10+ Year Old Account
    In Japanese, he has a very formal speech style, which I guess in English that doesn't really exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyndeleron View Post
    Well I didn't know that XD

gah this game making me learn something complicated already... now I got a headache >.<
    The dialogue is crazy, but it's very enjoyable reading. It will really stretch the limits of your vocabulary. In fact, unlike other MMOs, like WoW, I actually take the time to read every single line of dialogue spoken. It's just more interesting, and feels significant. It's good storytelling, and that's what has always drawn me to the FF games.

Gods forfend...

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, I just started this game like a week ago, and I'm really enjoying it. I haven't played it since the original beta, which was of course quite different. I've spent years in both WoW and FFXI, and I like that this game still feels like a Final Fantasy game (storyline, music, art style, environment), but has many of the quality of life changes that WoW had (questing for XP, the dungeon finder which is like an exact freaking copy of WoW, easier traveling).

My only complaints so far is that leveling seems to be a bit TOO easy. I realize FFXI was downright painful at times, but I think the overshot the balance point. The game itself seems pretty easy, as well. I rarely feel threatened by anything in solo content (unless I'm doing stuff I shouldn't be) and the few dungeons I've done have been really easy. But then again, I'm only 23 archer, and 21 in pugilist so far.

I love the armory system. A major quality of life change that would have made FFXI much more bearable. Guildleves are a great way to vary daily quests to your own preference, and for catching up alt classes that have already done all the quests. And I love love love FATEs. It reminds me of besieged events in FFXI, except way more varied, way more frequent, and ALL over the place, with worthwhile rewards for your efforts. The challenge log is a really fun way to earn some rewards and allowing you to mix it up, while the hunting log means no enemy type goes unkilled, eventually!

Another complaint is the loot system. Loot is incredibly boring. I guess I'm not sure what I expected, but it's just... bland. I saw some of the drops from dungeons, and they were fairly underwhelming.

All in all, though, I'll definitely be subbing once my trial is over. I was supposed to level with a friend, but he's been busy with work. Guess I'll need to level another class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    That guy.. from the Scions , whats is name? Urianger, or Uriger or whatever. He makes me cringe with is "thy noblest of souls", "holier than thou" style of speech.
    One of my wishes for Heavensward is Urianger to die it's so hard to understand what's he's trying to say, and I guess even voice actor doesn't have a clue, because it sound like a stream of words and not real sentences.
    It was really poor decision to go for archaic english (is it the case for other translations like german for example?) I don't remember anything similar in other FF titles

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    One of my wishes for Heavensward is Urianger to die it's so hard to understand what's he's trying to say, and I guess even voice actor doesn't have a clue, because it sound like a stream of words and not real sentences.
    It was really poor decision to go for archaic english (is it the case for other translations like german for example?) I don't remember anything similar in other FF titles
    I think it adds distinction from the standard stuff of other MMOs.

Also, not everybody uses it. It tends to define the more educated and refined. Peasant speech is much rougher.

Urianger's dialogue is cringetastic. If anyone spoke like that, even in the olden times, he'd probably get stabbed and robbed.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Urianger's dialogue is cringetastic. If anyone spoke like that, even in the olden times, he'd probably get stabbed and robbed.
    You seem quite certain of this. Are you from said olden times? I have to say, I'm amazed you've lived so long, please tell me your secret.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    I agree 100%, and not even the voice acting, I have to skip his written dialogue too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooooo i'm like one of the few people who can tell what uriange is saying without trouble? I mean his speech pattern and word usage is easy enough at least to me and I rather enjoy that he uses an old dialect rather then generic English. Hell if you notice ALOT if dialects exist from the rogues/baderons? Was it(limsa adventurers guild) boss to the rogues guilds heavy usage of what seems to be euphemistic slang to Welllll uriange. I in fact wonder if we won't someday meet more people with his speech patterns.

Also try reading some translations of things like Dantes Inferno or the general divine trilogy I still remember how they utilized older styles of English in the ONE I read.

Note my parents are bibliophiles wellll were so I was brought up with a lot of reading and shown a lot of Shakespearean stuff soooo that could be part of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Sooooo i'm like one of the few people who can tell what uriange is saying without trouble? I mean his speech pattern and word usage is easy enough at least to me and I rather enjoy that he uses an old dialect rather then generic English. Hell if you notice ALOT if dialects exist from the rogues/baderons? Was it(limsa adventurers guild) boss to the rogues guilds heavy usage of what seems to be euphemistic slang to Welllll uriange. I in fact wonder if we won't someday meet more people with his speech patterns.

Also try reading some translations of things like Dantes Inferno or the general divine trilogy I still remember how they utilized older styles of English in the ONE I read.

Note my parents are bibliophiles wellll were so I was brought up with a lot of reading and shown a lot of Shakespearean stuff soooo that could be part of it.
    I'm with ya. I had no trouble with Urianger's manner of speech. The rogue's guild gave me a bit of trouble but then again I always have trouble with the gruffer dialects. I think the way Urianger speaks is very befitting of his character. Also he isn't the only one who speaks in that way, all the Scions to a small extent use older/more formal speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    You seem quite certain of this. Are you from said olden times? I have to say, I'm amazed you've lived so long, please tell me your secret.
    1348 born and raised, shoveling cow poo is what kept my skin glazed, no wonder you were fazed.

Also, do you honestly believe anyone spoke like that in the olden days outside of theaters, literature or jestingly?
    Last edited by Grable; 2015-01-09 at 12:49 PM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    I'm with ya. I had no trouble with Urianger's manner of speech. The rogue's guild gave me a bit of trouble but then again I always have trouble with the gruffer dialects. I think the way Urianger speaks is very befitting of his character. Also he isn't the only one who speaks in that way, all the Scions to a small extent use older/more formal speech.
    Mhmmm same here. Urianger JYST requires basic concept of root words and older usages mixed with contextual understanding. The rogues guild got me once ir twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can understand what he's saying just fine. It's cringey and annoying since nobody even speaks like that in the game. He sounds like a theatre student that got ahold of a ye olde thesaurus.
    Last edited by Arkenaw; 2015-01-09 at 02:25 PM.

That guy.. from the Scions , whats is name? Urianger, or Uriger or whatever. He makes me cringe with is "thy noblest of souls", "holier than thou" style of speech.
    There are ways to make someone sound sophisticated, formal and intelligent without making them difficult to understand. The fact that his voice actor is monotone and puts almost zero feeling into the words doesn't help any either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. The voice acting is very erratic aswell. I've had times where you get a cutscene with voice acting followed by silent movie for the next quest cutscenes. It feels so odd. Either voice act all of it, or don't. Feels like: "Are there any voice actors in the studio?"
    Yes / No
    How Many? / Screw it and move to next Quest
    1 / 2 / 5 / 10
    Put Minfilia and her token Monologue/Dialogue between Minfilia and Urianger/ Gang reunion/ Gang reunion + ~4 Random NPCs entering the scene

- - - Updated - - -

Spent 15 min trying to make this amazing flow chart but i failed horribly. Apparently how i write it in the box isn't exactly how it shows when posted =(
    Last edited by Razael; 2015-01-09 at 03:57 PM.

I guess I am weird. I like when they use Olde English. I have never understood why more fantasy games do not. It has always struck me as odd when I am playing a fantasy game or watching a fantasy movie and people are speaking modern English or use modern slang.

I guess I am weird. I like when they use Olde English. I have never understood why more fantasy games do not. It has always struck me as odd when I am playing a fantasy game or watching a fantasy movie and people are speaking modern English or use modern slang.
    Using it is one thing, using it well is another. FFXIV over uses it and the voice actor who speaks it doesn't do a very good job. Yeah he pronounces the words correctly but it sounds robotic and unnatural so it takes away from narrative and context because it just sounds bad.

The written parts aren't bad, but I still think they over use it. He has some pretty significant lore and story to convey over the course of the story and deciphering what he says can be difficult sometimes. The fact that other characters have to translate what he says into normal speech so the player can understand the plot points shows that it's a little over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Using it is one thing, using it well is another. FFXIV over uses it and the voice actor who speaks it doesn't do a very good job. Yeah he pronounces the words correctly but it sounds robotic and unnatural so it takes away from narrative and context because it just sounds bad.

The written parts aren't bad, but I still think they over use it. He has some pretty significant lore and story to convey over the course of the story and deciphering what he says can be difficult sometimes. The fact that other characters have to translate what he says into normal speech so the player can understand the plot points shows that it's a little over the top.
    I haven't gotten quite that far yet I guess. I am only level 20. I remember meeting the guy, but he has not been involved too much yet. Guess I will have to wait and see what you are talking about.

I actually don't mind Urianger. He's monotonous, but intentionally so. And he's consistent to the point that he actually sounds like he speaks that way.

Minfilia on the other hand... you know that she's a voice actor reading dialogue off a page, as opposed to a VA who does their job well enough to make you forget they're actually a VA. It's so stilted sounding, like she's having to force herself to say many of her lines. And it's a shame because while I find the acting leaves something to be desired, her voice matches her appearance pretty well.

The same cannot be said for Raubahn. he sounds like he's straining to try for a big, deep voice for a big man. But falls short.

One thing they all seem to be fairly consistent on though is pronunciation. All these odd names, yet they all get pronounced pretty much the same. Someone had the common sense to type up a guide for all the actors to use, or they actually held meetings on how to say things. Compare that to WoW where you have Pandaria being said 5 different ways... ugh. Panned aria, panned area, pon daria... PICK ONE!
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2015-01-09 at 11:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All hail Japanese voice actors. >.>

15+ Year Old Account
    Merlwyb english VA 4 lyfe.