10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    FFXIV's doing is considerably easier considering their models are already pretty solid (outside of fingers and feet omg).
    Thankfully, there are beautifully made mods for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Well I like that the aesthetic of my character isn't being totally changed.
    I'd actually like the entire aesthetic of my character to be totally changed. The game just doesn't support the looks I'd like for my character.

Which is a shame - Others get to see their character as an extension of themselves but for me that's just not possible. I wouldn't even care if mine was replaced with a bunch of placeholder cubes, it's purpose is entirely functional and it exists for the sole purpose of letting me interact with the game world.

I'm hoping they use this as an opportunity to expand on the number of options available too rather than just a graphical touch up.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I'd actually like the entire aesthetic of my character to be totally changed. The game just doesn't support the looks I'd like for my character.

Which is a shame - Others get to see their character as an extension of themselves but for me that's just not possible. I wouldn't even care if mine was replaced with a bunch of placeholder cubes, it's purpose is entirely functional and it exists for the sole purpose of letting me interact with the game world.

I'm hoping they use this as an opportunity to expand on the number of options available too rather than just a graphical touch up.
    Out of curiosity what's missing for you?

I also don't get to see an extension for myself, would need body sliders and more kinds of hair options for that. But I like to see what others are interested in.

FF14s character creator isn't the best I've seen but its not terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Gotta say, the game feels like a visual novel.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post

I also don't get to see an extension for myself, would need body sliders and more kinds of hair options for that. But I like to see what others are interested in.

FF14s character creator isn't the best I've seen but its not terrible.
    • Extremely limited race variety. They're pretty much all just slight variations of human. Even Hrothgar feel like humans rather than inhuman beastmen.
    • Only a handful of faces.
    • Unless you pick that one male Elezen face, pretty much all of the faces are for a 20s-30s male or a teenager-20s female.
    • Highlander men don't have eyebrows (painted on eyebrows look awful).
    • Au Ra Horns and Hrothgar hair are bundled with your faces. If you might like one horn/hairstyle but prefer a different face, too bad for you. Also, the horns/hair are extremely prominent features of your character but you only have a handful of options to choose from (whereas everyone else can pick from dozens of different hairstyles).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtar Higorei View Post
    Gotta say, the game feels like a visual novel.
    It is indeed a very long winded JRPG and becomes increasingly so as it goes on.

It is indeed a very long winded JRPG and becomes increasingly so as it goes on.
    That's funny. Because people keep telling me it would get better.

Depends on what you want out of the game.

If you want more grounded conflicts and politics like you saw in ARR, then you will get a little bit of that in the Heavensward patches and in Stormblood. After Stormblood, FFXIV becomes a fullblown Kingdom Hearts story about darkness and light and emotions and the organization XIII crew and so on. If you want stakes then unfortunately all of the stakes evaporate after Heavensward.

If you're content with a KH story and you like anime slice of life, and you just want to chill with characters, and don't mind lots of plotholes, then you'll really like the story later on.

First and foremost, I want a game.

If you want more grounded conflicts and politics like you saw in ARR, then you will get a little bit of that in the Heavensward patches and in Stormblood.
    I don't want to play a visual novel.

First and foremost, I want a game.

I don't want to play a visual novel.
    Well what kind of game do you want to play? A war JRPG? Then you might enjoy Tactics Ogre or Fire Emblem 4, as they have a high gameplay-to-cutscene ratio and don't take 300+ hours to complete.

Really, any older JRPG might fits your tastes more. They started ballooning in length in the late 2000s.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account

If you want more grounded conflicts and politics like you saw in ARR, then you will get a little bit of that in the Heavensward patches and in Stormblood. After Stormblood, FFXIV becomes a fullblown Kingdom Hearts story about darkness and light and emotions and the organization XIII crew and so on. If you want stakes then unfortunately all of the stakes evaporate after Heavensward.

If you're content with a KH story and you like anime slice of life, and you just want to chill with characters, and don't mind lots of plotholes, then you'll really like the story later on.
    I'm just about done with ARR, about to move into HW. Story wise my only real complaint is the lack of VM, or the poor VM whenever it is there.

Does this improve at all? Either having more of the cutscenes voiced or improved quality of the VM?

As for the story itself, it's fun enough so far, though I do have some trouble finding any attachment to most of the scions.
    Last edited by AcidicSyn; 2022-03-01 at 08:17 PM.
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Does this improve at all? Either having more of the cutscenes voiced or improved quality of the VM?
    What is VM? Voice... m???? I presume you mean the voice acting?

The English voice acting does improve. For Heavensward, they changed studios. I think the problem was with whoever was the original voice director. ARR had good voice actors like Gideon Emery (the voice of Baltheir in FFXII) so I don't think it was a lack of talent that was the problem. From HW onward, the voice acting is overall decent, with an occasional goofy line here and there (usually coming from one-off background characters).

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    What is VM? Voice... m???? I presume you mean the voice acting?

The English voice acting does improve. For Heavensward, they changed studios. I think the problem was with whoever was the original voice director. ARR had good voice actors like Gideon Emery (the voice of Baltheir in FFXII) so I don't think it was a lack of talent that was the problem. From HW onward, the voice acting is overall decent, with an occasional goofy line here and there (usually coming from one-off background characters).
    yeah I meant Voice acting. I have no idea why the hell I kept typing VM.

Glad to hear it improves though, hated a lot of times the voice acting would just suddenly stop for seemingly no reason. Yeah I don't think it was a talent thing, it felt more like the actors weren't given much direction, or like they were rarely if ever acting with eachother and instead were just told- Okay Minfilia just gave you some terrible news, say this line with exasperation!

hated a lot of times the voice acting would just suddenly stop for seemingly no reason
    Unfortunately the game never becomes fully voiced, which is a shame.

Well what kind of game do you want to play?
    No, I want to play a game. A visual novel is not a game.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Sure they are, not a game you like, clearly, but VNs are, objectively, games lol.

A visual novel (Japanese: ビジュアルノベル, Hepburn: bijuaru noberu), often abbreviated as VN, is an interactive fiction video game genre.

I've said this a few times, but I'd really like my character to look like a reject from a Kiss cover band. Though I'm prepared to accept that's a bit of a reach. I'd also settle for Punk, perhaps just Metal AF at a push.

I find the facial hair options to be very limited, at most you can get a faint stubble, a combination of bushy moustache and/or face beard. There could be more in between those two options and perhaps going all the way to lengthy waist length facial hair.

Tatoos, War Paints and Scars extended past just facial ones would be appreciated too. Completely bald hairstyles - Hell, just none generic looking anime ones would be an improvement.

More options for older looking characters and options to make you look scruffy and battleworn would be nice. At this point my character has been slaying Primals, Ascians, been through a couple of wars... The option to make them look like it would be cool.

I do agree that the creator they have is passable - It's just not really to my taste in what you can do with it.
    Last edited by StrawberryZebra; 2022-03-01 at 09:21 PM.

Depends on what you mean by "better."

The story gets better, but your complaint doesn't. It's still very much a story oriented game with many cutscenes and dialogue so if the amount of that is what bothers you, that doesn't get better.

Not the one you are responding to, but what's missing for me is a Male Au Ra that doesn't look like he's angry at the world 100% of the time. It's annoying to see Au Ra have a permanent >:-( expression all the time. If they smile, it looks like an evil smile, not a joyous smile. I had to fantasia my Male Au Ra to a Male Midlander because I got sick of looking at Vegeta all the time I was playing that character.

Female Au Ra don't have that problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Having made it into Shadowbringers content, I've got to say the new non-boss battle music is epic. I actually look forward to random battles now just for the chance to hear it.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "better."

The story gets better, but your complaint doesn't. It's still very much a story oriented game with many cutscenes and dialogue so if the amount of that is what bothers you, that doesn't get better.
    My complaint is not that it's a "story-oriented" game, almost every game has story. My complaint is that the main campaign questing is not a game to begin with, it's a visual novel. For the most part, you just go from point A to point B to click yourself through dialogue.