10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    The first part is a counter question to show how stupid the question was. The second part is answering the question. The two sentences aren't connected, wasn't that difficult to understand.

Simply put there are people who spends a lot of money on anything, why would games be any different?
    That's not how I interpreted it, emphasis is lost in text.

Anyways, the person who said it already clarified that I was wrong.

This is one of those situations where if I ignore the replies it looks weird, but if I reply then the subject likely continues.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Who in their right mind pays 200 bucks for a friggin video game? Oo
    Whoever think's the game (and that package with all the extras) is worth it.

I like the game; hell, I bought a copy of the lore book for my own entertainment. But the $200 USD is overkill city to me. I may have been tempted to buy a CE were it half that price.

Reminds me of how base copies of games in years past came with a lot of the doodads that are bundled in these CEs nowadays; I have my original box copy of Neverwinter Nights that had the cloth map of the areas surrounding Neverwinter (including all the areas the game would be set in). Not to mention a massive ~300 page instruction manual (because it was basically the D&D player's guide condensed to fit in a book that was 5" x 7" (11 cm x 15.4ish cm for all of our non-Muricans ).

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't had "job" since well.. graduating from school some years ago, so my monthly income is low, but I still felt like grabbing the Collector's Edition and had price of 150 to 200€ in mind, with the 200€ being highest I'm willing to squeeze in.

Tho, I'll probably need to cancel my Elder Scrolls Online Collector's to support this purchase -- have had some unexpected costs, would have liked to obtain the book that comes with it.

Starting to see evidence confirming an earlier suspicion: New data center appears to be located in Sacramento, CA. I'm not at home to where I can personally test that evidence, but if that is true...RIP EU folks on Aether/Primal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Starting to see evidence confirming an earlier suspicion: New data center appears to be located in Sacramento, CA. I'm not at home to where I can personally test that evidence, but if that is true...RIP EU folks on Aether/Primal.
    Wonder if they'll plan to offer free transfers to EU soon.

When they moved EU datacenter, they offered players option to move out of Chaos, but for some reason didn't let people to join it.

Because the Chaos data center is being relocated, certain players may find they are no longer playing on a desirable World. In order to address this issue, players will be allowed to transfer from Worlds within the Chaos data center to Worlds within the Elemental, Gaia, Mana, Aether, or Primal data centers free of charge for one week.

*The free World transfer service will not apply to characters moved from the Elemental, Gaia, Mana, Aether, or Primal data centers to the Chaos data center.

I'm seeing some people talking about different places. I saw a few regarding Sacramento like you mentioned, but there was a disclaimer

e: Don't take traceroutes as gospel, though -- someone pointed out in the FFXIV Discord that the last hop is an IXP router and there is no termination inside SE or RW as yet. Take this with a large pinch of NaCl.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Wonder if they'll plan to offer free transfers to EU soon.

When they moved EU datacenter, they offered players option to move out of Chaos, but for some reason didn't let people to join it.

Because the Chaos data center is being relocated, certain players may find they are no longer playing on a desirable World. In order to address this issue, players will be allowed to transfer from Worlds within the Chaos data center to Worlds within the Elemental, Gaia, Mana, Aether, or Primal data centers free of charge for one week.

*The free World transfer service will not apply to characters moved from the Elemental, Gaia, Mana, Aether, or Primal data centers to the Chaos data center.
    Didn't they announce that free transfer when they announced Chaos being moved to EU, though? If so, I would think they would've said something about free transfers to the other datacenters from the NA ones by now.

Maybe they didn't, though, so not to alert people to the significance of the move.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I'm seeing some people talking about different places. I saw a few regarding Sacramento like you mentioned, but there was a disclaimer
    Maybe by the time I'm off work, I'll be able to put some of the speculation to the test myself. Even discounting tracert results, the photos Yoshida posted a couple months ago match stock photos for a data center in Sacramento operated by RagingWire. That being said...they are merely stock photos, so it's entirely possible that the NA datacenter could be any of those under that company's umbrella.

Personally I'd like it to be in Dallas; more centrally located and it's just over half the distance from me compared to Montreal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't they announce that free transfer when they announced Chaos being moved to EU, though? If so, I would think they would've said something about free transfers to the other datacenters from the NA ones by now.

Maybe they didn't, though, so not to alert people to the significance of the move.
    Maybe, maybe not - was already playing on EU datacenter, so didn't really pay my mind to it. But I can imagine it being awful for some players with distance going even greater - already saw some players posting how they'll cancel Stormblood pre-orders with ping climbing high.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Expertly Crafted Zenos yae Galvus Figure (this is where most of the money goes...these figures are always stupidly expensive)
    I know, my friend has a few of those (related to Animes, not games), I think he paid 80+ per figure.

I hope these figures are at least hand crafted and actually look decent.

- - - Updated - - -

But the $200 USD is overkill city to me. I may have been tempted to buy a CE were it half that price.
    Same here. I'd expected the CE to be around 2x the price of the normal edition, that's what you usually see with Blizzards.

Though to be fair: I'm sure a few people will call me crazy for buying an alto flute for 2.000 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Maybe, maybe not - was already playing on EU datacenter, so didn't really pay my mind to it. But I can imagine it being awful for some players with distance going even greater - already saw some players posting how they'll cancel Stormblood pre-orders with ping climbing high.
    Wouldn't blame those people, either, and perhaps if enough people do that and state as to why, perhaps they will allow those players the option to move to other DCs instead of having them cancelling preorders (and consequently, ending subscriptions). Better to eat those free transfers at $18 a pop than losing xpac sales + subs...but that's like, my opinion and all.

I know, my friend has a few of those (related to Animes, not games), I think he paid 80+ per figure.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here. I'd expected the CE to be around 2x the price of the normal edition, that's what you usually see with Blizzards.

Though to be fair: I'm sure a few people will call me crazy for buying an alto flute for 2.000 bucks.
    It's possible to find a bad quality figurine, but most of the ones I've seen in CE's like this are hand crafted and hand painted, so they at least LOOK nice. That said, some of them can be made with shitty materials and don't last long and fall apart/ break when handled. The Midgardsormr from the last CE was disappointing to many because it was pretty small, I never heard anything bad about the overall quality of it. This one is supposed to be pretty big...like 10" tall or something.

And $2,000 for an alto flute? That sounds like a pretty amazing deal honestly. Most of the ones I've ever seen are at LEAST $5,000, even used with professional models going for ~$7500.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't blame those people, either, and perhaps if enough people do that and state as to why, perhaps they will allow those players the option to move to other DCs instead of having them cancelling preorders (and consequently, ending subscriptions). Better to eat those free transfers at $18 a pop than losing xpac sales + subs...but that's like, my opinion and all.
    Yeah, ping'd both old and new locations.

Avg 128 ms --> avg 213 ms, ouch.

Personally I'd like it to be in Dallas; more centrally located and it's just over half the distance from me compared to Montreal.
    I had a lot of good experience with games/servers with Dallas data centers, so I would have been entirely down with that.

- - - Updated - - -

To be nice to myself, I'll call myself musically challenged, but I know that (electric) guitars and accompanying equipment (amps, pedals, etc) can cost that much and then some. Pretty sure the same applies to drum kits/sets, as well as just about any other musical instrument.

If I wanted to add a supercharger kit to my car, that would cost me 6-7 grand, easily. Moral of the story: Hobbies can be expensive as fuck.

o/ Guilty! Gimme dat statue & map!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It's possible to find a bad quality figurine, but most of the ones I've seen in CE's like this are hand crafted and hand painted, so they at least LOOK nice. That said, some of them can be made with shitty materials and don't last long and fall apart/ break when handled. The Midgardsormr from the last CE was disappointing to many because it was pretty small, I never heard anything bad about the overall quality of it. This one is supposed to be pretty big...like 10" tall or something.

And $2,000 for an alto flute? That sounds like a pretty amazing deal honestly. Most of the ones I've ever seen are at LEAST $5,000, even used with professional models going for ~$7500.
    Ya my biggest gripe about the midgardsormr statue is the size and that his claws/feet don't sit in their grooves properly. Otherwise, the material of it seems decent (dunno much about statue materials tbh). The Xenos statue looks pretty good from the few pictures I've seen of it/

I'm not sure I would drop $200 all at once especially as the only thing that interests me in that collection is the art book, but I am totally guilty of giving SE extra money for Final Fantasy XIV extras. I have the Encyclopedia Eorzia (totally worth btw), and have the glamour of Cid, Aymeric, Urianger, Thancred (both of them), and will likely get the art books at some point down the line.

Granyala: Who spends $200 on a video game?!
    Faroth: Pfsh, I've spent more on less useful things! *throws money at the video game*
    Granyala: >_<#

How do @Granyala and I get a manga made? We need that sweet anime adaptation money (that I will then spend on video game collector's editions).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    The main theme is ok. I'm not a fan of themes that are just entire songs with words for the whole duration. It sounds lovely, but just too much. I would have liked some time to just hear the orchestra. I guess I'll love the music only version.
    Answers was only half of the opening cinematic for A Realm Reborn.
    Heavensward was only about half of the opening cinematic for Heavensward (and most associated Dragonsong with the expansion more than Heavensward it seems)

Maybe there's still a bit more in store for us with the Stormblood cinematic. After all, the trailer is only 4 minutes and doesn't include much of Revolutions already where the full cinematic likely will.

I may have been tempted to buy a CE were it half that price.
    I was tempted even at the current price...and honestly if the statue was of a different character (like the Lady in Red or Yugiri, for example) I probably would be getting it, despite it being overpriced.

The artbook will probably be "sold" as a SE Members Reward Points option in the future like the one for ARR was (and even if it doesn't the art will be in some future art book anyway), and lord knows I spend enough on soundtracks and art books as it is so I'll likely have the points for it by the time it's available.

The other stuff I can pass on...and a statue of Zenos just doesn't hold any draw for me like certain other characters would.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    You implied anyone who falls into all of those categories wouldn't say no to it.

Just because you like something and have the money for it doesn't mean you're definitely going to buy it.

If that was the case I'd be eternally broke.
    If you'd be eternally broke, then you actually wouldn't have the money for it.

It is all relative; for some $200 on collectors stuff for something they like is literally nothing; but their household income might be 6 digits. I don't see the person working for minimum wage, no matter how much they want it, being able to afford it or see the price premium worth it/affordable. Someone who brings home $2000/wk would probably not think twice at $200 for a one time purchase for a thing they are into.

You are personalizing the purchase way too much, without thinking about how other's lives can be vastly different. For me I see a lot of this stuff in perspective; I drive a car that was $33k new, I spent $300 to change 3 fluids, and spend $50 in gas to go less than 300 miles. I didn't buy the CE, but if I had wanted to, it was still cheaper by 1/3 than the maintenance on my car, or how much I spend on fuel a month, or the price of a single tire, etc etc

Anyone with the money and the desire to buy it, would buy it. It is that simple. There have been many, much more expensive collectors editions in the past; look it up. I wouldn't buy them, but some did.

And as Katchii stated, some figurines go for big money (the naughtier ones trend higher as well); so do really high end model cars (I mention because I'm into cars a bit). This autoart nsx is over $200. I personally can't justify it on my budget, but if I made more money, I'd have one; as I do have some model cars like RX-7s, RX-8s, concept cars, etc that I bought when my income to expense ratio was better

Servers up soon; hopefully before midnight for those of us wanting some play before bed
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory