Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand

Huge $33 Billion shipbuilding contracts being announced in Canada today...

In about 45 minutes I believe. Ports in contest are Halifax NS, Vancouver BC, and Levis, QC.

The big one is $25 Billion. I'm kind of hoping Halifax wins it, it would do wonders for our economy. But I fear that the Federal Government will give in and give handouts to Quebec to keep them in confederation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...nt-mackay.html

Thoughts?
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    What does the government need $33 billion worth of ships for?

Really.

15+ Year Old Account
    Probably to go with the 100 or so engine-less F-35's that we are getting eventually... -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    What does the government need $33 billion worth of ships for?

Really.
    Securing offshore oil reserves? Also, big expensive shiny things are cool.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I'm kind of hoping Halifax wins it, it would do wonders for our economy.
    . This, for obvious reasons

All of this military/security spending and adventures Canada has been getting into lately is primarily so that our Prime Minister can become GI Steve: Greatest Canadian Hero.

We'll need new ships at some point definitely, but why don't we do something crazy like wait a couple of years and see how we end up after the recession and see how our deficit and debt shapes up before launching a $30B+ new spending plan.

If you're trying to create jobs with spending that will be needed eventually, well that's great too. Rebuild roads and bridges first. That will create more bang for the buck in terms of jobs, and jobs can be created sooner.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Securing offshore oil reserves? Also, big expensive shiny things are cool.
    Well unless there's a dire need for increase in Canadian military capabilities, I'm afraid it's pretty badly spent taxpayer money to produce ships that have little or no economic benefit.

The Economic Action Plan is rebuilding new roads and bridges first. The atlantic is in need of a boost, if you look at the stats, the west is still lush in the job market. Hopefully Halifax get's this. Quebec has had enough hand outs, it makes me sick (Also coming from someone in the prairies).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Well unless there's a dire need for increase in Canadian military capabilities, I'm afraid it's pretty badly spent taxpayer money to produce ships that have little or no economic benefit.
    A lot of the Naval ships we posses now are very old and in need of upgrading. The current government has been making investments in our military that have been neglected for 20+ years.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're trying to create jobs with spending that will be needed eventually, well that's great too. Rebuild roads and bridges first. That will create more bang for the buck in terms of jobs, and jobs can be created sooner.
    Aren't they already doing that in the Montréal area? The one place in the country that really needs their infrastructure fixed.

Not only that but most roads in the provinces are handled by their provincial government... I think the Feds only have a say in the TCH.

---------- Post added 2011-10-19 at 04:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    A lot of the Naval ships we posses now are very old and in need of upgrading. The current government has been making investments in our military that have been neglected for 20+ years.
    This too. I see dilapidated Canadian Forces destroyers in the harbour allllll the time for repairs.

Not to mention those subs we got from the UK? They're still sitting in the harbour. Broken.

Uh oh. Time to start securing the longest unsecured border in the world... (j/k)

I'm not Canadian so I don't have any great perspective on it. It will obviously help the economy wherever the ships are to be built, but whether it's the best way to spend 30 billion for the rest of Canada... who knows.

15+ Year Old Account
    Better than spending more money on more worthless gun registries.

Better than spending more money on more worthless gun registries.
    Yes, when China and Russia and the USA send fleets of warships to secure their claims to resources in the Artic, the brand new Canadian frigates will stand firm and say "No!" and "Non!" and scare away the big, mean battlefleets, and the F35 fighter jets we can't afford to fly will chase them all the way home!

Aren't they already doing that in the Montréal area? The one place in the country that really needs their infrastructure fixed.
    Yes, if they don't do that, the Champlain bridge can fall in the next 10 years.

I don't recommend the federal government to give us the contract since we have a lot of trouble with corruption, mafia, syndicates, etc...

[/QUOTE]But I fear that the Federal Government will give in and give handouts to Quebec to keep them in confederation.[/QUOTE]

Lol are you serious? Paranoia is pretty strong in our english speaker neighbors heh? Separatism is dead in Quebec, don't trust everything you read. Conspiracy is a good seller for the medias.

15+ Year Old Account
    !

Halifax Shipyard won!

15+ Year Old Account
    Halifax Shipyard won!
    Cool! Good news for Halifax, but expect to see Harper parade around the maritimes next election touting the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    Yes, if they don't do that, the Champlain bridge can fall in the next 10 years.

I don't recommend the federal government to give us the contract since we have a lot of trouble with corruption, mafia, syndicates, etc...

But I fear that the Federal Government will give in and give handouts to Quebec to keep them in confederation.

Lol are you serious? Paranoia is pretty strong in our english speaker neighbors heh? Separatism is dead in Quebec, don't trust everything you read. Conspiracy is a good seller for the medias.
    To be fair, Quebec keeps using the spectre of separation to demand concessions or special status. The latest example is the addition of more seats into the House of Commons to more accurately reflect actual populations. instead of demanding properly proportional representation, Quebec wanted to keep the same % of overall seats.

The very fickle nature of Quebec voters also fuels this political behaviour because it makes it seem like Quebec voters can be convinced to switch en masse, and so politicians attempt to bribe them.

Don't we need lots of patrols way up North to protect it from the Russians taking it over?

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    Don't we need lots of patrols way up North to protect it from the Russians taking it over?
    I haven't been following it very much, but isn't pretty much every country with far northern presence (including the US with Alaska) trying to make some claim?

15+ Year Old Account
    Cool! Good news for Halifax, but expect to see Harper parade around the maritimes next election touting the deal.
    We're smarter than that here. We know the decision was done by a comittee outside of the core of the federal government.

Plus, a lot of people here support harper. We just don't support our provincial PC party... although maybe we will with the wonderful things thh NDP have done for us... /sarcasm