Fix my FPS (not sure if its software or settings related)

I play a Rogue in a 25man raiding guild. I built this computer (actually a friend of mine did, whose more PC savvy than me) back in March of 2009. Aside from my graphics card, everything is the same as it was back in '09. I built a decent machine back then and expected things to "dip" in quality, as PC games demanded more. I would like to keep the quality of the game the same. I'm aware I can turn down all my settings to improve performance, but at the cost of quality. I want to be sure if I can adjust/fix something on my end before I am told; "Its because of x reason... get an upgrade if you want higher FPS." At the moment in 25man raids, I run between 12-20ish FPS during boss encounters... even lower on Rag when the adds pop for the intermission phases. Maybe this is expected for my machine?

is it a SETTINGS issue? ...
    Here is a picture of my current settings: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...4/settings.jpg
    I run everything as recommended at the moment... set to "High" with DirectX 11 enabled. I do play in Windowed mode (could this be the issue?) I've fiddled with having Vertical Sync off/on (with Triple Buffering off/on), but could not notice any drastic changes (I only "tested" it during trash pulls earlier in the week).

is it a SOFTWARE issue? ... (I used the program Speccy to check my software- may have included more info than needed, but wanted to be sure)
    Could one of my components be too low and an upgrade on that "could" boost my FPS significantly without the loss of quality?
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (Yorkfield 45nm Technology)
    RAM: 4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5750 (Diamond)
    MoBo: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-UD3P
    Hard Drive: 147 GB Western Digital, VelociRaptor
    Monitor: Acer P241w, 1920X1200 - 32 bits per pixel, 60Hz

is it an ADD-ON issue? ...
    During raids I run...
    Bartender4, DBM, epgp, IceHUD, Omen, Prat 3.0, SexyMap, Skada, XPerl

is it a combination of things? I know I can turn down settings below the recommended, but don't want to drastically make the game appear bland. Maybe a certain setting (particle density?) is a huge victim of FPS loss during boss encounters? Thus sacrificing one setting could bring up my FPS?

If any other information is needed, please ask. As I went to a huge length to type this up, I would appreciate it if this thread would be civil and respectful and no, "turn down your settings, duh!" remarks. Thank you! :-)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should try what many computer builders use when attempting to identify a specific problem with a computer build: Process of elimination. Turn down graphics all the way. Slowly but surely bring each option up until you hit that sweet spot. But in all honesty, its best to try the way i've listed below:

I can't give you a "This is exactly your issue", but here are some pointers that I have known for some time:

1. Windowed mode has been known to cause FPS issues in certain systems. Maybe more drain on CPU or memory. Set to Full Screen.
    2. Keep Vertical Sync and Triple Buffering enabled. Prevents screen tearing and evens on FPS so its not erratic.
    3. Turn Shadows as low as they can go. Seriously it takes some extreme GPU muscle to generate those shadows, and I hardly notice a difference with them off! My 6990 X-fire laptop drops to 30 FPS in Stormwind because of shadows on high.
    4. Unless you like seeing very far away, try seeing how tolerable View Distance on medium is.
    5. Ground Clutter on Medium. Seriously doesn't add that many extra 2D grass particles in Elwynn Forest...
    6. Particle Density. It seems more annoying than Oooh and Ahhh in 10/25 man raids. I really think it hurts my gameplay when turned up not to mention FPS issues. Turn it as low as it can go.

Out of all these your biggest vices are Shadows (first and foremost) and Particle Density. With those turned down as low as possible, you may be able to leave everything else at its current setting as well as windowed mode. But shadows specifically taxes a GPU at all times while Particle Density tends to rear its ugly head during an intense boss fight.

One day i'll spend uber amounts of money just so I can say I maxed out WoW and had no issues in raids with FPS. Until that day comes, my shadows and particle density is tuned way down...
    Last edited by Isendar; 2011-10-21 at 12:55 PM.
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

Awesome, thanks! I'll turn down those settings first and test how well my FPS works! On the wow forums, someone noted my CPU is dated or not too gaming friendly. Perhaps upgrading my CPU could help a bit as well?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RemJay24 View Post
    Awesome, thanks! I'll turn down those settings first and test how well my FPS works! On the wow forums, someone noted my CPU is dated or not too gaming friendly. Perhaps upgrading my CPU could help a bit as well?
    To upgrade the CPU you would need a new motherboard, memory, and CPU. The Core2Quads are several generations old now. I would recommend changing the video settings first and see if it meets your needs. If not then yes look to a hardware upgrade.

I had a feeling that would be the case. I'm still pretty content with my current machine, I'll try fiddling with the settings come next raid. But I'll be sure to pop back here for when I do decide to build a new machine!