Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the 'Hawk' variations of the MSI cards are the Twin Frozr III coolers. Having the cards put on the auto settings also lets the fan choose which percentage of RPM they go up to when the card is under load. Mine currently says 47% and has dropped to 57 C playing Batman since I last posted.

The MSI Twin Frozr coolers are probably tied with the ASUS DCUII for the best aftermarket cooling solution on a card. I've heard amazing things about both of them. And, sadly, both of them can get pretty loud once you start getting up there in the RPM department. Just make sure you have the settings you want and good airflow in the case. I plan on getting 2 more Noctua NF-P12s for my side fans.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any fan will get loud at higher speeds.... Anyone want to hear a reference fan at max speed? -.-
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Lies =P

Noctua fans don't, but then again we don't have Noctua's on the GPUs. That would be awesome though wouldn't it? Having a fan going 1300 RPM and barely being able to hear it. Then again, most of the GPU card fans go way, way above 1300 RPM. Most top out at about 4-5k RPM.

I had a reference 9800 GT that I bought from a friend for 40 bucks before it died. It made a fair deal of noise, but that was because my old case was a piece of crap and did not have any kind of airflow in it aside 1 exhaust fan in the back. So it was trying to keep itself cool the only way it knew how....by using the fan.
    Last edited by Muya; 2011-10-23 at 07:53 PM.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the video the OP linked had the fan at 4,500 RPM at 100%. =X Hell, at about 50% speed my fans on my TFII are at a whopping 2550-2580.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine actually tops out at 4250 it looks like. Somehow, I think that most GPU cards are equipped with Delta fans....not the chainsaw ones, but the wind tunnel ones. At least in terms of noise. And same on the 50% RPM speed, about 2220-2250.
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it's a hell of a lot quicker than my old 9800 GT... that's for sure. Bigger fans = quieter fans.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait for the MSI Cyclone to make a comback? Huh? Huuuhhhhh?
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I think they moved on. ;p
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably. Those things were absolutely monstrous. The first time I saw one in one of Linus' benchmarks videos I was like...what....the...fXXX?
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Deleted
    I have one of those , and YES it will make that sound .... if you go to 100% fan speed.

If you use it like a normal person it wont.

Example , now I'm here in forums GPU temp : 30º
    Fan speed ? : 1770rpm.

Playing ? 54ºC Fan speed ? about 2500-3000 rpms.

Max speed ? 4400rpms.

Now I tried to raise it to check when I could hear the actual fans ( the pc is 1m away from me in a coolermaster CM690 II ) and it is @ 75% to 80% speed when it reaches 4000rpm.

Until then it's completely silent.

I'v set my own agressive cooling fan control, so it would lower it self from 57º max temps to 52-54º max temps ( it wont even reach 47º when playing wow )

So to get my card to run @ 70% ( that isn't something you can really hear over my noctua C14 ) I need it to be @ 70ºC

My card never reached 70º it never reached 60º ... so I never hear it.

Trust me on this , unless your ocing the hell out of it , you won't hear that card and it's actually a LOT quieter than most.
    But ofx , if you record a video go to the fan control and put it @ 100% speed ... you will hear it ... dunno why ppl would do that ... but obviously someone did !

So basically if you buy a MSI twinfroz model and a any other stock , run the same voltages and clocks ... the MSI is quieter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetobe View Post
    I have one of those , and YES it will make that sound .... if you go to 100% fan speed.

If you use it like a normal person it wont.

Example , now I'm here in forums GPU temp : 30º
    Fan speed ? : 1770rpm.

Playing ? 54ºC Fan speed ? about 2500-3000 rpms.

Max speed ? 4400rpms.

Now I tried to raise it to check when I could hear the actual fans ( the pc is 1m away from me in a coolermaster CM690 II ) and it is @ 75% to 80% speed when it reaches 4000rpm.

Until then it's completely silent.

I'v set my own agressive cooling fan control, so it would lower it self from 57º max temps to 52-54º max temps ( it wont even reach 47º when playing wow )

So to get my card to run @ 70% ( that isn't something you can really hear over my noctua C14 ) I need it to be @ 70ºC

My card never reached 70º it never reached 60º ... so I never hear it.

Trust me on this , unless your ocing the hell out of it , you won't hear that card and it's actually a LOT quieter than most.
    But ofx , if you record a video go to the fan control and put it @ 100% speed ... you will hear it ... dunno why ppl would do that ... but obviously someone did !

So basically if you buy a MSI twinfroz model and a any other stock , run the same voltages and clocks ... the MSI is quieter.
    Ok thanks.
    Do you play any GPU intensive games?
    Because WoW is more of a CPU intensive game.

I would love to know what games such as BF3 would push your RPM/temps to.

Deleted
    The higher I ever seen was about 2 months ago ( fairly warmer ) in Witcher 2. It reached 57ºC ( the card is mildly oced 900 core from 820 nothing too shaby , I actually only noticed it now and I'm reverting it to factory default since I don't actually need more performance ) and that's in my msi afterburner fan control 60% ( 3300rpm , usually it won't be this agressive )

keep in mind I have made the fan to be more aggressive to earn some degrees , usually after some time in heavy games it could reach 60º during summer. BF3 reached 54-55º during beta
    remember that I have the 560 TI Twinfrozn and not the hawk version.

I have assembled a pc with a HAWK one and it's the same as this , yes it can reach insane speeds and noises , but it never does in normal usage.

now I'm watching after 2h of wow it's 42ºC the best it can do ( max fan rpm it reaches in my config was 2000rpm )

Here you have some reviews of it talking about the noise levels :
    1 from Hardocp ( in the end ) : http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/..._card_review/9
    and 1 from guru3d : http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-ge...-hawk-review/9

This is a nice video and he actually shows the card running while recording @ full load try to hear it :P in a case , you'll probably never hear it untill you go and cranck the fan to 70% and go " ohh there it is !! " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgcZ_yitcQ

found another video of him actually playing on his MSI 560 Ti ( the card is not inside a case so the noise is greater , even without it it's barely audible ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_br4MA6tc4Y&NR=1 and this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9uy...feature=relmfu ( this is actually better since he plays for a while )
    Last edited by mmocda69302ff9; 2011-10-24 at 09:47 AM.

I don't know how people survive with such agressive fan-curves. :|
    A TwinFrozr above 50% would be absolutely unbearable for me. Possibly before that.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I don't know how people survive with such agressive fan-curves. :|
    A TwinFrozr above 50% would be absolutely unbearable for me. Possibly before that.
    With a headset you can't even tell the difference
    In Furmark my TwinFrozr goes to something like 85°C at 85% speed I don't think it would be healthy for the card to use a much lower fan speed.

Deleted
    just did a quick 6m Furmark test , it reaches 65º - 66º after 3m and it doesn't pass that point. After reaching 65ºC my very agressive fan settings kick in and goes to 70% , still I can't hear it with headphones and have to go to the case and lean to actually hear it .

maybe i just got lucky , but from all the 560 Ti I'v seen the MSI Twinfrozn are the best , and I'v actually never seen one reach 70º with furmark .... or 60º in actual games.

Deleted
    The higher I ever seen was about 2 months ago ( fairly warmer ) in Witcher 2. It reached 57ºC ( the card is mildly oced 900 core from 820 nothing too shaby , I actually only noticed it now and I'm reverting it to factory default since I don't actually need more performance ) and that's in my msi afterburner fan control 60% ( 3300rpm , usually it won't be this agressive )

keep in mind I have made the fan to be more aggressive to earn some degrees , usually after some time in heavy games it could reach 60º during summer. BF3 reached 54-55º during beta
    remember that I have the 560 TI Twinfrozn and not the hawk version.

I have assembled a pc with a HAWK one and it's the same as this , yes it can reach insane speeds and noises , but it never does in normal usage.

now I'm watching after 2h of wow it's 42ºC the best it can do ( max fan rpm it reaches in my config was 2000rpm )

Here you have some reviews of it talking about the noise levels :
    1 from Hardocp ( in the end ) : http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/..._card_review/9
    and 1 from guru3d : http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-ge...-hawk-review/9

This is a nice video and he actually shows the card running while recording @ full load try to hear it :P in a case , you'll probably never hear it untill you go and cranck the fan to 70% and go " ohh there it is !! " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgcZ_yitcQ

found another video of him actually playing on his MSI 560 Ti ( the card is not inside a case so the noise is greater , even without it it's barely audible ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_br4MA6tc4Y&NR=1 and this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9uy...feature=relmfu ( this is actually better since he plays for a while )
    Thanks for sharing the information and those video links! Will watch those when I get home from work.

---------- Post added 2011-10-24 at 12:01 PM ----------

just did a quick 6m Furmark test , it reaches 65º - 66º after 3m and it doesn't pass that point. After reaching 65ºC my very agressive fan settings kick in and goes to 70% , still I can't hear it with headphones and have to go to the case and lean to actually hear it .

maybe i just got lucky , but from all the 560 Ti I'v seen the MSI Twinfrozn are the best , and I'v actually never seen one reach 70º with furmark .... or 60º in actual games.
    Thanks for testing that out!
    It's not about me hearing it by the way, I have a Club 3D 4890 which is pretty loud once it's spinning for a while.

I use headphones so it doesn't bother me that much, it's more about the people in the next room hearing it while they're trying to get some sleep.. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    With a headset you can't even tell the difference
    In Furmark my TwinFrozr goes to something like 85°C at 85% speed I don't think it would be healthy for the card to use a much lower fan speed.
    Then why would I want to have to wear a headset just because I'm gaming? I prefer running my Direct Cu II at 24% in games. And it's more silent than the TwinFrozr. But that's me.
    I haven't even used gamesounds in Wow f ex since 2005-2006. I prefer peace and quiet.
    And I kind of like the noise that my computer doesn't​ make.

Also, if it's a Fermi you have, they are built to withstand at least 105°C, so it wouldn't be an issue.

The Twin Frozr II and the Hawk only have like 1 DB difference..
    the huge noise you hear at the end of the video is 100% RPM set manually in MSI Afterburner. YOu will never get 100% in gaming unless you install a dedicated heater inside your case. My 560Ti Twin Frozr usually sits at 40% in idle (lowest possible setting?) and 50% at full load. 50% is not loud but you can clearly hear it (probably most loud component in my build)
    Last edited by anb; 2011-10-24 at 11:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I seem to be late to the party. Oh well.

I run a 560Ti Hawk in a Define R3 (Sound dampening case like Tetris has).

So far I've only had two things bring it above 50% fan speed - Metro 2033, and Folding@Home GPU client. Even then in the R3, the fans at 40-55% speed are more of a quaint whooshing sound than something along the lines of a Rolls Royce Trent 900 Turbofan in your computer.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I seem to be late to the party. Oh well.

I run a 560Ti Hawk in a Define R3 (Sound dampening case like Tetris has).

So far I've only had two things bring it above 50% fan speed - Metro 2033, and Folding@Home GPU client. Even then in the R3, the fans at 40-55% speed are more of a quaint whooshing sound than something along the lines of a Rolls Royce Trent 900 Turbofan in your computer.
    You're never too late to share experiences / give advice!
    So only one game so far eh? Have you played the BF3 alpha/beta?

I hear a lot less complaints about the Twin Frozr II than about the Hawk.
    Gotta make a choice soon, BF3 is coming out this week!

The local supplier has 3 more hawks in stock, so if I order it I'll get it the next day.
    Twin Frozr II has 3-5 workdays delivery time. Seems like it's more popular ;o

EDIT:
    I have a stock Antec 300, there's room for 2 120mm fans on the front. Should I worry about the airflow and get those 2 fans, or just leave it as it is now?
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2011-10-24 at 12:21 PM.