10+ Year Old Account
    Those are some fancy looking stones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    As an EU gamer, I can't fathom how people play melee with 2K+ latencies. That has to suck.
    I'm not even keen on raiding per se because of the absurdly crappy latencies in this game.
    I didn't think it was that bad, and I am EU gamer too (UK).

Obviously it wasn't as accurate as WoW's EU server, but didn't cause me any issue raiding at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 2.5s GCD surely masks a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone please explain the purpose of the materia system to me?
    It seems that I cannot meld blue Ilvl 90 gear and I read that raid gear can't be melded either (true?/false?). Oo

Is it a relic from the 1.0 version?

10+ Year Old Account
    Materia are for crafted gear only, while they cannot break the stats allowance from ilevel, they can have multiple secondary stats all on a piece of gear, which makes a melded piece of gear stronger than the raid gear on the same ilevel.

For example, a piece of ilvl90 leg can have 34acc and 24crit, very likely the 34 is the cap for that piece.

A crafted piece of gear can have 34acc, 34crit, 34 det if you can somehow meld it (after the 2 stats already on that piece of gear ofc)
    So if that piece has 24 crit and 34 det, you can meld a further 10 crit and 34 acc on that piece of gear.

That is why crafted pieces will not have the same ilvl as raid gear as it will make them massively over powered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    That is why crafted pieces will not have the same ilvl as raid gear as it will make them massively over powered.
    Wouldn't go that far.

EG:
    Emerald-Earrings HQ (ilvl 90):
    Will 13 Piety 12
    1 materia slot.

Blue Ilvl 90 Earrings:
    Will 13 Piety 12
    Crit 16

You need to meld + 16 of any useful secondary stat to break even.
    Materia IV = 9/10 statpoints, leaves 6 that need to be reached via forbidden melds.

The way I see it is that you need a successfully overmelded HQ Ilvl 90 craft to rival an ilvl 90 blue. (Healers PoV)
    Quite an expensive process that only a very few people will be able to afford.

But thank you for explaining.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2014-09-01 at 12:51 AM.

At the start of a raid tier, overmelded crafted gear will outperform up to...I think up to 10? ilvls of non-meldable gear due to the sheer secondaries (assuming you can get use out of all the stats). For instance, at BCoB 2 launch, I had i90 pieces with Det/Crit/Pie melded for my healer that were superior to the i90 gear and were *on-par* with i100 token gear. Obviously, this gap narrows as you get more stones per week, more i110 drops from Coil, and the catch-up dungeons (Syrcus Tower for instance).

It's mostly to get a super headstart on progression so you burn out faster and whine about the lack of raiding content. :P
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

Trying to renew our subscriptions and the site goes down for maintenance.

My account better not get flagged for suspicious activity. Again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't go that far.

EG:
    Emerald-Earrings HQ (ilvl 90):
    Will 13 Piety 12
    1 materia slot.

Blue Ilvl 90 Earrings:
    Will 13 Piety 12
    Crit 16

You need to meld + 16 of any useful secondary stat to break even.
    Materia IV = 9/10 statpoints, leaves 6 that need to be reached via forbidden melds.

When I said melded pieces are better than their same ilevel equivalent, I mean when you 5x meld them. Yes it is expensive, but for people that go for good gear, many of them are willing to pay the price (I can't remember how much I paid for the 5x crit melded pants back when I was i70). And while a single stat is easily capped, the good thing is, you can then meld other stats. So for your example, you can melt 15 crit within 2 materia (+9 and +6), then 3 materia you can go for spell speed, determination, whatever you fancy, so you may end up with a earring that comes with 15 crit 15 determination 9 spell speed instead of just 16 crit, that is why melded gear are superior to their same ilevel counter parts.

we still on 3 month content updates? I've lost track of time.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

next patch is suposably in like 3-4 weeks i think
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    When I said melded pieces are better than their same ilevel equivalent, I mean when you 5x meld them. Yes it is expensive, but for people that go for good gear, many of them are willing to pay the price (I can't remember how much I paid for the 5x crit melded pants back when I was i70). And while a single stat is easily capped, the good thing is, you can then meld other stats. So for your example, you can melt 15 crit within 2 materia (+9 and +6), then 3 materia you can go for spell speed, determination, whatever you fancy, so you may end up with a earring that comes with 15 crit 15 determination 9 spell speed instead of just 16 crit, that is why melded gear are superior to their same ilevel counter parts.
    Interesting. Didn't know that you can meld so many (though I imagine the chances are getting remotely and it gets insanely expensive at the end).
    Thanks for elaborating!

I'm still bummed though that crafting items are balanced with an incredibly insane gil sink in mind. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. Didn't know that you can meld so many (though I imagine the chances are getting remotely and it gets insanely expensive at the end).
    Thanks for elaborating!

I'm still bummed though that crafting items are balanced with an incredibly insane gil sink in mind. :/
    One thing he oleft out was that Materia is REQUIRED for crafters and gatherers to maximize their classes. Their armor and accesories ALL have materia slots and to be BIS require 5 materia often of specific types be equipped. Thus one reason 3 start recipes can be the most expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordin Solus View Post
    next patch is suposably in like 3-4 weeks i think
    Hmm has there been any new info on the new patch?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    Hmm has there been any new info on the new patch?
    Not much but you can generally about set your calendar by em.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    One thing he oleft out was that Materia is REQUIRED for crafters and gatherers to maximize their classes. Their armor and accesories ALL have materia slots and to be BIS require 5 materia often of specific types be equipped. Thus one reason 3 start recipes can be the most expensive.
    I know.
    I am at that point with my Goldsmith and I have 0 clue how to get that kind of gil w/o going into RMT (which I obviously won't do), since one + ctrl materia IV goes for like 250K+ on Cerberus.

At the rate the game is giving me gil it would take a year to get decked out in gear.
    So I'm guessing I'm stuck with * patterns and wasted my time completely. >.<
    Last edited by Granyala; 2014-09-03 at 11:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know.
    I am at that point with my Goldsmith and I have 0 clue how to get that kind of gil w/o going into RMT (which I obviously won't do), since one + ctrl materia IV goes for like 250K+ on Cerberus.

At the rate the game is giving me gil it would take a year to get decked out in gear.
    So I'm guessing I'm stuck with * patterns and wasted my time completely. >.<
    Have you tried making and selling Glamour prisms?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Have you tried making and selling Glamour prisms?
    Do you mean the projection crystals to change gear appearance?
    They sell for 3K or so, so I didn't bother with it.

I could give it a shot though to see if they sell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you mean the projection crystals to change gear appearance?
    They sell for 3K or so, so I didn't bother with it.

I could give it a shot though to see if they sell.
    Varies by class like on my server cloth for around 3k-7k sometimes 10k

Check the different ranks for your class...I am guessing using beast tribe groups you can craft for cheap but not sure on goldsmith.

It might seem obvious but make sure you send your retainer(s) out on a quick venture as often as you can. It's a matter of luck but I've had them bring back some pretty great items that sell for a decent amount of gil. I'd also suggest periodically clearing your inventory of excess items as it can be surprising how much a particularly obscure item can go for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    It might seem obvious but make sure you send your retainer(s) out on a quick venture as often as you can. It's a matter of luck but I've had them bring back some pretty great items that sell for a decent amount of gil. I'd also suggest periodically clearing your inventory of excess items as it can be surprising how much a particularly obscure item can go for.
    Heheh, yeah I feed the AH with every Item I get and only vendor if the prices are near equal. Made 450K with the 2 Class IV materia you get from the main quest line

So far my little Liin had no luck on quick ventures though.