7+ Year Old Account
    As a tank I generally go by how geared my healer is
    High geared healers, I will go ham and pull as much as I can
    Low geared healers, I don't want them to be freaking out so ill pull smaller packs
    My job as a tank is to make sure things go smooth from doing steady trash pulls, to correct boss positions, and taking as little damage as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Well, as @Granyala already said, the truth hurts sometimes. I personally would rather come across as a little bit of an ass for pointing out how someone is "doing it wrong" and provide some feedback than suffer through a dungeon or raid with someone either deliberately or inadvertently not doing their job and making the whole situation worse for everyone involved.
    Having just leveled a few classes I do not excel at, I often had the thought "Man, why couldn't s/o SAY something!"
    E.g.: when I realized half way through the dungeon that I had YET AGAIN >.< forgot to reapply NiN poisons.
    Ugh.

If I want to improve, I need input on how to do better. Who else than other players is supposed to give said input on the fly?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Low geared healers, I don't want them to be freaking out so ill pull smaller packs
    Pretty much, yes.
    Typically my first pull tends to be a little on the cautious side, when I see that the group can cope I pull big.
    I don't like to do insane pulls, because I don't main a tank and do make mistakes myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it comes to party finder groups in any content, the adage, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should," is some good advice to take.

Slow your roll, and help your party. 9 times out of 10 you'll enjoy the run more yourself, as will they, and being the elite supreme beings some of you seem to think you are, you might even teach them a thing or two about efficient laser pew-pewing or cleric stance-dancing.

Now that that's off my chest, is it just me, or will my BLM ever get to see out of his right eye?
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun View Post
    Now that that's off my chest, is it just me, or will my BLM ever get to see out of his right eye?
    I have never understood that design choice. Original BLM sprite, Vivi, to my knowledge no Black Mage in all of Final Fantasy had one eye covered. I don't undersatnd the design choice for the FFXIV BLM aesthetic to do so in their iconic gear sets.

When it comes to party finder groups in any content, the adage, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should," is some good advice to take.

Slow your roll, and help your party. 9 times out of 10 you'll enjoy the run more yourself, as will they, and being the elite supreme beings some of you seem to think you are, you might even teach them a thing or two about efficient laser pew-pewing or cleric stance-dancing.

Wasn't the BLM AF1 covering the left eye? I think they're switching it up...regardless, when will high level BLM get to see out of both eyes? IMO that aesthetic looks ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. You sacrificed your right eye in order to get to wield the dark powers (5 cookies were included, don't eat them all at once)!

It's to cover up the true source of our power: A black eye.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't the BLM AF1 covering the left eye? I think they're switching it up...regardless, when will high level BLM get to see out of both eyes? IMO that aesthetic looks ridiculous.
    I'm guessing (reaching really damn far, tbh) that the idea is the closed eye is seeing the world through Aetherflows, kinda like Y'Shtola, or some other pretentious nonsense. BLM is supposed to be adept at drawing upon the Aether around the caster and using that to power spells, rather than the Aether inside.
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    "I disagree, here's why the MSQ is crucial and a core of the game: [Present reasons]"
    Every time I've asked about something like this, the reasons have always been along the lines of;
    • It's a Final Fantasy game
    • It was designed that way.

I get that it's designed that way, I do play it afterall. Whenever I've asked about why it was designed that way, and what benefits it has over a more free form questing structure people have gone back to "Because it's Final Fantasy". It's very disapointing that no one seems able to present anything better in it's defense than "I enjoyed it" and "That is the ineffable will of Square Enix".

It also makes any discussion on story as a core engagement impossible - Especially when people take a statement like "I don't enjoy the story" to mean "I want to change this game to fit my exact ideal". Which leads me nicely to;

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    What I am saying is that our community is so dangerously close to turning into an echo chamber where we refuse new players because they have differing viewpoints or criticize the game. Then instead of defending ourselves or dismantling their arguments we resort to attacking these players with saddening displays of leave we don't want you here attitude. It's not healthy for the game, and frankly it's hypocritical when so many of us praise the games community in the same sentence.
    This seems to happen with most MMO's, just check out the Rift forums if you want a good example of it in action. Players seem to really struggle with the idea that crticism comes from a desire to see the game be the best it can be, not to tear it down. Trion, the creators and publishers of Rift, have actively gone out of their way to silence any criticism or dissent on their forums and Reddits and instead listened to their echo chamber player base. The result is they have ended up with increasingly aggressive monetisation methods and ultimately followed with expansion that has, from publicly availiable metrics, been a complete failure. It should serve as a stark warning for any gaming community.

The worst of the worst, in my opinion, are the players who adamantly resist any changes that are proposed. Games change and evolve over their lifespans, games with a lifespan that could very well turn out to be decades long change a lot in that time. Games that do not change stagnate and die much faster than one that is constantly improving. Even right now the people who are paranoid about changes ruining "their game" are excited for Stormblood, an exapnsion that's bringing tonnes of changes to the game!

If I hit 50 and buy HW, do I start getting exp towards 60 right away? Or do I have to finish the ARR storyline before I start gaining exp past 50?
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    If I hit 50 and buy HW, do I start getting exp towards 60 right away? Or do I have to finish the ARR storyline before I start gaining exp past 50?
    You get exp right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    You get exp right away.
    Thank you for the quick response, guess I have to buy HW now then. Kinda sucks that you apparently can't buy SB and immediately get HW with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

So you get a pass because you personally don't have it installed even though you're more than willing to ask for the information from someone else and use it to your advantage? Yeah that goes over about as well as a crooked politician trying to get out of a murder charge because HE didn't pull the trigger...it was the assassin he paid that pulled the trigger. GTFO.

You're missing the point entirely.

Also, most people don't like or appreciate getting called out when they're doing something wrong, and the person calling them out therefore looks like an ass to them. Well, as @Granyala already said, the truth hurts sometimes. I personally would rather come across as a little bit of an ass for pointing out how someone is "doing it wrong" and provide some feedback than suffer through a dungeon or raid with someone either deliberately or inadvertently not doing their job and making the whole situation worse for everyone involved. If the person is willing to listen to criticism and improve their performance it's win win, if they're an ass about it and refuse to improve then it's lose lose...but in that situation I'd usually kick them. But for me their performance has to be REALLY bad for me to take it that far.

As I've said before, along with many others (someone even has a quote about it), yeah you pay your sub...but so do the other people in the group/ raid which means there's always AT LEAST 3 more people who pay a sub alongside you, which means you're in the minority. Playing sub optimally on purpose is disrespectful to everyone else in the group, and being unwilling to change your playstyle to be more effective and/or helpful to the group or raid is just as disrespectful.
    But hey, first of all, I ask from my raiders to link me the ACT for OUR raids, where we are 8 friends playing together, and we strive to help each other get better. As a raid leader they want my input, and I like knowing if I perform well myself. I do not ask my friends/raiders to provide me with the dps numbers of strangers. And you know, I switch stances and use all my offensive spells while healing dungeons to finish them fast cause it's fun for me, so I am not one of these people who say 'I pay my sub so I play the way I want'. Or well, I say that, but the way I want to play is the optimal one, so I never get comments to stop being lazy or w/e. My point was that I am not one of the people some tryhards here try to insult, yet, even though such healers might delay me when playing a dungeon with them, I will respect them and try to go with their pace.

It's a random dungeon finder, you basically have to expect anything the moment you decide to sign up for a dungeon with random people. It's selfish to ask them to get better without knowing their circumstances exactly, but even if you know, you are still an ass for doing it. Get some friends and you will never have to bother dealing with 'horrible' healers as some people here have labelled them. I imagine that's tough though, I mean, who wants to be friends with an ass who complains about min-maxing inside trivial instances, because let's face it, everything aside from Savage (and some EX raids when people can't outgear them like fuck), are the only tough content that requires half a braincell to do.

The best thing is to kindly try to help them without hurting their feelings or ruining their mood. If they can't manage, but the run is doable, then just accept it. If they can't manage and are an ass then kick them as you said. But you should never try to help in a way that might offend someone.

I'm guessing (reaching really damn far, tbh) that the idea is the closed eye is seeing the world through Aetherflows, kinda like Y'Shtola, or some other pretentious nonsense. BLM is supposed to be adept at drawing upon the Aether around the caster and using that to power spells, rather than the Aether inside.
    It's a trope: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=Chuunibyou

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    I was 54 before I even started on my 2.1 stuff the last week.

Random thought, they haven't said anything about changing legacy accounts have they? I enjoy getting the best sub package for 10 bucks lol, so hope they never do.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Every time I've asked about something like this, the reasons have always been along the lines of;
    • It's a Final Fantasy game
    • It was designed that way.

I get that it's designed that way, I do play it afterall. Whenever I've asked about why it was designed that way, and what benefits it has over a more free form questing structure people have gone back to "Because it's Final Fantasy". It's very disapointing that no one seems able to present anything better in it's defense than "I enjoyed it" and "That is the ineffable will of Square Enix".

It also makes any discussion on story as a core engagement impossible - Especially when people take a statement like "I don't enjoy the story" to mean "I want to change this game to fit my exact ideal". Which leads me nicely to;
    People need to remember, this is a japanese developed game. They don't have the same design philosophies that the west does. They never embraced open world game play the way we did. They have never embraced the FPS at all. They prefer a more structured game play. Thats how all their games are developed. I've never seen Yoshida further elaborate on why the main story is required. Thats just how all Japanese RPG's are designed.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    This seems to happen with most MMO's, just check out the Rift forums if you want a good example of it in action. Players seem to really struggle with the idea that crticism comes from a desire to see the game be the best it can be, not to tear it down. Trion, the creators and publishers of Rift, have actively gone out of their way to silence any criticism or dissent on their forums and Reddits and instead listened to their echo chamber player base. The result is they have ended up with increasingly aggressive monetisation methods and ultimately followed with expansion that has, from publicly availiable metrics, been a complete failure. It should serve as a stark warning for any gaming community.

The worst of the worst, in my opinion, are the players who adamantly resist any changes that are proposed. Games change and evolve over their lifespans, games with a lifespan that could very well turn out to be decades long change a lot in that time. Games that do not change stagnate and die much faster than one that is constantly improving. Even right now the people who are paranoid about changes ruining "their game" are excited for Stormblood, an exapnsion that's bringing tonnes of changes to the game!
    People are protective of their hobbies. We invest a lot of time and money into these games. And I don't mind changes. But not when I feel it could bring down the value of the game. And an expansion that builds on the game is different then a change that takes away from the identity of the game. Sotrmblood is adding to what we love. Of course I'm excited for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    I honestly dont see whats so hard about communnication.

As a tank. Start the dungeons saying "Big pulls?". Healer responds and you are good to go. DPS are irrelevant. Thier job doesnt become any easier or harder by the so called high-skill gameplay.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    My job as a tank is to make sure things go smooth from doing steady trash pulls, to correct boss positions, and taking as little damage as possible.
    Uh, not sure why tank/healer is the common factor here? Have you guys not healed dungeons with tank doing mass pulls and low dps? As a healer when I heal dungeons in a group with good dps, even with mass pulls it's faceroll easy. On the opposite side of that, I've been in groups where tank rotates through every single one of his cds and I do too, and all the mobs would still be over half life and tank gets one shot from the amount of mobs still alive. What else could I have done?

As a tank I mass pull or do small pulls based on if dps is shit or not, not how good/bad the healer is.

Quote Originally Posted by Valaut View Post
    It's a random dungeon finder, you basically have to expect anything the moment you decide to sign up for a dungeon with random people. It's selfish to ask them to get better without knowing their circumstances exactly, but even if you know, you are still an ass for doing it. Get some friends and you will never have to bother dealing with 'horrible' healers as some people here have labelled them. I imagine that's tough though, I mean, who wants to be friends with an ass who complains about min-maxing inside trivial instances, because let's face it, everything aside from Savage (and some EX raids when people can't outgear them like fuck), are the only tough content that requires half a braincell to do.

The best thing is to kindly try to help them without hurting their feelings or ruining their mood. If they can't manage, but the run is doable, then just accept it. If they can't manage and are an ass then kick them as you said. But you should never try to help in a way that might offend someone.
    Won't comment on the first paragraph, as it's pointless (difference of opinions mostly, and it wouldn't be productive anyway).

As far as being an ass for expecting people to perform well in a group; fine I'm an ass. But I'm a fair one, IMO. I expect people to do their best, or at least adequate because I know sometimes people have off days or whatever, out of respect for the time and effort the other people they're playing with are putting in. If I notice someone not doing well I'll give pointers and suggestions, ask if they've read guides or are interested in learning because I notice xyz thing about their performance. How is that being an ass? Are you suggesting I just let it slide and 1) let a slacker get away with being a slacker or 2) miss an opportunity to teach someone how to improve?

I'm not really OK with either option. If that makes me an ass, fine, I'm an ass alongside everyone like me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    On the opposite side of that, I've been in groups where tank rotates through every single one of his cds and I do too, and all the mobs would still be over half life and tank gets one shot from the amount of mobs still alive. What else could I have done?
    I hate when that happens. Such an awkward moment when you have blown all CD and all you mana, yet the mobs are unimpressed by the pathetic DPS of the group. AWKWARD

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not really OK with either option. If that makes me an ass, fine, I'm an ass alongside everyone like me.
    Well you know today's gaming generation. "Waah waah he dared to criticize me! Waaah!" Doesn't matter HOW you do it.
    The mere act of saying "you did sth. wrong" in front of others seems to be a no go for most of them.

It's friggin embarrassing how badly most people take any form of critique. Got into fights with guild officers multiple times b/c they always wanted to baby everyone (only critique in whisper etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well you know today's gaming generation. "Waah waah he dared to criticize me! Waaah!" Doesn't matter HOW you do it.
    The mere act of saying "you did sth. wrong" in front of others seems to be a no go for most of them.

It's friggin embarrassing how badly most people take any form of critique. Got into fights with guild officers multiple times b/c they always wanted to baby everyone (only critique in whisper etc).
    Don't really need the gaming here.