Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    I messed around with the game in beta but didnt get too far in due to wow raids. How is the end game and how long/expensive would it be to get raid ready quickly? Also how is the solo part of the game? Is it like FFXI where you need to group for every single thing and if you manage to solo something it takes a while in between pulls?

Curious about those things before i make up my mind to just buy it.
    If youre focused solely on end game raiding I would not recommend the game to you. As the "raid" content is fairly limtied in FF14.

That being said it is a fun game and you can level from 1-50 solo easily, however you will have to run instances to progress your character past certain points in the main story (which is required to do end game stuff)

The combat is based around a 2.5 second global CD and is alot slower than WoW, this takes getting use to but is actually not that bad now that Ive gotten accustomed to it.

Once you get to 50 its all about farming dungeons for tomes to buy the entry level raid gear or purchase the high quality end game crafted gear.

Each dungeon drops 100 tomes you need around 5k to get a full set of gear. So you need to do roughly 50 dungeon runs to get geared with each dungeon taking roughly 30 minutes (some do speed runs which are faster of course) it will take ~ 25 hours to get your full set of entry level raid gear (ilvl 70).

Although you can do other end game content at lower gear levels such as the new 24 person raid which requires an average ilvl of 50 to enter.

Feel free to ask anything else and Id be happy to respond.

I messed around with the game in beta but didnt get too far in due to wow raids. How is the end game and how long/expensive would it be to get raid ready quickly? Also how is the solo part of the game? Is it like FFXI where you need to group for every single thing and if you manage to solo something it takes a while in between pulls?

Curious about those things before i make up my mind to just buy it.
    Honestly, the end game is not the best as it stands (not the best, but not bad). There is a raid now, and a a couple of HM dungeons to get gear as well as primals to get weapons. Keep in mind that it is a brand new game and they concentrated more on the foundation of the game than anything else. I found leveling up to be fun, it had a great story line and it kept me engaged. Most of the game you can solo, but the story will occasionally tell you to run a dungeon with a group of people. But the game has a dungeon finder, so thats really a non issue. It's not expensive at all to get your gear unless you get crafters to make everything for you which i would strongly advise against.
    Also keep in mind the next patch 2.2 (which should drop in 3 months if they stay true to their timeline) is a major raid patch and will add more end content.

You mentioned that you are a raider in wow, so I'll give you a warning. This game is not a typical western mmo. There will be a lot of grind. For some, they like, for others, they dont. I for one love the game and am not looking to quit anytime soon.

You get a free month with the purchase of the game, and its only $30. I feel that it is worth a shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Anyone started having huge lag after the patch? Its practically unplayable. Not sure if it is just dungeons, but nearly every time something happens such as mobs dying, doors opening, ect. I get a 5-10sec lag spike and everything stops. Then after the time has passed everything that happened during that time suddenly happens and people teleport to their current locations. I asked and apparently I do nothing while it even though I seem to be able to cast spells and do stuff, but as with everything else, all that happens too when spike ends.

I havent had any connection problems before this patch came out. :/
    Sorry, I haven't. I found the game exceptionally responsive last night.

Anyone started having huge lag after the patch? Its practically unplayable. Not sure if it is just dungeons, but nearly every time something happens such as mobs dying, doors opening, ect. I get a 5-10sec lag spike and everything stops. Then after the time has passed everything that happened during that time suddenly happens and people teleport to their current locations. I asked and apparently I do nothing while it even though I seem to be able to cast spells and do stuff, but as with everything else, all that happens too when spike ends.

I havent had any connection problems before this patch came out. :/
    I haven't had rubber banding issues in a long time, but I noticed some people talking about it yesterday though not alot of people only a few, what are your server connection packets like when this happens?

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    Once you get to 50 its all about farming dungeons for tomes to buy the entry level raid gear or purchase the high quality end game crafted gear.

Each dungeon drops 100 tomes you need around 5k to get a full set of gear. So you need to do roughly 50 dungeon runs to get geared with each dungeon taking roughly 30 minutes (some do speed runs which are faster of course) it will take ~ 25 hours to get your full set of entry level raid gear (ilvl 70).

With Duty Roulette this will drop drastically. Ran one dungeon and got a boatload of tomes

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    I haven't had rubber banding issues in a long time, but I noticed some people talking about it yesterday though not alot of people only a few, what are your server connection packets like when this happens?
    Not sure. Since this mostly happened during fights, I didnt look since I was trying to figure out how to not die while i do nothing. Friend said that I still warped around once the dungeon ended, but at that point I didnt notice any spikes or anything else either. I was rather annoyed after the dungeon that I logged off without looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutartwo View Post
    With Duty Roulette this will drop drastically. Ran one dungeon and got a boatload of tomes
    I wouldn't say drastically
    Duty Roulette can only be done once a day for the bonus rewards

Duty Roulette Bonus
    (received once per day per category/MUST queue solo, MUST BE a lvl 50 for tomestones)

Low Level Dungeons - 100 Phil / 10 Myth
    Main Scenario - 200 Phil
    Guildhests - 0
    High Level Dungeons - 40 Myth

Low level dungeons don’t give Philos at the end (and usually take longer than 30m) so this would not be a great idea for someone gearing.

So really the only thing that someone would think about running would be the Main Scenario roulette, Praet/CM give 100 philos at the end and then you would get a bonus 200. Unfortunately CM/Praet in a pug can take a long time (typically ~1hr for Praet). So this is almost a wash timewise.

Duty Roulette could help somewhat with getting your Darklight but won’t really have a huge impact.

On the other hand, Duty Roulette makes capping Myth a ton easier as the 40 Myth bonus per day on High Level dungeons is really nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure. Since this mostly happened during fights, I didnt look since I was trying to figure out how to not die while i do nothing. Friend said that I still warped around once the dungeon ended, but at that point I didnt notice any spikes or anything else either. I was rather annoyed after the dungeon that I logged off without looking.
    Check your video drivers just in case, I noticed a new release on my wifes PC last night although I didnt look deeper into it.

They split out the data center, you could run some ping tests to the new data center and see if there is something going on with your connection. It sounds like packet loss to me but would need to run a few ping tests from command prompt to get an idea.

You can queue up in Duty Roulette for the additional rewards, which include tomes if you have a level 50 class and extra gil, once a day I think (right? that's how I understood it from the patch notes).

This will drastically decrease the amount of time it takes to get the tomes for upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    You can queue up in Duty Roulette for the additional rewards, which include tomes if you have a level 50 class and extra gil, once a day I think (right? that's how I understood it from the patch notes).

This will drastically decrease the amount of time it takes to get the tomes for upgrades.
    Yeah it is once a day, but I think (i'm not 100% sure) you can queue one a day for EACH roulette and I think there are 4. The lowbie (who cares about that one though), the level 50 daily, the main scenario, and another that I can't remember off hand. 1 of them gives you an extra 300 tomes of philo just for doing. the other two gives you extra myth and gold.
    Also its pretty much insta queue for all roles now, so it'll cut down time by quite a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    WP spam is still better tomes/hour than high level roulette, I guess it's nice if you, for whatever reason, don't have a good speed running group, but otherwise it's a waste of time.

Ok guess ill pick up the game tomorrow. I raided as a lock and hunter in wow. Anything in FFXIV with similar play styles thats fairly easy to catch on to? Not into healing...ever haha. Would love to be able to solo well and hold my own in group/raid settings.

Ok guess ill pick up the game tomorrow. I raided as a lock and hunter in wow. Anything in FFXIV with similar play styles thats fairly easy to catch on to? Not into healing...ever haha. Would love to be able to solo well and hold my own in group/raid settings.
    Summoner is a carbon copy of WoW's affliction warlock. Bard is an archer style achetype, without a pet and with loads of support.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Summoner is a carbon copy of WoW's affliction warlock. Bard is an archer style achetype, without a pet and with loads of support.
    Just to note if you play summoner and you want to raid with it you will also end up playing a thaumaturge (Wizard) archetype to 26 and the archer(Bard) at some point for the cross skills (at least to 4 but preferably to 34).

If you play a Bard you will need to level 2 melee archetypes Pugilist at least to 15 and Lancer to 34 for cross skills.

Just a couple things to note, if you absolutely dont want to touch melee, go summoner.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    WP spam is still better tomes/hour than high level roulette, I guess it's nice if you, for whatever reason, don't have a good speed running group, but otherwise it's a waste of time.
    Unfortunately, me being a DRG, I am vetoed from entering these speed runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutartwo View Post
    Unfortunately, me being a DRG, I am vetoed from entering these speed runs.
    Just put it together yourself then, I run my DRG with a tank, healer and any DPS from my FC and we still clear in 15 minutes, thats with killing eveything and spiritbonding.

The BRD/BLM combo is just so you can game a couple pulls and get down to the 10 minute or less mark.

I've taken a DRG/WAR (pre patch) through 12m runs. Any competent and geared group can clear the 15m mark. It's just the pre-patch OP comp could do 6 minutes. I've personally only gotten down to 8 at the lowest.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

I'm just excited about the prospect of doing something other than WP and AK for tomes, even if WP SR are still the most efficient way to farm. Breaking the monotony is the key to enjoying an MMO long term (at least for me it is). And Duty Rpulette certaonly does that, and it also allows me to get decent gear for the classes I'm still leveling up so it's a win win.

How much philo and myth does WP/AK give now? I just did prae through roulette and it took almost 2 hours (ridiculous) and only gave 300 philo. FC members were telling me WP is pretty much the go to now?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Speed running the same dungeon over and over is mind-numbingly boring though, idk how people do it. Meh I guess some people just like to get it done ASAP but I'm glad with duty roulette you can do one per day and cap in about 5 days (assuming you don't do anything else that rewards tomestones in the meantime which is highly unlikely). I'm just glad they added more variety for those that prefer it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    How much philo and myth does WP/AK give now? I just did prae through roulette and it took almost 2 hours (ridiculous) and only gave 300 philo. FC members were telling me WP is pretty much the go to now?
    100 Philosophies and 30 Myths each. The new three lvl50 dungeons give the same amount of Philosophies I believe, but 50 Myths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, after doing CT like five times (I think it's been five), it was REALLY nice to have two great runs last night.

First couple of runs where mind-blowingly bad, like somehow everyone spoke another language AND it was opposite day. Just getting to King Bohemoth at like 40 minutes til the raids over, then getting to Acheron at like 15 min til...

last night we got to behemoth at like 84 minutes til and I wasn't sure if this was real life anymore...