are great AD Carries and I find both fun to play.

    Vayne is a very powerful late game carry provided that you learn proper positioning, shes great. True dmg and high mobility make her what she is.

    Graves is a great also, hes also very bursty. I find him fun when I first learned ADC. Burst and tankiness are what make up Graves.

    Most low elo solo queue games do not last very long, so if you can win lane and force surrenders, its a win. I do recommend graves if u want to carry normally, but if you can make your positioning and other mechanics great, then Vayne can carry at any elo.




    My decision: Diana is on sale, so ill just refund the 6.3k ip i spent and buy her w/ RP. Im not sure what to use the 6.3k ip on, but I need some champs that can also carry hard in solo queue. Its either
    -Rengar
    -Corki & Nidalee
    -Corki & Olaf
    -Corki & Gragas
    -Nocturne
    Last edited by Derention; 2012-11-20 at 03:47 AM.

  14. #2794
    Quote Originally Posted by Derention View Post
    -Rengar
    -Corki & Nidalee
    -Corki & Olaf
    -Corki & Gragas
    -Nocturne

    Corki and Olaf imo, Olaf is a great top. Counters things like Irelia and Yorick (to an extent). He's a decent jungler too. Corki is a pretty decent ADC too imo. Fallen off after the nerfs a bit but still strong.

  15. #2795
    Im sadface at rengar nerf haha best top before.

  16. #2796
    In today's sale there is only Kennen I miss,
    any good reason why I should buy him?

  17. #2797
    The Patient derp singed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    in the League of Draven
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyrosso View Post
    In today's sale there is only Kennen I miss,
    any good reason why I should buy him?
    Couldnt really tell you a specific reason to buy him since he isnt that great anymore. But he's still solid on top lane and ok on mid.

  18. #2798
    I bought Nocturne last night and I'm still learning the ropes with him. His ultimate is just so powerful and makes ganks trivial. I would say saving it for bot lane ganks would be the smartest idea because it's a two kill gank if you know what you are doing. I'm happy I bought him but he does feel a bit iffy in the jungle early clearing.
    The Runaway. I love my new nickname. Is there a picture of me? Does it look good?

  19. #2799
    Pit Lord sam86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    2,457
    Any good enemy team will ward enough to see you before Ulti range, the ulti huge nerf range crippled his ulti-ganks, now you have to get to ward range before you ulti-blink on them
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall

  20. #2800
    Epic! personn5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    US, Mississippi
    Posts
    1,745
    How is Diana now? thinking of getting her(she's supposed to be on sale, but it still hasn't gone up yet).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •