10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I saw one post on reddit stating they were seeing a 22 gb download after they had completed the 6.1 gb one earlier. Considering the drive space requirement increase they listed, I would not be surprised if there's another 22 gb to go. I won't be able to check until later.
    Pretty sure there won't be 22 GB since that's be basically downloading whole game again (in size).

Sure there was "Stormblood will be a full standalone game's worth of content" said, but eh - we aren't even getting new playable race nor improved character customization.

Just a little under 12 hours to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Odd thing is the PSN stormblood is listed as "playable in 2hrs 41 minutes" at the time of typing this. i imagine thats just a hard time set by sony and not to do with maintenance but i can imagine some casual players being real confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Isn't it a bit over* 12 hours?

At least Reddit is showing 12, and so is my own timer.

12 hours and 35 minutes to be exact (at the time of writing).

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    12 hours and 35 minutes to be exact (at the time of writing).
    thats what the news thing said, let's hope they are done until that

Its very rare for them to be late. Heck the data center move which I'd imagine was a bigger undertaking came up a bit early. Though if they do finish early I'd imagine they'll still wait till the time stated.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Yeah reminder: dataminers ruin everything.
    Oh sure blame them and not the people for reading them

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    If I'm that bored tonight, I'll go back and dig for correlations to SWTOR's release, Conan's release, Wildstar's release, ARR release, and various big updates otherwise. I'm pretty sure I specifically recall something around HW release, but I'd have to dig to recall what it is.

I doubt I'm going to feel it's important enough to put the time toward, though.

(Also you bolded 7.2 patch. I assume you meant to bold 3.5 and NH patches as matches)

Also, Heavensward launched on June 23, 2015, not July 19. Patch 6.2 was scheduled to release on the exact same day as Heavensward.

So that's 2 expansions in a row that WoW had a major content addition/access and 1 patch where both coincided. Half of the WoW list.
    First things first - good catch on that HW issue. I need to see how I messed that up because I very distinctly remember getting FF14's info directly from the patch archives, but alas down for maintenance atm for me to confirm.

I wrote above the bolded was content I added in to the OP, but in retrospect I can see how it could be easily mistaken for matching. My fault for not being more clear.

I didn't take into account other games because let's be honest for a second. I honestly believe that Blizz doesn't care about anyone but the big competition. Whether or not that's a flaw in my analysis is 100% open to discussion. If we wanted to get technical there are only 4 weeks in a given month. There are a dozen+ studios releasing games. There is bound to be someone else on any given week.

All I am saying, is if I sat on a jury deliberating on a case of whether or not Blizz releases content with intent to undermine FF14 specifically I would have to say I couldn't make that decision without a doubt (as the law here in the US requires). If it was EVERY single time or even almost every single time I could see the case, but it's barely 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I've never heard of that game, but that seems interesting. It certainly puts faith in me that maybe some developer will lift combat from both games and finally innovate for a PvE-focused games. I'm kind of tired of all the action combat MMOs with my high fantasy dreams being strictly PvP focused. It's not my cup of tea, and I've grown exhausted with tab-target combat. Also, that was me playing BnS. There's a noticeable "bloom" effect on everything that makes the colors a little too bright and "glowy", if you know what I mean. Ultimately my concerns had a lot to do with the theme/setting. So I couldn't play a traditional shield class if I wanted, or a Knight. Generally I don't like the "Wushu" style games because the classes don't fit my ideal high fantasy.
    Ah that's actually what I expected. If you don't like the atmosphere or aesthetic then it all makes sense. Know full well I am shield in arms. I'd reroll instantly if there was a Knight/Paladin class in BNS. That's my go to archetype.

You could have turned bloom off (I actually quite like it, makes the art style pop).

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    The trouble is, I get discouraged very easily, and I honestly might need a new controller. Every time I go to press the block button my character doesn't seem to know whether I pressed it or not, so while I'm holding the button the character will raise/drop the shield in a loop over and over again. A little while ago, I had gotten to the Abyss Watchers? That fight is a nightmare because I can't seem to handle fighting the camera (Trying to keep all 3 in frame at once so I'm not blind-sighted) and the bosses all at once, and if I wait too long for openings I just get overwhelmed by them. 48 tries later and I've all but given up.
    Yo you definitely need a new controller it sounds like. I know a lot of people use block, but I just roll everything to great success. Block never worked well for me despite my friends saying it "trivialized" the game. Shit just got me killed LOL.

As far as the watchers go, play patiently If there are 3 up they will try and attack each other and you can run in and get a hit off or two and retreat. Remember that the one is only the issue. Don't try to do 4-5 hit combos, 1-2 then retreat.

Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    While you are taking in account full life cycle, once you get close, at that point, you can tweak release dates, especially if you've kept your progress and more precise goals out of the public view. As soon as the competition lets the cat out of the bag, you then have that choice. So in this situation, Once SB had a release date, Blizzard would be free to tweak their games patch releases that were close to ready to be close enough to that date.
    I don't disagree with your analysis, in fact I actually 100% agree, but I don't see this as an indication because logically let's say Blizz has either last week or this week to release ToS. Sure they pick next to undermine FF14, but in reality it doesn't make a difference. It was still going to release 'around' that time regardless and no player is going to be torn on what to play. The way some people on here argue is that Blizz decides a year out that they are going to release a big patch on FF14 day. I merely disagree with that notion. Does that clarify my position better?

This doesn't mean it is what they did, but the track history of Blizzard, no matter what they claim, is pretty much in line with releasing content patches pretty much matching the major competition of the time, be it Rift, SWtoR, FFXIV, whatever. It is a consistent coincidence, over the course of nearly a decade I've been paying attention ... if you don't have any doubt or ability to question their motives and statements, that is on you. They've proven to be liars about some things; which is 'fair play' in some instances ... because it can be considered more like a bluff in poker or just holding industry secrets; sometimes it was for manipulatoin of perception, even if it backfired.
    I look at it differently. There are x studios releasing games (whether they're considered competition or not). There are only 4 weeks in a given month to release anything. There's going to overlap, in fact there's going to be a lot of overlap. In fact BNS just released a patch on Wednesday, do you think Blizz went out of the way to drop their patch a week early to undermine them? I don't believe they did. As I said before, overlap. Strictly IMO of course.

Do you agree/disagree that there is merit in my statement?

You say you can't just slap new body panels on a car; but that is what is mostly done. The actual innovation is in much longer strides. In the 6 year cycle, there is a 3 year refresh.

-Snip-
    To clarify my analysis was based on generations of models, not their mid-year refreshes which are almost always just aesthetic stuff, we agree on that. Using your example which is actually very good to illustrate my purpose.

Look at the 2006 Civic Si. 197hp, 6spd, aggressive styling inside and out. Look at the 2012 which got an entirely new engine, updated suspension/chassis, modernized interior updates with new display, etc.

For the same reason look at the 2017 Si. It's universally laughed at in the enthusiast world, because almost nothing changed, and what did change wasn't for the better (to an enthusiast). There were clear evolution of the model in these years (and even more so in the generations prior).

Other than styling, what would I get from a 2017 Accord coupe that is miles ahead of a 1997 Accord coupe? Almost all the evolution is in styling/design and increasing government standards as we learn more about safety and create better tests and have more information and dedicated research.
    You get the same MPG but with more powerful engines, tech features (too long to list), and additional safety features. The point is that as the industry evolves so to do the cars in it. That's why you can't release a 97 accord (award winning car) in todays market it won't be a success.

MMO design is similar in that what was really good in 2014, might not be as good or welcome today. I was merely drawing the conclusion that while ARR was indeed good, if ARR was released right now instead of SB people might not like it, and those would likely say 'feels' like a step backwards, much like the 2017 Si.

So, even though you may feel all the MMOs are the same, they really aren't; and I've played a lot of the bigger ones. They all cater to different tastes and playstyles. Very few of them were actually terrible, they just cater to specific styles. WoW, SWtOR, Tera, GW2, Rift, Wildstar, FFXIV, LotR, FFXI, BDO, Aion, etc. Some of them failed, a couple might have been bad, some of them ruined a good thing, some of them still go strong even if your idea of success is different. Some people don't want tab/targeted gameplay, so they go for Tera/BDO. Some love an IP, so they go for SW, LotR, FF. Even if the base design is similar, there are enough differences, even if only the story, game lore, world, visual ... that people spread out and stick with what they prefer, and none of them are wrong. Games don't need to have much more than a few hundred thousand subs to be successful and to produce content.
    Not sure where this bit comes from as I didn't bring up or mention any of this. I don't actually believe all MMO's are the same and if I stated so somewhere let me know so I can correct it. I actually believe every MMO does something right that other MMO's could better utilize. I think we're in agreement here.

Uhm. So.... yeah?

The "parry" attribute has been changed to "tenacity."

This attribute is only applicable to the tank role. The higher the value, the more damage dealt, the more HP restored, and the less damage taken.

I'm glad they replaced Parry with something rather than remove it and not bring in something new. Tenacity does actually look decent.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-06-15 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    "Affinity"?
    You are focusing on that instead of the 8000 bloody potency?!

It's a single target PvP Limit Break, so yeah, it's gonna be high. And it kinda needs to be given that in the current (well, previous) version of PvP you could sometimes melee LB a HEALER and not kill them. If you used it on a tank it would barely scratch them.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    You are focusing on that instead of the 8000 bloody potency?!
    I mean... this is the melee lb in pvp. With the new pvp rules, 8000 potency is literally 8000 dmg. I dont see whats wrong/surprising here

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    I mean... this is the melee lb in pvp. With the new pvp rules, 8000 potency is literally 8000 dmg. I dont see whats wrong/surprising here
    Oh.... I thought it was stronger.

I wish LB would be personnal in pve. :/

I'm tired of people not letting me use the beautiful AST LB even tho the raid is full health

Homophobia is so gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't mind me, I'm just hyperventilating over here.

IT'S HAPPENING!

Sorry not sorry I'm super excited for the new expansion, especially for Red Mage and the Bard revamp, and for Yugiri and Lyse to get more screen time.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Having trouble figuring out what to play at launch? The solution is here!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...picking_a_job/

I got BRD. Hey I was going to level that anyways!
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-06-15 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Having trouble figuring out what to play at launch? The solution is here!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...picking_a_job/

I got BRD. Hey I was going to level that anyways!
    Red Mage first but if it sucks then Bard is my fallback option.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Yugiri might get more screen time but on behalf of y'shtola's life according to the trailer :v
    y'shtola is too iconic to die tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Gremlin View Post
    -snip-.
    I'd advise tagging spoilers please. Not everyone has watched that trailer here. Not having a go but of course not everyone has seen that trailer. Faroth was supposed to be creating a thread for Stormblood discussion but well it ain't out yet hehe.