10+ Year Old Account
    Oh hey the new Lodestone is up and looks nice.

http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/l...acter/2130190/
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Oh hey the new Lodestone is up and looks nice.

http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/l...acter/2130190/
    thats a bad ass looking lalafel lol

also, here is me http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/l...acter/2278189/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    thats a bad ass looking lalafel lol

also, here is me http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/l...acter/2278189/
    He's not always so bad

Anyways how are you liking Pugilist? Its the one thing I didn't get a chance to mess with. I heard the new "Stance" system is fun as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's not always so bad

Anyways how are you liking Pugilist? Its the one thing I didn't get a chance to mess with. I heard the new "Stance" system is fun as hell.
    I am enjoying it, I played a monk in XI and later a thief but as XIV does not have a thief I defaulted back to pugilist/monk and honestly I find the new stance system to be really fun. The class felt meh in 1.0 but after getting my first three hitting abilities I find it to be a very fun class and if you time it right and move as needed around a mob when it does a cast attack you can deliver some hard hitting blows.

Guess you'll just have to join my server next time.
    i think that was probably it. What server are you on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
    i think that was probably it. What server are you on?
    I'll be on Gilgamesh for this beta phase. Character names listed on the previous page.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thinking my character will be named Bal'Iris Aurum, and since everyone else is jumping on Gilgamesh...(see you there)!

So here's a question. Do you think it would be unwise to have one character with 3 or 4 jobs, and then another character with the other 3-4 jobs? Would that be detrimental/ inefficient, or just about as fast as getting one character with all jobs? Will the meta-game shun me?

10+ Year Old Account
    I played on Gilgamesh. Probably going to start over and try either a GLD or PUG this weekend. Not sure yet. I'm burned out on Girdania right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sil-Iris View Post
    Thinking my character will be named Bal'Iris Aurum, and since everyone else is jumping on Gilgamesh...(see you there)!

So here's a question. Do you think it would be unwise to have one character with 3 or 4 jobs, and then another character with the other 3-4 jobs? Would that be detrimental/ inefficient, or just about as fast as getting one character with all jobs? Will the meta-game shun me?
    I know plenty of people who had different characters for different reasons, but all in all you have the availability to get all of the jobs/classes leveled on one guy and in most cases, use the abilities from several of them to make your main class more powerful. In the end its up to you, really. Less efficient? Sure, but if you're mostly going to be solo, it doesn't matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah. I'm the kind of player who both 1) Enjoys a small amount of solo role-playing (giving my characters relevant back stories an such) and so I enjoy having multiple characters, but also 2) enjoys having a character with the most ideal stats and abilities. 3) I can only put in so much time into a game before I feel like I'm wasting my life.

In reality I'm guessing I can only pick 2 in order to be competitive in the meta-game...decisions decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    The part he means is most likely the part where you have to hit the 4 torches and get through the door. Without speed buffs it was near impossible, and there were very tough/incredibly tough monsters around each one.
    Err, you only need to hit one of the torches to open the door. The ones on the same side of the building of the door were easiest and so people went to those.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmalya View Post
    Ya...its like saying "Hey <ou can't solo stuff that needs absolute precise execution? Well baddy get out of my game!". Thats what I meant earlier too. If enough people actually take that advice then have fun playing another game because your current one wont be online for long.
    Can you be any more melodramatic and wrong?

You use an item or cast a spell (or simply use an ability that Dancer or Dancer subjob has) that makes you go invisible and monsters in the castle couldn't detect you. You then wait until they stop moving (their patrol paths are so that they stand still for 20-30 seconds), click on a torch to open the door, and use the same item/spell to go invisible again and walk into the door. It takes all of FIVE SECONDS.

So please, tell me how expecting someone to actually be able to pay attention and use an item is being elistist?

Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    I am enjoying it, I played a monk in XI and later a thief but as XIV does not have a thief I defaulted back to pugilist/monk and honestly I find the new stance system to be really fun. The class felt meh in 1.0 but after getting my first three hitting abilities I find it to be a very fun class and if you time it right and move as needed around a mob when it does a cast attack you can deliver some hard hitting blows.
    Yeah, Thief's problem was always it was limited in damage due to damage rating on daggers and the cooldowns on Trick and Sneak Attack. It only got worse the past few years when they changed the treasure hunting system so that a Thief can actually try to force higher tiers on a monster and the job swiftly got shunted into doing only that because droprates were horrendous. It didn't help that they're so evasive at the time (Abyssea) and that the threat system was flawed to hell that they got shunted into a "Hold the NM's attention and get us some sweet TH procs!" Sure, they were "wanted" but got forced to be even more of a one-trick-pony than Red Mage ever was.

Pugilist (because of the stance system) and Thaumaturge (because of the Fire/Blizzard buff system) are the two really popular ones right now. Haven't tried Pugilist (plan on going Paladin anyway), but I know the bit I did try of THM was really, really fun. It was like playing an Arcane Mage but instead of using Evocation (and stopping all damage) you switch "stances" and try to time your next burn phase right as a tick of mana restores you to full.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    "Which door? Either the password or the lever doors were both away from all aggro possibilities. If it's opening the password door (so you can fall below) all you had to do was simply wait for the monster (or two) to stop moving, touch the torch, re-invis, and run out. They doubled the length of time the door was open specifically because they wanted people to be able to solo all but the last limit break (and even if you get enough rarab tails it's soloable).
    "
    It was the timed one near the end. Way back in the beginning when I did it (early 2004), the time was much shorter. Even as a THF when you could flee (w/ AF feet) w/o invis and Hide to drop aggro, there wasnt enough time to click to lever and make it through the door. Luckly there were always people there either camping coffers for Astral Rings (Fairy's Puggo lol) or camping the NMs/High Priests for drops that, if you asked them between pops, would usually help you.
    Extending the time came years later and did make it a bit easier to solo content which were getting harder and harder to find people to go with.

---------- Post added 2013-06-19 at 04:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    Yeah, Thief's problem was always it was limited in damage due to damage rating on daggers and the cooldowns on Trick and Sneak Attack. It only got worse the past few years when they changed the treasure hunting system so that a Thief can actually try to force higher tiers on a monster and the job swiftly got shunted into doing only that because droprates were horrendous. It didn't help that they're so evasive at the time (Abyssea) and that the threat system was flawed to hell that they got shunted into a "Hold the NM's attention and get us some sweet TH procs!" Sure, they were "wanted" but got forced to be even more of a one-trick-pony than Red Mage ever was.
    Thieves were not the only class limited into what they could do in FFXI. In the first few years, almost all DD classes were pigeonholed in endgame into a very limited role. The only two DD classes that pretty much had free range were BLMs and RNGs and the some extent, SMN). In HNM fights, Linkshells didn't use THFs, and for that matter, other melee DD classes not because of damage they could do. In fact, THF was about middle ground in sustained DPS with MNKs and SAMs leading the pack. It was because melee DD fed TP to the bosses which often caused extra unwanted damage to the group. So THFs sit out of the fight up until the last 5-10% when they were invite in to just hit the boss at least once to get TH on, MNKs were only allowed to use a boosted up Chi Blast (1 attack every 3 minutes), and SAMs were made to meditate for Skill chaining to Magic burst for BLMs. WAR, BST, DRK, and DRG were asked to come as a "useful" class or sat on the side and watched.
    So I can't really see how the changes to treasure hunter made being a THF worse. It was a blessing to most THFs. The same goes for the changes that occurred to the other DD classes that made them more viable in the game over time.
    Last edited by Navine; 2013-06-19 at 10:48 PM.

I was on Behemoth. Most people didn't talk, and when they did it felt like barrens chat, or the usual obnoxious comments. This game is rebuilt in beta and people were already being called noob/other slander. I hope i just drew the short straw and got the anti social degrading server but i will def be checking others out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaisu View Post
    I was on Behemoth. Most people didn't talk, and when they did it felt like barrens chat, or the usual obnoxious comments. This game is rebuilt in beta and people were already being called noob/other slander. I hope i just drew the short straw and got the anti social degrading server but i will def be checking others out.
    I tried out a couple, Leviathan/Gilgamesh/Behemoth. Noticed that Behemoth was a bit toxic in chat (and I think I remember some of them getting pissed off at me for tagging a mob they were going after... but I think the rewards are shared like it is in GW2), gilgamesh was nice and I definitely remember getting some random heals (honestly thought it was part of solo gameplay until I read the post earlier, didn't expect people to be friendly enough to do such a thing in this day and age). Didn't really get into Leviathan more than the early bit, but they weren't too terrible. Going to have to test the waters for when it goes live, perhaps I'll stick with Gilgamesh if it continues to be a decent community.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    I tried out a couple, Leviathan/Gilgamesh/Behemoth. Noticed that Behemoth was a bit toxic in chat (and I think I remember some of them getting pissed off at me for tagging a mob they were going after... but I think the rewards are shared like it is in GW2), gilgamesh was nice and I definitely remember getting some random heals (honestly thought it was part of solo gameplay until I read the post earlier, didn't expect people to be friendly enough to do such a thing in this day and age). Didn't really get into Leviathan more than the early bit, but they weren't too terrible. Going to have to test the waters for when it goes live, perhaps I'll stick with Gilgamesh if it continues to be a decent community.
    I keep Hearing about Gilgamesh. Just hope the Toxicity doesn't follow suit if the rest of us deside to make it home.

I know plenty of people who had different characters for different reasons, but all in all you have the availability to get all of the jobs/classes leveled on one guy and in most cases, use the abilities from several of them to make your main class more powerful. In the end its up to you, really. Less efficient? Sure, but if you're mostly going to be solo, it doesn't matter.
    I actually never really liked that feature.

I personally enjoy specializing and it sounds to me like you need to at least level a couple of other classes to maximize your potential. It's a bit gimmicky seeming like Guild Wars's lack of a trinity.

To be honest I am getting more and more disappointed as I continue to read further about this game. I was hoping that feature was done away with or mitigated enough to where it was no longer a necessity in maximizing your success as a player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitterfly View Post

I personally enjoy specializing and it sounds to me like you need to at least level a couple of other classes to maximize your potential. It's a bit gimmicky seeming like Guild Wars's lack of a trinity.

To be honest I am getting more and more disappointed as I continue to read further about this game. I was hoping that feature was done away with or mitigated enough to where it was no longer a necessity in maximizing your success as a player.
    Nope, it's just not that kind of game. There's plenty of MMOs out there that lock your class to your character, this one's a bit different. Not going to be for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitterfly View Post

Basically, you level your chosen class and gain it's job. The class can use a range of abilities across the board (mainly for solo, doesn't seem like it would be mandatory), but the job uses abilities from only two other classes. Jobs being the go to for group content means that you can utilize the couple of other classes abilities to enhance the main one. So really, you don't have to level all the classes to be successful on the one, but it is beneficial to have the options if you ever want to spice things up.

I honestly like the system, because it is classic to the series.

10+ Year Old Account
    So to be clear, you can only level up one job? Or you can be any job you want, but the job only pulls abilities from two classes?

As long as the meta-game doesn't force you to have every class/job leveled, I think this system has room for a lot of individuality. Say I want a warrior with some pugilist and marauder abilities, while another warrior has some gladiators and thaurmataugetuasduhaisd abilities. Thats pretty cool!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sil-Iris View Post
    So to be clear, you can only level up one job? Or you can be any job you want, but the job only pulls abilities from two classes?

As long as the meta-game doesn't force you to have every class/job leveled, I think this system has room for a lot of individuality. Say I want a warrior with some pugilist and marauder abilities, while another warrior has some gladiators and thaurmataugetuasduhaisd abilities. Thats pretty cool!
    For example, if you want to play a warrior you have to level the marauder and gladiator. Once you unlock the warrior it only uses marauder and gladiator abilites plus the extra abilites of that job.

When you turn your job off, you can be a marauder and use abilites from the other classes you have leveled. For example maybe a healing spell from a conjurer or a defensive buff from a gladiator.

That is how I understand it to play out which essentialy equates to haveing a highly customizable play experience for solo play and a locked in specialization for endgame group content. Kinda nice really.