Thread: The UFC Thread

Deleted
    Went for a high kick, was blocked, and broke his foot/ankle/leg. No idea why Suckatooth decided to takr him to the ground - should have stayed standing and looked to finish him. Not the most sporting thing to do, but a win is a win.

Oh.

Omg Ortega won. It was entertaining. The fighting style was fun to watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey wait isn't your avatar of that guy who got abused by his girlfriend and the talk show host was shaming the audience?

- - - Updated - - -

"First and foremost I wanna thank God because without god I'm nothing."

I kinda don't like him now...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ortega didnt just win, he merked edgar.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    that was incredible, holloway ortega is THE fight holy smokes

The Russian chick looked impressive but...

I actually thought the ref stopped it too early.

Thank god we got two round one wins. I'm tired...

cyborg won?

i figured ortega would win, the guy's good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha! ...and people believed Frankie would murk Conor any day be it standing or on the ground.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    People believed mcgregor was gonna knock floyd out too. Yet, he managed to get tko'ed by a 50 year old mayweather, that was way past his prime and couldn't even make make 150.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Livevil View Post
    People believed mcgregor was gonna knock floyd out too. Yet, he managed to get tko'ed by a 50 year old mayweather, that was way past his prime and couldn't even make make 150.
    People who believed that were actually delusional to think that. A 50 year old boxer in prime or not, Mayweather is still the greatest of all time in his sport.

McGregor is not exactly a one punch knockout artist, the last guy he slept with a single strike was Aldo who rushed into trap. Most of his finishes come from hurting a guy and then pouncing on him to accumulate more precision strikes to finish them and you can't do that in boxing.

I am just slightly annoyed how so many so called experts can't clearly see the skills McGregor possess. Frankie was supposed to be his nightmare matchup and yet, Frankie got lifted by uppercut from a Jiu-Jitsu expert.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every wrestling based fighter that can take a punch is usually called mcgregor's nightmare matchup, and that's mostly because of his dogshit conditioning and garbage ground game. Hence, Edgar's name kept popping up, it's just that he isn't the same fighter that he was 7 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, I don't think wrestlers give Conor that much trouble as they don't focus on submissions. Sure they might take him down, but he can do more damage standing anyway. Actually I always thought Nate was his worst matchup. I mean, the dude has great boxing, fantastic cardio, granite chin and nasty submissions. For example I also think Tony is more dangerous than Khabib.

More importantly though, Conor is weird. As seen in fight with Chad, he doesn't seem that uncomfortable being held down. However when he is getting pressured hard standing, he starts to panic a bit. Both Nate and Floyd had success with this strategy against him, he certainly doesn't like his own medicine.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    You dont think wrestlers give him that much trouble but mendes was ragdolling mcgregor around and beating the shit out of him before he gassed, which is a meme itself(When you gas faster than mcgregor..). In general, wrestlers pretty much nullify the only skill of mcgregor has, which is his boxing. One of the reasons he gets a lot of doubters is that he remains largely untested versus 75% of the lw division.

Also, fights like the Diaz one were supposed to be more or less guaranteed wins. Diaz was brought to generate hype from all the trash talk and then get beat up, like he was previously by dos anjos, thompson, henderson. I mean the guy was literally a walking punching bag. All mcgregor had to do was box him like usual for 5 rounds for an easy UD and not gas like some Z league amateur bum, which was exactly what he did.

Nate went from zero to hero because of mcgregor's incompetence and not because of his skill.
    Last edited by Livevil; 2018-03-04 at 05:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, the assumption Conor won mainly because Chad gassed is incredibly stupid argument. They are professional athletes and they should simply stay ready and if you are not confident in your preparation, just don't take the fight. It is just a lame excuse of a sore loser.

In the actual fight Conor outboxed him and destroyed his body with kicks. Sure Chad ragdolled him, but it felt like Conor didn't really care as the elbows to the head from bottom were nasty. This is the point I am trying to get across, he doesn't care that much being taken down by wrestlers without really good submission skills. I mean, Alvarez tried some sneaky level changes and Conor did not took the bait and just kept marching on him.

Again, people who thought Nate is going to be an easy fight were people who do not really pay attention to anything but record. He has the perfect style to fight Conor as he can keep up with him standing up, while taking away Conor's biggest strength by having that granite chin and nasty submission game to punish his biggest weakness in weak defensive Jiu-Jitsu (His offense is decent actually).

Like him or not, Conor is not just a good Boxer with slightly overrated power.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post
    To be honest, the assumption Conor won mainly because Chad gassed is incredibly stupid argument. They are professional athletes and they should simply stay ready and if you are not confident in your preparation, just don't take the fight. It is just a lame excuse of a sore loser.

In the actual fight Conor outboxed him and destroyed his body with kicks. Sure Chad ragdolled him, but it felt like Conor didn't really care as the elbows to the head from bottom were nasty. This is the point I am trying to get across, he doesn't care that much being taken down by wrestlers without really good submission skills. I mean, Alvarez tried some sneaky level changes and Conor did not took the bait and just kept marching on him.

Again, people who thought Nate is going to be an easy fight were people who do not really pay attention to anything but record. He has the perfect style to fight Conor as he can keep up with him standing up, while taking away Conor's biggest strength by having that granite chin and nasty submission game to punish his biggest weakness in weak defensive Jiu-Jitsu (His offense is decent actually).

How do you see a fight with Khabib playing out? Because that guy is another level of bad matchup

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    How do you see a fight with Khabib playing out? Because that guy is another level of bad matchup
    It is interesting, the fight is a complete shutout in one way or another.

Conor has no chance to win the fight unless he catches Khabib with a good shot. The thing is, Khabib has pretty weak striking game and get's hit easily. It is just his ground game is so high level he doesn't care about takedown defense and can just march forward throwing wild strikes. The match is more about Conor trying to exploit the limited time on the feet to knock Khabib out before it goes to the ground. Problem is Khabib still needs to get close to get a grab of him and Conor is really good at luring people into traps and intercepting their initiation.

That's why I think Tony is more dangerous because he just doesn't care and is very creative to get out of any situation and maybe sneak a submission in. On the other hand Khabib seems to go into a panic mode and scrambles really hard to get the fight into area where he can dominate again. I mean, you saw it in the fight with Michael Johnson, he tried to be cheeky and play the striking game until he got tagged and then immediately went for a takedown. However I felt that Johnson was rushing way too much and more precise and calculated strikes could get the job done.

It is a interesting fight as Khabib's opponents are always scarred of going to the ground that they rush everything on the feet, making mistakes. It is hard to say if Conor will be affected by this and he too has a weird power to make opponent play into his own strengths. Do you remember how Alvarez had no idea why was he boxing so much when the plan was different?

It is like the GSP trainer said, to be the best fighter you got to control 3 areas: set up, direction and pace. Conor is master at controlling set ups while Khabib is great at controlling direction and pace.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I think it's one of the most intriguing matchups but I think it goes south in a hurry if Conor ends up on his back early. I don't think he has the gas tank to deal with that chain wrestling shit for more than a round lol

Conor Mcgregor doesnt even have a fight lined up. Hes retired.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    Conor Mcgregor doesnt even have a fight lined up. Hes retired.
    Idk if you were joking, but Dana said that McGregor was idling and was thinking of coming back for a September-ish fight. But Dana was like "nah mofo I got a business to run and people who are in the division waiting for their chance. I'll let some people fight for your vacant belt, and you can have first crack at it when you come back."

I hope there is a fight for the vacant belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Idk if you were joking, but Dana said that McGregor was idling and was thinking of coming back for a September-ish fight. But Dana was like "nah mofo I got a business to run and people who are in the division waiting for their chance. I'll let some people fight for your vacant belt, and you can have first crack at it when you come back."

I hope there is a fight for the vacant belt.
    The 100mill cheque went to his head. The guy came from nothing and now he has it all. He was never that rock solid in the ring either he just had the best hype game in the business and had some technique to back it up and how long do UFC champions last anyway? Not many can defend the belts and he hasnt even done it once.

Hes also helped turn the UFC into a circus with hype/PPV > trumping everything by a mile

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RH92 View Post

No, it's simple facts. You cannot expect someone to perform at 100% at a world championship level, in 2 weeks notice. The fight was chad's to lose like the diaz fight was mcgregor's to lose. Also, the argument "do not take the fight" is even more dumb, when you consider it's half a million dollars on the line.

Diaz , was, is and will be the easiest fight mcgregor can take. Low fight iq, game plan revolving around charging in head first to mcgregors fists, no desire to utilize takedowns which is mcgregor's weak point etc etc. Their proposed third fight will play out exactly like the other 2 did, and the outcome will be dependent entirely on how trash mcgregors conditioning is.
    Last edited by Livevil; 2018-03-05 at 07:44 AM.