Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Frustrating BG night capped by a 47 KillingBlow Performance - by opponent Prot Pally.

Now, I'm a Ret, but played Prot extensively in PvP.

This pally was outrunning me, out dpsing me, and quite obviously outplaying everyone. Someone teach me please. I need this person's secret.

Deleted
    A prot paladin. with 47 KB's? no. just no.

There's no way you were at 85 and this guy was pulling those numbers, prot is great at surviving but lol'able in the damage dealing department.

I wish I was lying and wish I had a screenie. Not only did it take 3-4 of us to pull him/her down, which I expect from a prot, and love when I play prot, I was being stomped on AND out run. I'm not claiming that the prot pally spec is OP, and I'm fairly certain there are no 'hacks' to enable this type of performance. Maybe a blizzard employee having fun?

Deleted
    What level were you. the only bracket I've ever really been scared of prot paladins is sub 20

Quote Originally Posted by Grewsome View Post
    Maybe a blizzard employee having fun?
    I highly doubt that.

If it was 85, you either had no caster or had horrible ones, thus allowing the pally to run around freely and stomp every physical dps.
    New and shiny compppppp!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is pretty nuts. Obviously he just found the perfect system for himself.

When a wild forum troll appears

Talented or Speed on boots for outrunning

Holy shield + spikes + conc.. = Death to melee

10+ Year Old Account
    Level, ect?

Protection at low lvls can one shot nearly anybody with Avenger's Shield (25 above for 30% more damage to AS). Around the 40s level, they gain even more burst, with the ability to follow a CS up immediately with AS, as well as increased damage on CS/Judgement, Reckoning, and SotR. around the 60s, they gain high crit with SotR.

Prot has higher constant damage then ret. For instance, a Prot will be able to use SotR much more often then Rets can use TV. However, Rets can use TV back-to-back more then Prot, resulting in higher burst (Procs, Zealotry, ect).

Prot is insane in the lower lvl brackets. I dont know about higher lvl brackets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I'm level 85, and our BG group was pretty weak, but we had mostly casters.

I'd think supremely talented, and Pally's cap at 15%. Anyway - all those KB's was just more evidence that I'm really bad at playing a Prot Pally. And evidently a Ret Pally too.

It's amazing what a good player can accomplish on toons no-one thinks can perform.

I've played WoW for 6 months. Most as a Prot, and recently as a Ret. I have have Ruthless, half Vicious. I only bring it up because I know this performance is an outlier and was wondering if anyone else had ever seen anything like it.
    Last edited by Grewsome; 2011-10-19 at 10:54 PM.

You'd be suprised how well the term "tank" still works in PvP, especially against bad teams.

You send a prot paladin on the front lines to provide motivation for a push on your team, either demoralizing the other team or the team will go for the closest target (the paladin in this case). Giving him veangance and alot of damage in the process.
    Attacking a tank of any class is not only a waste of time but also dangerous thanks to Veangance.

Also, killing blows mean jack shit. I can go around tossing my hammer at everyone on low hp.
    He can't outrun you either, unless you don't have Pursuit of Justice, in wich case you should have it... Since it doesn't stack with any other movement speed increase, even boots enchant.

Same reason you see tons of blood dks running around. Trading some damage for survivability means more time in combat, means more overall damage.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

How was he outrunning you....pursuit of justice?

Secret number 1 is to not focus the prot pally
    Secret number 2 is to bring a healer

I can tank 5 or 6 average players as a holy paladin in pvp why is it so surprising that someone who is actually specced to tank and knows what he's doing does so well?

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

yet more proof that all vengeance should be removed from pvp

i hate every single tank spec in pvp, espec blood, and they should never EVER be able to hit you harder than you hit them.

Deleted
    Well, last weekend i joined in one late WSG (about 5h in the morning) and met there 6 bots on ally side... Guild run Finished bg with 18 kills as disc priest what is almost impossible nowadays )

i believe it :P
    back in LK i was prot pally and i was pretty much invincible in battlegrounds...almost always topped killing blows and dmg
    i havent played since cata came out but im sure it wouldnt have changed too much

this guy is obviously very handy with hammer of wrath.

Did he have a healer that your group failed to focus and kill?

I have been in some frustrating random BGs where people will try to kill a tank, and leave the healer alone. That is always a recipe for disaster.

I play a ret paladin, and unless the tank has a healer, or I have less than full health, or another player comes to help the tank and I am out numbered, I will beat a prot paladin. As a frost DK, it is even easier to beat a prot paladin.

The patch to vengeance to make it start faster, and the buff to seal of truth made Prot viable in PvP, IMO.
    Prot pallies bring a LOT to the table in terms of PvP. They're like a ret pally with more range, more silences, a snare, and they don't take damage from nobody. The downside is that your outgoing damage ramps up slower than a ret.

So the strategy to prot is to get a healer to follow you, and be as Rambo as you can be. Four people guarding the flag? Run in and pick a fight. Six of them rushing your side entrance? Meet them head on. You have to have the goal of gaining attrition for your team. If you can keep 3 people occupied with you out in the middle of nowhere, then for those 3 minutes you're out there masturbating, the teams are 9 on 7 instead of 10 on 10. Even if you die without a kill, you've bought your team 3 minutes of positive attrition. Also the obvious roles of flag carrier and flag defender, which are useful in almost every BG. You just have to be willing to take up the roles which most people consider less desirable.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I've run Prot in arenas quite a few times. I run with a BM hunter who stealths in place at the beginning of the fight. The other team inevitably rushes out and goes "well... guess we'll nuke this paladin with a shield, who is probably the healer". They hit me with a bunch of incoming damage which stacks my vengeance to the moon, and then I just lay the smack down with 15000 extra attack power with my hunter friend landing nukes. If that plan fails, I can keep a caster from doing a damn thing for a long time by keeping them under the thumb of my avenger's shield. It isn't perfect, but it works most of the time.