Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Random rep loss with "Stood in the fire"

Last night/ this morning in Eastern Plague Lands, I got the "Stood in the fire" achievement but something very odd happened. I stared losing a lot of rep with the Argent Dawn for no reason. I made a ticket and this is the current situation.

"Hi there, I've just recieved the "Stood in the fire" achievement at Crown Guard Tower in Eastern Plaguelands, but in doing so lost close on 1000 rep with the Argent Dawn.

I'm confused?
    14 hours ago
    Customer Service Representative
    Greetings Manicwrath,

You are receiving this message in response to the help petition which you submitted regarding Argent Dawn Rep.

Shortly after getting the 'Stood in Fire' achievement, you seem to have gone on a, Argent Sentry Killing spree.
    Each Argent Sentry you killed resulted in a decrease of 125 rep with the Argent Dawn.
    This is not in any way connected to the achievement and is working as intended.

If you need further assistance, please press the button “Need More Help below. If your petition is resolved, you can close this ticket by pressing “Message Read.

Regards,

English Game Master Team
    Blizzard Europe"

This is very odd indeed as I play a human warrior who is currently revered with the Argent Dawn, not at war and neither hostile. When I was killed the rep loss started right away. Anyone with any ideas or had something similar happen?

I'm just jealous you got the achievement.

10+ Year Old Account
    working as intended

There may have been some bug to where when you were killed, Deathwing also killed Argent Sentries and it was somehow attributed to you (not sure how feasible this is, but who knows). I'd probably put in another ticket and have them look at the time of death of those sentries as well and any combat logs for that time period
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure but if you were in combat near the guards, that could be it, as everything dies/despawns when he flies through. Which is quite entertaining to watch.

15+ Year Old Account
    I noticed Rep changes when my rogue got his achievment in Burning Steps. Appearantly, mobs that die in DWs fire count as "killed" by players in the zone. Probably because players cause Death Wing to spawn there in the first place.

I've had this happen to me when killed (by Deathwing's fire) in Gadgetzan in the midst of friendly Steamwheedle Cartel NPCs. Talked to a GM about it and they said it was a known bug, but there was no way they could replace the rep I lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope wasn't in combat either. I was doing the caravan quest line and handing in some quests, then the sky went red, boom. Then rep loss lol. Waiting for a reply on the second ticket.

my guess:
    the fire deathwing makes all around the area kills every mob, npc, and player within seconds.
    by some strange bug, you were tagged for those kills, maybe because you were the only one there (which is more confusing, as i'm assuming you were dead in the meanwhile).
    the fire persists for a few minutes and keep killing spawned npc, therefore the GM was confused with it and assumed it was just you "on a killing spree".
    don't know if there is a way for a GM to realy tell what happened, so i'd suggest forgetting about it and grind that rep again.
    it's an interesting issue anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by manicwrath View Post

This is very odd indeed as I play a human warrior who is currently revered with the Argent Dawn, not at war and neither hostile. When I was killed the rep loss started right away. Anyone with any ideas or had something similar happen?
    Did you not read the ticket blizzard wrote? You were killing mobs that are friendly to the Argent Dawn. It has nothing to do with the achievement you got.

Happened to me as well but didn't think much of it... I got the Achievement and somehow saw "Killing Blow! <Random NPC>" pop on my screen... Strange.

Probably a bug where it counts as you killing them because you also died in it.

Deleted
    actually I ntoiced this the other day while questing on my priest
    except I was in hillsbrad and gaining rep. death wing was killin shit around me while I was dead and I was getting rep for it

Quote Originally Posted by Geradin View Post
    my guess:
    the fire deathwing makes all around the area kills every mob, npc, and player within seconds.
    by some strange bug, you were tagged for those kills, maybe because you were the only one there (which is more confusing, as i'm assuming you were dead in the meanwhile).
    the fire persists for a few minutes and keep killing spawned npc, therefore the GM was confused with it and assumed it was just you "on a killing spree".
    don't know if there is a way for a GM to realy tell what happened, so i'd suggest forgetting about it and grind that rep again.
    it's an interesting issue anyway.
    can you even still get argent dawn rep?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arden714 View Post
    Did you not read the ticket blizzard wrote? You were killing mobs that are friendly to the Argent Dawn. It has nothing to do with the achievement you got.
    Yes I read the ticket. Did you fully read my entire post?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kragragh View Post
    yep! turn ins at the bulwark and lights hope chapel should still be working. haven't been into strat or scholo since they rolled them back to low levels, but trash/bosses in there likely still award rep. you can still get argent insignia trinket or w/e that allows gathering of scourgestones. i still have mine /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Kragragh View Post
    You can, it's actually very easy. Doing some initial quests in EPL on the way to Light's Hope gets you all the way to honored or revered (the "Fiona's Caravan" stuff). There's one Argent Dawn NPC at Light's Hope that gives quests to go into Scholomance and Stratholme and retrieve items. Repeatable as many times as you want, and I think they give something like 2000 rep per turn in.

While unrelated, Deathwing killed me with fire in Twilight Highlands the exact moment I used Shadow Word: Death on a mob and after I respawned, I got kill experience for each time that mob respawned and subsequently died in fire. Deathwing gave me close to 180k experience, which is a lot more fortunate than your case where you lost rep over and over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by quietstrm07 View Post
    There may have been some bug to where when you were killed, Deathwing also killed Argent Sentries and it was somehow attributed to you (not sure how feasible this is, but who knows). I'd probably put in another ticket and have them look at the time of death of those sentries as well and any combat logs for that time period
    Its something along the lines of this. I noticed something similar a week or two ago while leveling my priest. I was in an area with hostile npcs when i was killed by deathwing. While i was waiting for the fire to disipate i was receiving a BUNCH of xp from all the respawns that died in the same fire I did. I assume the fire that kills you is for some reason marked as an attack of yours. While yours lost you rep due to it killing friendly npcs my fire gave me all the xp and loot from killing mobs I personally didn't hit with a cast spell.

There's a known issue with Deathwing and neutral Goblins in the 4.2.2 Known Issues sticky on the official forums. You're likely experiencing the same bug with Argent Dawn NPCs.

So the GM who answered your petition just wanted the ticket closed and didn't investigate very thoroughly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arden714 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you didn't read the OP. The GM responded that he went on an "Argent Dawn Sentry" killing spree. Since he wasn't marked at war and was well above friendly, the only thing that could attribute this to him was the fire.

OP: The fire from Deathwing is attributed to players. You can lose rep and it is a known bug.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3082032335

Though it mentions goblins in particular, there is no reason that it could not affect other NPC's in the game if the right circumstances come along: essentially you need to be next to NPC's that you CAN kill if you wished to while being killed by his fire.