Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Archimonde's Vengance

Hey, I just wonder but do anyone got any idea if this will cap?
    Like, Bloodlord Mandokir uses his smash attack which deals 7millish damage, could I put this up on him, suicide and have dealt over 1 mill damage to him that easily?

I would assume it will have a cap, either that or bosses will be immune to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Cap then, cause bosses being immune would kill it for PvE.

If bosses were immune to it then this wouldnt even be remotely viable in PvE - which isnt how blizzard want it. They want to make the choice hard for you. Though adding a cap, like it wont use overkill damage would make sense.
    I guess we will see during the beta.

the cap will be 25% of your max health, because beyond that u will be ded
    just because u get hit for 11 mil doesnt mean that all that energy was absorbed, the wasted energy went into cracking the ground and spilling ur guts all over the place :P

my main question of it is....will absorption/amplification effects reduce/increase the damage it will deal
    Peace, the number 1 reason for War.
    Fight on my minions
    /petattack

Deleted
    exactly, will soul link reduce the dmg of this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Too early to tell, really untill we can test it in Beta/PTR/Live

Lots to do too, for theory crafters, whole new build up of 3 lock specs, gonna be fun for them I think. Me, I'm just psyched I'll probably get the annual pass and get guaranteed Beta and can test all the specs myself from a personal flavour point of view

It probably won't count overkill... it will prob be more of a stand in fire for 15 sec every minute sort of ability until GC decides he doesn't like that and takes it out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Subetei View Post
    It probably won't count overkill... it will prob be more of a stand in fire for 15 sec every minute sort of ability until GC decides he doesn't like that and takes it out.
    > Sounds like weirdly masochistic, fun and original ability! I hope it can work that way. Then again, I don't think the healers would let us >:P

Bosses will likely be immune to it, or at least it will exclude certain abilities.
    It won't be by any means useless in pve, just perhaps more useful on trash as opossed to boss fights.

take 7m damage, 6.8m overkill, do 50k damage to boss..

Questions? :P

Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    take 7m damage, 6.8m overkill, do 50k damage to boss..

Questions? :P
    qft, thats instantly how I assumed it would go

To be honest, I'm wondering if this may end up not being particulary useful. Since it's a damaging Curse it will replace your Bane of Doom or Agony, which you then have to recast after the 15 seconds are up.

The only real use for it would be in specific boss fights where you know you're about to take a shitload of damage and when you do use it you have to ask yourself the following:

"is it going to do more damage than 2 ticks of Doom?"
    "can I afford to wait until doom ticks next?"
    "is it worth replacing Agony, even if it's half way through it's duration?".

Due to the nature of Archimonde's Vengeance if you're going to use it you're going to have to interupt your Doom or Agony to get the best use out of it, but if you do that you may end up actualy loosing dps.

The only way to relieve this issue would be to have it not mutualy exclusive with either Banes or Curses, yet that may end up being too powerful....
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2011-10-24 at 02:43 AM.

To be honest, I'm wondering if this may end up not being particulary useful. Since it's a damaging Curse it will replace your Bane of Doom or Agony, which you then have to recast after the 15 seconds are up.

The only real use for it would be in specific boss fights where you know you're about to take a shitload of damage and when you do use it you have to ask yourself the following:

"is it going to do more damage than 2 ticks of Doom?"
    "can I afford to wait until doom ticks next?"
    "is it worth replacing Agony, even if it's half way through it's duration?".

Due to the nature of Archimonde's Vengeance if you're going to use it you're going to have to interupt your Doom or Agony to get the best use out of it, but if you do that you may end up actualy loosing dps.

The only way to relieve this issue would be to have it not mutualy exclusive with either Banes or Curses, yet that may end up being too powerful....
    If it's a Curse it won't over-write Banes -- only other Curses, like Elements.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

All damaging Curses are classed as Banes, normal Curses are all non-damaging debuffs.

If it were to replace anything it would logically be a Bane. Even if it replaces Elements though that would be even worse, -8% spell damage for your whole raid just so you can bump your own damage slightly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll definately be capped and almost certainly exclude certain, if not all boss abilities. Standing in fire for a DPS boost will definately be a no go. That's if the ability even makes it to Beta, let alone live.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    It'll definately be capped and almost certainly exclude certain, if not all boss abilities. Standing in fire for a DPS boost will definately be a no go. That's if the ability even makes it to Beta, let alone live.
    How would excluding boss abilities make sense. That would make it completely useless for pve and since they kept stating over and over that they want to make them as balanced as possible it has to be useful in pve.

And if this goes live standing in fire for increased dps is still a no-go, cause personal dps does not outweigh putting a strain on the healer. Cause it doesn't do anything to diminish the amount of dmg you take, so taking dmg to do more dps will just make you a fail raider.

In my opinion this is just the kind of thing you use right before a big unavoidable aoe period. Nef's crackle eg or chimaerons.. thingy. But you won't go stand in dreadflame to do a little bit more dps cause you'll still just die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excluding boss abilities made sense for Dark Simulacrum. Furthermore, a lot of boss encounters in the past have had persistent AoE effects, which would obviously make the class more desirable than others since this ability would effectively offer more 'free damage' against the boss and the ideal of 'bring the player not the class' is then effectively broken; bosses and abilities have been repeatedly hotfixed in the past to fix issues of such 'class stacking' because of this. It's therefore not without precedent.

As for it ending up with limited to no PvE use, I'll just point at our current Soul Shard system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Excluding boss abilities made sense for Dark Simulacrum. Furthermore, a lot of boss encounters in the past have had persistent AoE effects, which would obviously make the class more desirable than others since this ability would effectively offer more 'free damage' against the boss and the ideal of 'bring the player not the class' is then effectively broken; bosses and abilities have been repeatedly hotfixed in the past to fix issues of such 'class stacking' because of this. It's therefore not without precedent.

As for it ending up with limited to no PvE use, I'll just point at our current Soul Shard system.
    There is a difference between copying an entire spell and taking something that can do max 25% of your health in dmg every sec for only 15 sec.( possibly poorly worded) How is this different than BoH btw, that's just free damage too. Hell if anything this isn't free damage it will take some finesse to time it and to know how far you can take it. ( if you are actually going to be taking dmg just to increase dps) I'd say it sounds like something that might require some skill to do effectively, a good thing in my book.

Well soulshards, instant soulfires and pet recovery for destruction, the very necessary petswap for demonology and corruption a plenty for affliction. Not to dismiss fancy healthstone and speedy teleport. Sure it might not be all that spectacular, but I do use some of those things every raidnight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder If this works with lifetap =S most likely not though