10+ Year Old Account

Halloween isn't what it used to be.

so over the past 5 years ive noticed a decline in trick or treaters to the point where last year i had 1 person trick or treat. it saddens me that this has happened me and my friend used to enjoy giving people shit and scaring little kids but now no one can trust their neighbor enough to take some damn candy from them and now i hear all the kids to a church and do something called trunk or trick. so whats your opinion on this?

Dr.Pepper is made from fairy tears. Pokemon IGN: Josh FC: 0662-4407-8552

Neighborhoods change. Kids grow up, maybe there isn't a big group of younger kids to fill in the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilcheeks View Post
    Neighborhoods change. Kids grow up, maybe there isn't a big group of younger kids to fill in the spot.
    Pretty much this.

I'm going with my brother trick or treating this year, been going with him every year for the last 4 years and it just seems to be getting more and more active each year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally speaking it's because paranoid, over-protective parents have brainwashed their children into thinking that anyone who wants to give them candy is a creeper who wants to give them drugs or wants to rape them or is sticking razor-blades in the apples. To be fair, many children's costumes have also gotten pretty sexualized, at least for girls anyway.

I love to trick-or-treat, even though I'm 25. It's fun and it's better than getting smashed, wasted or high like everyone else my age is doing.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    To be fair, many children's costumes have also gotten pretty sexualized, at least for girls anyway.
    Not just girls. For guys its all about something long where your dick would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Generally speaking it's because paranoid, over-protective parents have brainwashed their children into thinking that anyone who wants to give them candy is a creeper who wants to give them drugs or wants to rape them or is sticking razor-blades in the apples. To be fair, many children's costumes have also gotten pretty sexualized, at least for girls anyway.

I love to trick-or-treat, even though I'm 25. It's fun and it's better than getting smashed, wasted or high like everyone else my age is doing.
    Honestly I couldn't agree more with all of the post in this thread so far. Mostly with the one I'm quoting.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It's a paedo's dream these days... Kids dressing as skimpy devils instead of 'scary' stuff. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by General Vezax View Post
    Not just girls. For guys its all about something long where your dick would be.
    At the very least while a lumberjack may be a phallic icon of masculinity, the costume isn't designed to attempt to get you to hang out your pre-pubescent T&A.

Honestly it's that whole contradictory culture of parents caring while expecting to be able to not care. Worried about your kids? Chaperone them while out. Go in a group with the kids friends and yours. But these parents don't want to be asked to DO anything, they want people to cater to THEM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

On my street I've only two trick or treeters in the last 10 years but I don't live in a hi-populated area. My co-workers who do live in the hi-populated areas say it changes on a yearly basis. One year they might get a 100 kids and the next 25. There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Maybe your neighborhood on average gives out low quantity or quality treats (compared to other nearby areas), causing people to simply bypass your block?

Also scaring kids and giving people "shit" may not be a good idea if you want them to come back >.<

Assuming you live in a relatively safe area and that there are plenty of young kids.
    Last edited by Purlina; 2011-10-24 at 06:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastblow View Post
    so over the past 5 years ive noticed a decline in trick or treaters to the point where last year i had 1 person trick or treat. it saddens me that this has happened me and my friend used to enjoy giving people shit and scaring little kids but now no one can trust their neighbor enough to take some damn candy from them and now i hear all the kids to a church and do something called trunk or trick. so whats your opinion on this?
    I've noticed the same thing. It's an older neighbourhood where I live now and not many kids show up. That and they usually go to the townhomes around my area. This year I'm not going to even bother. Last 2 times I bought candy I ended up with tonnes of it. Just gonna shut off the lights and watch some horror movies on TV

10+ Year Old Account
    I never really had many people come by being that I'm out in the boonies but on a good year we could expect 10 or so kids. Always made it kinda fun because my mom would buy one of those big bags of mixed candy so I wouldn't even have to go out to get a bunch. Haven't had one in 4 years.

Deleted
    I live in a small cul-de-sac where most of the families living are either elderly people or at the stage where all the kids (including me, 20) are past the age of trick or treating and no new young families have moved in. I also think its got the point where people dont keep a lot of sweets/small change about them now to give trick or treaters as its kind of died out ( at least where I live in the UK) so if some kid does go trick or treating he gets a crap all apart from a lot of confused people standing at their door saying "err....lemme see what I can find for you"

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing isn't what it used to be. Even the sun was shining better...
    Seriously, everything was best at some time. From then, it's only getting worse That happens with all things.
    Last edited by druidicitus; 2011-10-24 at 10:36 PM.
    English is not my mainspec!

10+ Year Old Account
    Has to do with the age of children in your neighborhood, as others have said. I remember a couple years back when there were very few kids that came at all. Last year, and since, Ive noticed quite a few more. (little bastards wake me up in the morning at the bus stop >: ( ).
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Might just depend on the weather, too. If it's 40 degrees F then people that are on the fence about going are less likely to go. Maybe your area has had a cold streak that past few autumns.

10+ Year Old Account
    its what ever IMO

more bought candy for me!