Thread: The UFC Thread

her last three fights have lasted 64 seconds combined

They just need to have a better supporting card. I about fell asleep during the TUF finale fights; they made the PPV go on for way longer than it needed to. Rhonda is awesome, but her fights alone aren't worth the $60.

Anyone watch WSOF 22 last night? Palhares is a dirty, dirty mofo. He needs to get banned. Not only did he hold onto a sub for too long, again, but he was also gouging Shield's eyes while Shields had the mount in round 2.

I have read a few opinions from I guess "anti-Rhonda" people who say she isn't really fighting in her weight class. Can someone explain what that means to someone who only has a passing interest in UFC from time to time?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    I have read a few opinions from I guess "anti-Rhonda" people who say she isn't really fighting in her weight class. Can someone explain what that means to someone who only has a passing interest in UFC from time to time?
    All fighters cut weight. Almost none of them walk around at the weight they fight at. If people are trying to use that as just one other BS reason she's winning, they don't know anything about fighting.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2015-08-03 at 12:58 PM.
    BAD WOLF

To add to what Kelimbror said, some people also point out that she used to compete in higher weight classes, and use that as support for their contention she is ducking a certain heavier fighter (Santos). However, she was quite chubby (for a pro fighter) at those weights, and fighting at 135 has definitely helped her be more quick and nimble.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaped View Post
    Another fight of hers that was so damn quick, they need to make her fight two or three times to make it interesting haha.
    It's not her fault Correia has a glass chin.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malmmoc View Post
    To add to what Kelimbror said, some people also point out that she used to compete in higher weight classes, and use that as support for their contention she is ducking a certain heavier fighter (Santos). However, she was quite chubby (for a pro fighter) at those weights, and fighting at 135 has definitely helped her be more quick and nimble.
    And if people have never seen the work she puts in to get to/stay at fighting condition, they shouldn't be talking. I have complete respect for someone that is able to be that dedicated and train that well. She wins b/c she puts the work in, not b/c she's Ronda Rousey.

The only thing I fear is there will never be anyone else good enough to keep her career going for long. Once you've proven all you can, there's no sense in doing any of that anymore. Especially with movie money rolling in.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    And if people have never seen the work she puts in to get to/stay at fighting condition, they shouldn't be talking. I have complete respect for someone that is able to be that dedicated and train that well. She wins b/c she puts the work in, not b/c she's Ronda Rousey.

The only thing I fear is there will never be anyone else good enough to keep her career going for long. Once you've proven all you can, there's no sense in doing any of that anymore. Especially with movie money rolling in.
    Other than her name I still don't understand the appeal in the movie shit. I've seen Expendables 3 and I've seen Fast 7...she sucked in both. She had like 1 line in F7 and it still came out horribly. That is a prime example of selling tickets based off her name but whatever. On another note I'm glad to see Correia got his so hard that she forgot all the shit she said as that is really the only explanation for her response in the post fight presser. She actually tried to come off as though that fight at ANY point in those 30 seconds was going in her favor.

Image if the Dec.5 card at Dallas has Rousey/Tate, McGregor/Aldo, and maybe something like Lawler/Hendricks 3. oh boy...

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    Image if the Dec.5 card at Dallas has Rousey/Tate, McGregor/Aldo, and maybe something like Lawler/Hendricks 3. oh boy...
    No way they'd put all of that on one card. No way they put two of those on the same card again (since the Lawler/MacDonald fight was the tits).

10+ Year Old Account
    Dana got asked the question if he would put Rousey and McGregor on the same card. You can tell by his face that he is 100% contemplating the money that would bring in. It would break all of their fight records ever.
    BAD WOLF

Rumor going around that the Dec. 5th Dallas card will have a Werdum/Cain rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    No way they'd put all of that on one card. No way they put two of those on the same card again (since the Lawler/MacDonald fight was the tits).
    For Dallas? Yes they would. That is a MASSIVE stadium.

For Dallas? Yes they would. That is a MASSIVE stadium.
    I dunno, seems like a stretch putting so much into one event, when they'd sell out stadium anyways, and how many MORE PPV sales would it generate? I wouldn't buy it, but I'd hit up Hooters that would already be showing it.

It seems like they are going to book Cowboy stadium. They will have to put 2 big title fights on the same card for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never really got in to UFC until Rousey, first time I paid for a PPV, kinda feel like I should just save my money and watch the 'highlights' :P. Wish I had more time to watch more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Never really got in to UFC until Rousey, first time I paid for a PPV, kinda feel like I should just save my money and watch the 'highlights' :P. Wish I had more time to watch more.
    If you are just getting into UFC, it's probably worth checking out the fight pass/watching old matches and if you are going to spend money on PPVs, making sure to catch all the prelim matches on other channels.

I don't really like that they break up the card on to 3 different channels, but it's worth getting your entire money's worth by watching everything a PPV has to offer even if it's technically not a part of what you paid for. I usually don't recommend 'bad' sources, but there are several trustworthy places that stream the fights (including prelims) for free.

I've purchased several PPV and will continue to do so, so I don't feel bad watching prelims or the odd fight I didn't buy on a stream. Just food for thought if you want to continue getting into it. I feel like they don't have a really good way to get people 'sold' on their brand since you can't watch any current fights to get involved with fighters for free. They make enough money to not care too much about the closed loop of fans, especially since a lot of fighters and other sports news places do publicity for them for free basically.

Edit: I mean technically that's why they break up the card, but it's usually unknown fighters so you can't really find someone to get hooked on. They need better ways of getting popular fights distributed when they are relevant. Like maybe show a collection of fights of someone prior to a PPV on a channel or the website for free or something, idk.
    BAD WOLF

Getting into the UFC because of Ronda is meh. She's the biggest can crusher in the history of combat sports.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Getting into the UFC because of Ronda is meh. She's the biggest can crusher in the history of combat sports.
    I do apologise, I will try harder to accommodate your preferences next time.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I do apologise, I will try harder to accommodate your preferences next time.
    What? You aren't going to see many fights like Ronda's. Its a known fact the skill level of women's MMA isn't that high. Especially the women's bantamweight division.