Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gold Inflation in MoP

Just curious what people think will happen with item costs. i beleive items cost went close to 100% with cata expac. Personally i feel gold has become less relevent over the expansions. Its only 5 levels how much will it effect the game? Even a casual player who utilzizes their professions can obtain gold very easliy especially this expansion and now that raids are easy enough for even casuals to raid, how relevent can it possibly be?

Deleted
    The amount of gold being created is getting ridiculous. Each guild challenge is 300 new gold in the system, each looted gold is another 10% to a guild bank that didn't exist before. There aren't many real gold sinks to get rid of it all. Guild repair perks mean you pay less to repair, and most of the raid's consumables are player-created.

Basically, unless MoP has some big money sinks to get money out of the economy, there will be a lot of people maxing their gold in the expansion. I can see people starting to use trade materials as currency similar to SoJs or PGems in diablo 2 soon.

Finally we are getting rich! Oh wait...

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just means level 10 Leather greens will go from 75g to 500g each.

Deleted
    I know plenty of broke people who are struggling to get to 5k and stay there.
    It's easier for people to amass gold because of frequent patch notes and them being informed. For the average player dailies are the main bread-winner.

If blizzard continues to screw our expectations (like Pyrite Ore) it won't be such a big problem. Sure, you'll get more gold. Then everything will be more expensive. The ratio will be pretty much the same. Having 1k and being poor is the same if you had 10k and were poor (if the economy would deem it so).

I have 10/11 professions maxed and I obviously have no problems getting a lot of gold when I want it. A friend of mine has 2 healer specs and herbalism + inscription. He literally can't even afford to level another profession to max.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    The amount of gold being created is getting ridiculous. Each guild challenge is 300 new gold in the system, each looted gold is another 10% to a guild bank that didn't exist before. There aren't many real gold sinks to get rid of it all. Guild repair perks mean you pay less to repair, and most of the raid's consumables are player-created.

Basically, unless MoP has some big money sinks to get money out of the economy, there will be a lot of people maxing their gold in the expansion. I can see people starting to use trade materials as currency similar to SoJs or PGems in diablo 2 soon.
    You'd think that, but iirc Blizzard recently stated that the amount of gold on players varied too widely to introduce a new gold sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post

The guild repair point is a bit silly since that money is still being spent, but it comes out of the guild challenge money and the 10% money (or whatever else is put in the guild). It's not just magically free repairs. But lack of money sinks is true. There are a LOT of boe epics you can buy (I think more than previously) at 85 to jumpstart your gear. Every class pretty much can get ring, trinket (darkmoon+other boe usually), chest, wrist, gloves (353 for some), belt, legs, boots, weapon. You can almost get a full epic set at 85 which can be a gold sink.

I totally agree, but un fortantly im one of these players who has a hell of a time making gold, my top was 40k and I went down to a few k after getting my sandstone drake, I pass 10k every so often but back down to 2 again now after splashing out on alts but oh well ill do what I done in wotlk and start saving a bit each week towards mop
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    He means the Guild Repair Perk that reduces repair costs - not having the guild pay for repairs,

Buying BoE's from other players isn't a gold sink - it just moves money around between players, a gold sink is where money leaves the game completely,

If 10k gold buys you X when before 1K gold bought it and you have 100k Gold instead of 10k Gold, nothing has really changed, but it still -feels- crazy. Even with just dailies as a source of gold, as I understand it that is 400 Gold a day...

Apart from more 'trickle' sinks like repairs and transmogrification, and one off gold-checks like unlocking transmogrification and Pandarian Flying License, there needs to be things to spend money on (that removes it from the game - not just transfers it to savvy players) that people don't -need- to progress or to enjoy the game so that the excess gold on people with a million gold can go somewhere, and those with only a little gold can just not buy the option extras.

I can't imagine wow without having endless of gold to whatever I want... (almost, I can't buy as many spectral tigers as I want, but atleast got one for my main!)

They released the info on Monk, I decided to start farming for my monks gear. 3 days later I've made and spent 7k on a personal guild, and made 25k ontop of that. I had no clue what I was doing and that was only over ~4-6 hours over 3 days. These weren't just 1-time things either, and a good 2k of that was from looting, and 1k from vendoring. Gold is WAY too easy to make. I now have 22k gold, A full set of 79 leather with ring ammy and a blue wep... It just feels funny. I thought this was going to take me 6 months, it took me 6 hours.

Gold's too easy, and there's nothign to spend it on.

Idd Yoshimiko. Even if you cant play the AH for some odd reason (Its not as hard as people think, trust me), you can get alot of gold in other ways. Solo raids, I can loot 5k a week nps, while you could also grind mats, trough alot slower than playing AH, also gives gold.

Its seems that the economy was most stable during Vanilla. That cant change the way things are now because they've already progressed the economy the way it is. They cant change things now.

I havent had any expierence with other MMOs but does this happen to the Economy with other MMO Xpacs?

Being exclusive to blizz games for most of gaming expierences, most of their (blizz) game economy has been really crappy, diablo 1 & 2 was horrible imo.

Deleted
    void storage isn't a gold sink to you?
    buying your guilds pets/mounts for k's of gold isn't a sink to you?

so how big does a gold sink have to be for you to count it as a sink?

nowadays it isn't a sink unless it's 50k+ viglante. sitting on 1.2mill atm myself, with nothing to really spend it on. no point buying gear for alts I never play, the last month I've spent 500k on TCG mounts for lack of other stuff to get for my main... I don't mind being filthy rich, but I'd like some fancy bling to show off for it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kassy View Post
    nowadays it isn't a sink unless it's 50k+ viglante. sitting on 1.2mill atm myself, with nothing to really spend it on. no point buying gear for alts I never play, the last month I've spent 500k on TCG mounts for lack of other stuff to get for my main... I don't mind being filthy rich, but I'd like some fancy bling to show off for it
    So why did you bother amassing all that gold?

I you REALLY don't have anything to do with it, go hand some out to other people.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

We need more luxury gold sinks like the mammoth repair mount, Dalaran rings, bigger vendor bags etcetera like we had in Wrath of the Lich King. Now we have the Vial of Sands I guess. It should still have some kind of use or players won't buy it.

<Victory Call> of Trollbane EU - 1/8H 25M

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    So why did you bother amassing all that gold?

I you REALLY don't have anything to do with it, go hand some out to other people.
    as I said I don't mind being filthy rich...

next expansion is quite a gold sink in itself with the achievement to raise ALL professions to max level across your account tho

What about the 30k gold sink that is the Vial of the Sands mount? While they are not abundant that is a pretty substantial gold sink! I think people are looking for a single large sink but there are many smaller sinks that no one thinks about that add up quite fast! Reforging, for example is one of them! I reforge my whole set after replacing 2-3 pieces to try to better achieve optimal results!
    While there are ways to make vast amounts of gold fairly quickly not as many players as you would think do these things because they play the game for fun!, remember FUN!, that thing you had when you were younger that you really enjoyed! Most people do not play to have a second job of farming gold so the idea that the economy is circling the drain is ridiculous IMO, but it is just that My Opinion!

Its not like vanilla anymore. This has everything to do with Blizzard making the game easier for casual players. I don't see making gold as a challenge since its way to easy and becoming more and more useless.