Double dipping internet

Pretty straightforward question - the basic idea of a shared wireless is that most of the "speed" goes where it's needed. so for example if im playing wow and someone is downloading, the downloader gets prio, and if im playing wow and someone is watching utube, I get prio.

However, I am wondering what will happen if I plug my ethernet cable in the router AND establish a wireless connection. I just found out by accident that I can keep both up at the same time. Does that mean that I will get "double" the speed or will one of them just overwrite the other?

tnx in advance lovely mmochump forum!

Deleted
    One of them will be prioritized.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its always the wired that will get the priority by default because the connection is better, stable and, faster, over the wireless connection

Wired will take priority, and you will get better latency and speed because there won't be any wireless shit lowering your connection quality.

By default all traffic gets same priority in speed (but not latency), so if 2 people connect wireless and 2 wired into same router the maximum speed should be divided to four exactly if all four are downloading gigabyte of wow patch at the same time for example.

If you want to change who or what gets prioritized or downgraded in connection speed (for example playing wow gets priority over downloading wow patch to reduce lag), you need to poke the QoS (quality of service) settings in your router. If there is no QoS section in router setup, it means you can't change it from "even share".
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Electroso View Post
    Its always the wired that will get the priority by default because the connection is better, stable and, faster, over the wireless connection
    this is exactly the answer

your wired connection will always be faster so will always be prioritised over your wireless connection
    <insert witty signature here>

If you want to prioritize WoW over all other connections, then log into your wifi's bios and you can set it to always prioritize WoW with the highest bandwidth.

Deleted
    My first question is simple. Who is paying for the internet?

Deleted
    I highly doubt your internet connection is faster than your wired LAN (probably ~100/1000 mbps) connection anyway.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, I have to respond to the errors in this thread. In Windows, usually the default is the Local Area Connection. It can be changed in Network Settings, Advanced Adapter Settings, Alt for advanced menu, Advanced, Bindings. Google it to find out exactly. Some VPN services automatically set themselves to default when you install them so that changes everything. And you don't want to go into the BIOS of your router to prioritize a program. The BIOS activates and identifies the hardware on your router, it has nothing to do with operating settings. That would be the operating system of the router. Sorry if I seem like a jerk, but these answers are incorrect.