I'm new to this game, and I may be lucky to get to 50 before HW arrives (currently 22, just started Sunday). Ok, so I'm months, nay, years behind, but know what? I really don't give a fuck. Game does level syncing properly for high level players doing low level content (namely fates and dungeons). My friend's able to come along and run dungeons with me. I have other friends on the way and I'll be able to do the same with them.

Back in my WoW days, I pretty much ran every single dungeon on any alts while I leveled. This game basically has you do the same thing via the story questline (or at least it has up to the point I've made it to). Could be frustrating if you aren't a tank or have a friend who can tank, though.

As others have noted, the whole game is a new experience for new players. I'm enjoying it thus far, despite the whole "months behind" thing. I don't care. The whole end game raiding thing hasn't even crossed my mind yet (and won't until I'm 50).

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    Stuff
    Maybe that's YOUR experience.

I wonder if it will remain that way once you hit 50 and start having to treadmill climb up just to get into Steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    You keep saying outdated content, but outdated for whom? To a player just starting out it's all a brand new experience, even the stuff that was released at 2.0.

No one has missed your point, we just have completely different opinions on the matter. I'm not going to say let's agree to disagree, because you clearly won't. You're arguing just for the sake of it.

The chocobo is actually considered a party member, so you can't use it while grouped. You also can't join groups or use the Duty Finder while your chocobo is active. It's something the devs have acknowledged needs to be changed to make the companion system more user friendly.
    That's why they are changing it in HW. In fact, you and your friends and your chocobo can que for dungeons in HW(only ARR dungeons,not HW for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post

I wonder if it will remain that way once you hit 50 and start having to treadmill climb up just to get into Steps.
    It's pretty much hope they lower the lvl50 requirements pre HW or up the dungeon/quest rewards in order to make it more plausible without a big stall in leveling. I think people understand a stall would be bad they just believe that the developers will not let it happen. Kinda pointless going in circles with the discussion, a stall will be bad and hopefully they don't allow it to happen. I think most will agree with that, those who are being more positive minded just think they will design around it and prevent it from occuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Museigen View Post
    It's pretty much hope they lower the lvl50 requirements pre HW or up the dungeon/quest rewards in order to make it more plausible without a big stall in leveling. I think people understand a stall would be bad they just believe that the developers will not let it happen. Kinda pointless going in circles with the discussion, a stall will be bad and hopefully they don't allow it to happen. I think most will agree with that, those who are being more positive minded just think they will design around it and prevent it from occuring.
    Finally someone who gets it. Thanks.

Homophobia is so gay.

10+ Year Old Account

...I have a few alts as in ACTUAL alts it does NOT taje long or is hard

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    Finally someone who gets it. Thanks.
    We got it we just know the devs have plans for it already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even when myself and my friends fell behind in patch content, we never fell behind in the gear level.

Hell, I got my dragoon to 50 and without having ANY gear from dungeons I got up to ilevel 90 the same day I turned 50 from grinding and buying what was needed. Extreme level dungeons drop ilevel 100 accessories and gear.

If you are a new player now, grinding out tomes that give you gear that are what, 100 or 110ilvl each? And then once you're ilevel 90 you can do WoD that drops 120 ilvl?

And as for DPS que? My WoD on my dragoon pops in about 10 minutes. I think the longest I've waited was only 15 minutes.

Tbqh being a new player now is significantly easier to gear than being a new player when it all came out.

That said, when I resubbed AFTER ST was out, I didn't complain about doing the quest chain to open it up because it was old content, no I enjoyed the story so I played it.

The only people I see wanting to skip anything are those either tired of the story or don't like the story, in which FF prolly just isn't the game for them in the long run anyways. Most people who can't stand the story and how you have to do things in X order to progress the story quit by the time they're 30.

I'm sure this has been posted but its a amazing read.
    Meet the Guy Who Saved Final Fantasy XIV from Total Disaster
    http://time.com/3817373/final-fantas.../?xid=tcoshare

Can't wait to return but it won't be until after July 1st At lease it will be around my bday lol. I want the collector edition of Heavensward and won't be able to get it until then.

But funny that ill have the collector edition of ARR early next week
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2015-05-29 at 09:58 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

we may explore new directions through a skill tree, in which the player’s job will be determined by what actions have been obtained
    if there's something that's missing in this game it's a skill tree to grant players more ways to customize their classes/jobs.
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    if there's something that's missing in this game it's a skill tree to grant players more ways to customize their classes/jobs.
    I d rather they have skill trees for jobs than have your job determined through a skill tree

Let me share yet another experience I had, regarding the readmill climb you so fear.

Somewhere on the way to level 50, I got invited to a Free Company (guilds from FFXIV). Since I knew no one in the game, I accepted, just to socialize a little while I enjoyed the game.

They did help me with some of the leveling Dungeons and Trials. I specifically asked for help on the Praetorium, the final 2.0 dungeon that finishes the main storylines pre-pacthes. Later I realized the help was not necessary, it could easily be completed in the Party Finder, but anyway... Just after we finished the Dungeon, I thanked them and said, "now I am going to farm some Soldiery (Justive Points) so I can do some Hard Mode Dungeons".

It was then that the GM of the FC asked me in the guild if people would help me craft some stuff for me. Some people DONATED money to me so they could buy mats in the Auction House and craft me some great gear! Along with some money I had, I did the jump from ilvl 49 to ilvl 82, in about half an hour, and that was because he did me the BiS Chest that I am using until now, and that piece alone was quite expensive - I could have gone even higher ilvl. With just a bit of farming, just doing the story dungeons, and doing the first steps of the Relic, I was ilvl 90, enough to complete the entire storyline non-stop.

That was something I was not expecting at all, I would never expect somebody from WoW to help me like this.

Now, I hope it wouldn't be necessary for you to depend on someone generosity, since SE probably will put things in place to help reach ilvl 90 easily... But you can expect to have help from people if you need it.
    Last edited by Madruga; 2015-05-29 at 01:51 PM.

I find lots of the quests in this game taxing. ALthough for the most part i am enjoying it. The pause between picking up a quest where you cant move til the QUEST ACCEPTED flashes on the screen to the cuts that you cant skip. Would be easier on the player to have the main story cuts with voice overs. SWTOR kinda spoiled me with that.

Except it is. I'm sorry but "go talk to x" use your tp, go talk to y. use your tp, go talk to Z... not fun at all. soz
    The mechanics of the quests are certainly nothing special, but many people care far more about the story being told by the quest than how the quest is completed.

Fun is subjective.

It was then that the GM of the FC asked me in the guild if people would help me craft some stuff for me. Some people DONATED money to me so they could buy mats in the Auction House and craft me some great gear! Along with some money I had, I did the jump from ilvl 49 to ilvl 82, in about half an hour, and that was because he did me the BiS Chest that I am using until now, and that piece alone was quite expensive - I could have gone even higher ilvl. With just a bit of farming, just doing the story dungeons, and doing the first steps of the Relic, I was ilvl 90, enough to complete the entire storyline non-stop.
    This mentality and experience are very common in my experience with FFXIV. Since everyone can ultimately use everything, there's nothing wasted by helping someone else get something. 1) Money is pretty easy to come by. 2) Strengthening a person within the FC with new gear strengthens the FC as a whole ind increases the number of people able to do the more difficult/ higher level content with 3) It improves the bonds between FC members, making people more likely to help when asked or when others are in need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys,

I stopped playing after finishing the Main Storyline back during FFXIV:ARR release and just preordered Heavenward.

From asking around it seems like more quests were added to the main storyline in later patches which I need to complete in order to unlock the new zone in Heavensward. However, I do not see any Main Story quest in my quest log.

Can someone please tell me:
    * where can I collect the quest to continue on (last I remember was beating Praetorium). What's next and where do I start it?
    * I am a PLD-50 and a WAR-50 with literally only AF armor and some Darklight pieces. How hard are the dungeons and remaining quesline with that kind of poor gear?
    * is xivdb.com still the place to look for items and such?
    * what would be the most optimal way to gear my toon (I have around 300K gils only)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    Hey guys,

I stopped playing after finishing the Main Storyline back during FFXIV:ARR release and just preordered Heavenward.

From asking around it seems like more quests were added to the main storyline in later patches which I need to complete in order to unlock the new zone in Heavensward. However, I do not see any Main Story quest in my quest log.

* where can I collect the quest to continue on (last I remember was beating Praetorium). What's next and where do I start it?
    * I am a PLD-50 and a WAR-50 with literally only AF armor and some Darklight pieces. How hard are the dungeons and remaining quesline with that kind of poor gear?
    * what would be the most optimal way to gear my toon (I have around 300K gils only)
    Ok first you need to hit vesper bay via horizon second you MIGHT wabt to look at this

https://katella.wordpress.com/2013/1...here-to-start/

It starts with 2.1 there are dungeons you can run thay drop gear also check the marketboard.

Other then those CONSIDER the towers the first can be a pain to unlock but eventually they have ilv 120 gear which is pretty good.

You also will get bonus tomestones from dungeon runs yojr first time

Overall shoukdn't be too hard to gear up now

So am I reading it wrong, or are the new classes jobs that will be off other classes, and IE, you will be able to start at level 50 of them with a job stone? or will they be there own classes that start at 30 and will just have no job stone?

Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    Hey guys,

If Praetorium was your last thing, good bet is to go to the Waking Sands and see if the Scions have the next MSQ quest for ya. There's a lot of MSQ added, but it gets better than it was leading up to Ultima Weapon.

Dungeons in that gear won't be possible, as in some won't let you in. If you have an FC, ask about crafted gear. Alternative, you can run Crystal Tower for chances at gear drops + soldiery/poetics. You can also run Snowcloak and a couple others for tokens to get ilvl 90 AF gear.

XIVdb.com is still fairly solid, though some of their crafting entries are wrong (it says 1 star crafting but it's 3 star)

I would say hit Labyrinth of the Ancients for gear. You will need to go to Mor Dona for some quests to unlock it (I think St. Coinach's), but you can run it, need on gear and there will only be 2 tanks. You won't have to main tank either, just get a feel for it and off tank (or lolzDPS at times). Once you're able to, move on to Syrcus Tower for gear and then finally World of Darkness. Granted, this path does expect RNG to smile on you with drops showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgtkreoss View Post
    So am I reading it wrong, or are the new classes jobs that will be off other classes, and IE, you will be able to start at level 50 of them with a job stone? or will they be there own classes that start at 30 and will just have no job stone?
    The new jobs are just jobs, there's no base class attached to them, you strap on the soul crystal and there you go, and they do start at level 30.

-snip-

Wrong thread!
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2015-05-29 at 06:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I haven't really been following this story convo, but I wanted to add my 2 gil anyways ^^;.

I think generally the MMO community and player doesn't expect an amazing or involved story from an MMO. I personally did not enjoy the story despite watching every cutscene and reading every quest dialogue. The MSQ was, overall, extremely dull. I think the quests could have been cut in half at minimum. The quests where we're rubbing chocobos, fetching crates or telling X that Y just happened were absolutely unnecessary. I'm also very curious how they're going to deal with story dungeons for newcomers in 3.0 since even now they can take forever to get into.

I recently got my sister playing this game and she's not one that cares for stories, she just wanted to play the game with me and some friends, and the MSQ has been absolutely torturous for her.