Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Hey all,

So I got back into my old account and the character I want to play is sitting in Limsa as a 21 lancer. If I wanted to go back to playing WHM, how would you suggest doing so on the same character? Should I just run around doing fates until WHM is 21 then pick up questing where I left off? Or would palace of the dead be faster?

Apologies and thanks!

P.S. Oh and does anyone heal with a controller successfully? Can't lie it's pretty nice being able to lay back and play my gamepad and it totally works running around questing but I'd rather not get used to doing that if it's going to hurt me at end game.
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2019-02-22 at 04:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Hey all,

So I got back into my old account and the character I want to play is sitting in Limsa as a 21 lancer. If I wanted to go back to playing WHM, how would you suggest doing so on the same character? Should I just run around doing fates until WHM is 21 then pick up questing where I left off? Or would palace of the dead be faster?

Apologies and thanks!

P.S. Oh and does anyone heal with a controller successfully? Can't lie it's pretty nice being able to lay back and play my gamepad and it totally works running around questing but I'd rather not get used to doing that if it's going to hurt me at end game.
    Palace of the dead will be super fast, faster than FATE's for sure.

It's entirely possible to play any role successfully on a controller, just need to set your hotbar up in a way that makes it effective to use. I don't have exact numbers...but I'd wager that literally tens of THOUSANDS of people play successfully on a controller, given how many people play on PS4.

As someone who heals pretty much 95% of the time with a controller on both PC and PS4.

It's easy. Even AST which has to deal with the draw mechanics on top of healing. WHM is definitely the easiest with a controller due to the type of healer it is. Direct.

Hey all,

Apologies and thanks!

Healing on PS4 is pretty easy. up and down on the d pad scrolls through party members, the touchpad mouse can be used to select individuals and thats about it. Though i highly recommend picking up Astrologian in Ishgard when you can. WHM is a fine healer but super basic and boring. Its personal taste of course but i cannot recommend trying AST if you like healing enough.

I've managed to heal an 8 man raid with a Street Fighter Arcade stick before now. It was a bit awkward turning the camera at times, but it wasn't a huge handicap. You'll honestly be just fine with a controller, any kind of controller. Just use whatever you're most comfortable with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    As someone who heals pretty much 95% of the time with a controller on both PC and PS4.

It's easy. Even AST which has to deal with the draw mechanics on top of healing. WHM is definitely the easiest with a controller due to the type of healer it is. Direct.
    I can't fathom how one can heal with a controller. Ugh. >.<
    Esp 24man raid targeting must be a nightmare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    WHM is a fine healer but super basic and boring. Its personal taste of course but i cannot recommend trying AST if you like healing enough.
    AST is cool and definitely has the prettiest visuals of the three healers but I find the RNG cards annoying.

As for WHM being boring: in savage the difficulty comes mostly from the encounter and failing party members, so all healers are equally entertaining. You're right though, non savage content is pretty auto-pilot on a WHM. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I can't fathom how one can heal with a controller. Ugh. >.<
    Esp 24man raid targeting must be a nightmare.
    Outside of raising other groups' healers, you don't. You shut off emotion and you stare sternly at the other parties in the Alliance and say "If he dies..... he dies."

(This is purely a joke, I have no actual knowledge or experience as a healer, especially not in 24 man)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Outside of raising other groups' healers, you don't. You shut off emotion and you stare sternly at the other parties in the Alliance and say "If he dies..... he dies."

(This is purely a joke, I have no actual knowledge or experience as a healer, especially not in 24 man)
    I mean you're not wrong, atleast...that's what I do. I don't heal other groups unless one of them is the main tank. Only thing I do for the other groups is help raise when they need it. Otherwise, its their healers' job to...heal their group. :|

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Palace of the dead will be super fast, faster than FATE's for sure.

It's entirely possible to play any role successfully on a controller, just need to set your hotbar up in a way that makes it effective to use. I don't have exact numbers...but I'd wager that literally tens of THOUSANDS of people play successfully on a controller, given how many people play on PS4.
    For Palace, I'm not 100% sure how it works as my experience with it is very limited (Just during the few months I tried to come back before SB and my buddy basically just left me there more or less) From what I recall it's just grind it out as fast as you can until a certain floor (I think after first boss?) and then just get out, reset, and repeat is that about right?

TY as well to the others responding. Regarding the AST recommendations; it definitely looks interesting. My WHM love is heavily based on personal bias though; I was a WHM in FFXI and I've always had an affinity for the WHMs in most FF games. Even in WoW I played Priest whenever I wasn't a Mage.

I heard WHM was gutted in SB though forcing them to take many of their normal kit via cross class slots instead? I do typically prefer the direct approach to healing and I like having to decide between a bigger heal and/or a smaller more mana efficient spell. (Though of course it's less fun when I misjudge it and then get to watch the tank die while I'm still casting)
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

For Palace, I'm not 100% sure how it works as my experience with it is very limited (Just during the few months I tried to come back before SB and my buddy basically just left me there more or less) From what I recall it's just grind it out as fast as you can until a certain floor (I think after first boss?) and then just get out, reset, and repeat is that about right?
    Pretty much, yep. Floor 51-60, reset, repeat. Not exciting, but if you're looking to speed level, it's the fastest option. However, you can also do some dungeon runs with your squadron for good experience and credit towards challenge log if they're leveled up a bit.

I also recommend doing the vanu vanu and gnath daily quests in Heavensward. It was a good half million'ish xp that broke up the PotD runs. Once you're 60, start doing the dailies from Stormblood as well as the xp from them is even better. I only did a few Heaven on High (Stormblood's Palace of the Dead).

Also, queue up for the MSQ roulette. You have to watch the cut scenes, but they didn't feel as long to me and the xp was fantastic.

That's how I got WHM to 70 recently, with a mix of all of the above.

Of course, once you've got confidence, you can run all the roulettes with a short queue as a healer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard WHM was gutted in SB though forcing them to take many of their normal kit via cross class slots instead?
    Yup, a moot point though, now that cross class skills are essentially all available (and hopefully incorporated or gone come Shadowbringers).

- - - Updated - - -

I do typically prefer the direct approach to healing and I like having to decide between a bigger heal and/or a smaller more mana efficient spell. (Though of course it's less fun when I misjudge it and then get to watch the tank die while I'm still casting)
    Won't happen, we are mana gods.
    Only way to drain (and that rather quickly) is obscene AoE spam and hardcore DPS.

Somethimes mana gets tight in savage raiding because we have neither bard nor MDC but nothing that a little bit of foresight or DPS stop if necessary won't fix.

For palace, it's intended use anymore for a lot of people is to grind levels out on a class that's level 61 or below. The fastest route is generally to run floors 1-50 until your light levels on your arms and armor are at least ~30 or so, anything less than that and your effectiveness in the higher floors (50+) is really low, especially as a tank or DPS. Once you have that, you just spam floors 51-60 over and over until you reach the desired level of the class all the way up to level 61, anything passed that and the xp/hour is significantly reduced.

Luckily the light level applies to any weapon you use, not just the one you used to grind to that point. It's likely you'll reach level 21 on your WHM well before you get to grinding floors 51-60, but once you get there you can use palace to efficiently level any other class without doing all that work again.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic advice all thanks so much, can't wait to get back to it tonight after work.

Though I have literally no idea what you're talking about when you say Light levels, I'll google that later before I jump back on hehe.

One other question though I suppose. I spent some time on another toon last night setting up the UI and keybinds and some other settings. I had originally intended to play on them to sort of refresh myself and read through the various tutorial stuff before going back to the toon I want to play.

Can I somehow get those settings onto the other character? Or am I doomed to set that all up again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic advice all thanks so much, can't wait to get back to it tonight after work.

Though I have literally no idea what you're talking about when you say Light levels, I'll google that later before I jump back on hehe.

One other question though I suppose. I spent some time on another toon last night setting up the UI and keybinds and some other settings. I had originally intended to play on them to sort of refresh myself and read through the various tutorial stuff before going back to the toon I want to play.

Can I somehow get those settings onto the other character? Or am I doomed to set that all up again?
    easiest way till they fully implement the native way, you can just copy the char data in the settings. https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...her_character/

Man, levelling BLM i went to hand in the lvl.63 quest and since its right by the BLU npcs i did some masked carnival stuff for the first time in a while and boy do i miss BLU. Which sounds so wierd since it came out like a month ago or something, but i loved that spell chase and i love the aesthetic and choose your own spell list nature of the job. I know its far too OP for current level content but i really wish we could queue for ARR content as BLU just for the fun of it. Doing dungeons as a party of BLU's was the most fun i've had in dungeons in a while and its a little sad thats kind of 'done' when you are down to just the primal spells.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Man, levelling BLM i went to hand in the lvl.63 quest and since its right by the BLU npcs i did some masked carnival stuff for the first time in a while and boy do i miss BLU. Which sounds so wierd since it came out like a month ago or something, but i loved that spell chase and i love the aesthetic and choose your own spell list nature of the job. I know its far too OP for current level content but i really wish we could queue for ARR content as BLU just for the fun of it. Doing dungeons as a party of BLU's was the most fun i've had in dungeons in a while and its a little sad thats kind of 'done' when you are down to just the primal spells.
    It's not even hard to make BLU work in DF content at 50.

Just disable Final Sting, 1k Needles, White Wind, Mighty Guard and Self Destruct and good to go. Honestly who cares if it makes 50 DF content a bit steamroll?

I mean without all that their highest potency spell is a 310 AoE that has a fair recast timer.

10+ Year Old Account
    < plays exclusively healer / controller. It works pretty well for me anyways. There are however a lot of shortcuts that aren't shown. For example holding down the hot bar (L2 or R2 default) and pressing R1 and L1 will cycle enemies to the right and left respectively so you don't really have to crab claw the controller or stop moving to press the DPAD. I do however swapped L1 and L2 / R1 and R2 but it should still be the same but swapped around.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It's not even hard to make BLU work in DF content at 50.

Just disable Final Sting, 1k Needles, White Wind, Mighty Guard and Self Destruct and good to go. Honestly who cares if it makes 50 DF content a bit steamroll?

I mean without all that their highest potency spell is a 310 AoE that has a fair recast timer.

Dont forget missile and tail-screw they can seriously mess up bosses when they do hit.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    It was as most people predicted, the BLU mage was dead on arrival, but it's nice that it's there for those that like it ofc, I don't mind it if they stick with the current system, but obviously I'd enjoy it much more if they made it into a fully fleshed class. It's a shame it was only popular for the first week though

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    It was as most people predicted, the BLU mage was dead on arrival, but it's nice that it's there for those that like it ofc, I don't mind it if they stick with the current system, but obviously I'd enjoy it much more if they made it into a fully fleshed class. It's a shame it was only popular for the first week though
    i love it but theres not really much to do with it after you get your spell list finished. Like yeah you can farm seals for mount speed increases in old zones. Thats about it. Shit even making the carnival give stuff like crafting crystals would be an improvement to poetics which for someone 5+ years into their time with the game are beyond useless.