Boomkins and multidotting for DPS

This is a subject I've seen a million times on these forums. But there's still something I'm not clear about.

post-5.4, it's not a single-target DPS boost to DoT up 2 targets, as it was pre-5.4.
    What I want to know is:

How many targets should I DoT up for maximum DPS, in a scenario where they all have to die, ie. Protectors?

Quote Originally Posted by restoxpresso View Post
    This is a subject I've seen a million times on these forums. But there's still something I'm not clear about.

post-5.4, it's not a single-target DPS boost to DoT up 2 targets, as it was pre-5.4.
    What I want to know is:

How many targets should I DoT up for maximum DPS, in a scenario where they all have to die, ie. Protectors?
    I would say dotting them all, all the time is fine, unless youare going to over dps and push 2 of them into their "extra" phase at the same time.

I was only redotting the other bosses each time I hit eclipse though.
    Last edited by Drayarr; 2014-03-22 at 03:48 PM.

Deleted
    On protectors I only DoT the other two with the respective dots when I enter an eclipse, so 4 dots total. I personally feel higher Starfall and higher NG uptime ultimately give you more dps than more DoTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    I would say dotting them all, all the time is fine, unless youare going to over dps and push 2 of them into their "extra" phase at the same time.

I was only redotting the other bosses each time I hit eclipse though.
    Not really looking for help with protectors per se, but multi-target in general, how many mobs are too many to DoT up? When does it become a loss? I only ever see math and numbers about this when people talk single-target relative to SS procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuki View Post
    On protectors I only DoT the other two with the respective dots when I enter an eclipse, so 4 dots total. I personally feel higher Starfall and higher NG uptime ultimately give you more dps than more DoTs.
    I believe that dotting something up with only one of the dots is a DPS loss due to not getting the SS procs up much higher?

Quote Originally Posted by restoxpresso View Post
    Not really looking for help with protectors per se, but multi-target in general, how many mobs are too many to DoT up? When does it become a loss? I only ever see math and numbers about this when people talk single-target relative to SS procs.

I believe that dotting something up with only one of the dots is a DPS loss due to not getting the SS procs up much higher?

no, its about number of targets dotted. you have to strike a balance between dotting and nature's grace uptime and with a lot of targets it can be beneficial to spread around your eclipsed dot on a lot of things instead of full dotting them because the eclipsed dot does a lot more damage.

How many targets you DoT on protectors depends entirely on how/when you get meta gem procs. No one can say "you should only DoT blah blah blah" because it simply isn't static like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    How many targets you DoT on protectors depends entirely on how/when you get meta gem procs. No one can say "you should only DoT blah blah blah" because it simply isn't static like that.
    Would you be willing to elaborate a little on multi-dotting logic? My understanding was that a balance druid's primary concern, even in multi-dotting situations, is to not drop Nature's Grace. Are there scenarios where you'd value full multi-dots over NG? Once NG has dropped, do you immediately push to next eclipse and ignore DoTs? How does the meta gem impact dot application in multi-dot situations? Currently I've been playing like Ryuuki suggested and only dotting protectors (and most other AoE situations) with my eclipse empowered DoT, and only on 3-4 targets before I push to the next eclipse phase. Any more than that and NG will drop off.

Deleted
    As Glurp said, it depends a lot on the situation. It's not as simple as "dot X targets with 1 or 2 dots". You shouldn't look at it like that, instead you should consider every gcd what is best to cast: a dot, a ss proc or a hardcast (wrath/SF/SS). It's really just dots you have to think about since you have to cast those uneclipsed SS/wrath/SF anyway.
    Here's a few examples (do note, it is nowhere as simple as this so don't use this as a rule, it's just examples!):

- You have both dots rolling on all targets and none of them is about to expire. You priority SS > hardcast > dot
    - You are in preeclipse and have both dots rolling on your primary target, but not the rest. You priority SS proc > hardcast dot
    - You are in preeclipse and do not have any dots on any targets. You priority SS procs > dots > hardcasts
    - Your NG and Meta proc is about to expire (2 gcds), you have 3 sec left on your dots and you have a SS proc. You priority dot > SS proc > hardcast
    - You are one cast from leaving eclipse, your NG and Meta proc is about to expire, you don't have a SS proc and you only have 3 dots rolling, 2 eclipsed and 1 uneclipsed, all with 5 sec or left less, what do you do?

In reality, you will often find that your dots fall off on secondary targets during the preeclipse and you don't want to refresh them before you reach the eclipse (unless you have a Meta proc) since you most of the time don't have NG up during preeclipse. If all your dots do run out during a preeclipse and you don't have an SS proc, remember to prio the dot that wont be affected by your next eclipse, since it will only lose 15% haste.

Deciding what dot you want to cast and on how many targets is pretty complicated after the DR was added to SS proc chance, and due to wasted SS procs it is really hard (if not impossible) to calculate exactly what dots you should cast on X targets. Best thing you can do is go by your own and other boomkins experience.

In a way, Nature's grace is great, but the meta proc is stronger, and even trinket procs are better (A trinket proc is nearly a 50% spellpower increase.. meaning your dot is more or less 50% stronger). If your trinkets and meta align with eachother, you definitely want to use those procs to their full potential, which probably isnt using starfire during non-eclipse.

Quote Originally Posted by exolaris View Post
    Would you be willing to elaborate a little on multi-dotting logic? My understanding was that a balance druid's primary concern, even in multi-dotting situations, is to not drop Nature's Grace. Are there scenarios where you'd value full multi-dots over NG? Once NG has dropped, do you immediately push to next eclipse and ignore DoTs? How does the meta gem impact dot application in multi-dot situations? Currently I've been playing like Ryuuki suggested and only dotting protectors (and most other AoE situations) with my eclipse empowered DoT, and only on 3-4 targets before I push to the next eclipse phase. Any more than that and NG will drop off.
    Getting a Meta proc at the right time allows you to spend more time DoTing because you still have a Haste buff active.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Getting a Meta proc at the right time allows you to spend more time DoTing because you still have a Haste buff active.
    So it's all about meta procs while NG is active?
    Thanks, this will probably help tons :3

Deleted
    I normally dot everything on Protectors and my record is 630k or something similar.