Thread: Audio opinions.

10+ Year Old Account

Audio opinions.

Hey guys, recently just purchased a desktop to game on after playing on laptops for years. Typically, I'll just throw some headphones in and go, but i'd like to go for a few things that are somewhat nicer and not as tacky. I would love to get some sort of stereo system that can fit on the desk for me to plug in, and also a headset with a mic, preferably with bass. Are there any brands out there for either of those that you recommend that arent stupidly high in price? Any feedback would be awesome. Thanks a bunch.
    Await

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Turtle Beach www.turtlebeach.com
    Steelseries www.steelseries.com
    Sound Blaster www.soundblaster.com
    Astro Gaming www.astrogaming.com

All feature premium headset choices that shouldn't break the bank if you are looking for a decent quality headset w/mic.
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

For a stereo system i recommend Edifier R1600T+
    Should cost around 50$. They are small enough to fit on the desk, yet provide really nice sound, for a 50 bucks there is not much competition out there. Ofc if you are willing to spend more on speakers, there are other choices.

As for headset, look at the wearing comfort first, but sound quality second.
    As example - i have 2 pairs of headphones
    1. cheap-ass Koss UR-20
    2. 5 times more expensive Plantronics 955
    While plantronics are wirelesss and clearly sound better than ur-20, i rarely use them for other than raids, simply because my ears start hurting after 1 hour of usage. On the opposite, i can wear Ur-20 ALL DAY and i don't even notice them, they are just so awesomely comfortable. Unfortunately, comfort is a common issue even for expensive headphones, so watch out, because when your ears hurting, you really don't care how awesome the sound is.
    Last edited by anb; 2011-11-01 at 12:10 PM.

Try the Genelec monitors. They produce a very clear sound. A set of these can be expensive but well worth it though.

The Yamaha HS Series is also well worth the investment. Fairly cheap for professional monitors (€150-200 per monitor).
    Last edited by Rampant Rabbit; 2011-11-01 at 11:59 AM.