Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Music] Can Westerners/The World accept a Hijabi Singer?

Hey guys, I'm wondering of what you guys think if westerners or maybe international fans can accept a singer that adorns the Hijab?

Last edited by Hyde; 2011-11-02 at 06:02 PM.

I doubt people care about the fashion style of singers, after watching gaga's meat dress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? If people like their music, they'll listen, if they don't, they won't. That's really going to be the make-or break.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    If they like the music I can't see them caring about her way to dress.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Considering that unlike the meat suit afore mentioned that "Hijab" is directly linked towards a religeon / ideology that is at the moment despised by many in western society.

Not very likely.

Ps: not my personal opinnion, but currently in the netherlands, anything that is muslimesque wont be scoring high points in this nation.

I like her voice. Her outfit isn't something outlandish, it's not something I'd be so petty about.

There are some Muslim musicians on the edges of popularity in the US. Lupe Fiasco is one of the more prominent ones.

Deleted
    Yes. Westerners/The World is tolerant of Hijabs, it is Burkahs which the debate is centered around.

Deleted
    Get real, this woman obviously is an amazing singer, I think alot of people understimate music. If anything someone as her will make people less hatefull towards the whole thing.

Just my 2 cents, then again I live in sweden which is at the same time both very open and very closed to foreign cultures.

BUt yeah, I cant see anyone allowing themselves to dislike the music of sucha wonderfull singer because of her choice in garments.

10+ Year Old Account
    when she's as hot and talented as that chick I could accept a martian LOVE her eyes!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Sure, but as a "Westerner" who listens to mostly metal, I don't believe I'm able to "accept" her.
    I sold out 4 years ago, when I sold to Major League Gaming. And I think you're a troll.
    - Boub

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlocoptor View Post
    Sure, but as a "Westerner" who listens to mostly metal, I don't believe I'm able to "accept" her.
    Listening to mostly metal shouldn't have any reflection on whether or not you "accept" her. She's a great singer and has great music. It's not like she's singing aurally abrasive pop music with autotune and whatnot. She has real talent and anyone should be able to appreciate it, regardless of their preferred musical tastes.

I've listened to mostly metal my whole life, but I have always appreciated talent in any form. Nowadays, though, metal is getting tired. It's a one trick pony. Metal music rarely has meaningful music or true emotion. The most meaningful metal lyrics usually get is political. And even then, it's usually just angsty people screaming about bringing down the established system. I've got nothing against metal, but as I grow older, metal is less appealing to me. I still listen to it when I want something high-energy or simply aggressive, but meh.

Anyway, I don't think most people have anything against anyone wearing a religious article of clothing. Most people really don't care what the singers we listen to look like. Sure, there's a few shallow labels. Chances of finding an ugly man singing in a "boy band," for example, is pretty slim, but overall, it isn't a huge deal.

And for the most part, I don't think most people of western cultures truly have anything against Muslims. Sure, some dumb people are pretty vocal about it, and some people get a little nervous about it just due to lack of knowledge on it, but I like to think most people are intelligent enough not to dislike someone just for their religious views. One of the few hip-hop groups I listen to features a Muslim rapper (Jedi Mind Tricks), and hell, despite his scientology craziness, Tom Cruise is still pretty popular.

Either way, any lack of popularity this person experiences is probably just because her genre of music isn't the most popular out there.

As a Canadian on my mp3 player I have a handful of songs sung in Japanese and even one that's sung in Bengali. So, as long as the song is good I have no problem listening to other culture's songs. It may do well in certain segments of Canada but I can't see the full country or the US making it a "Top 10 hit".

She's on MTV Iggy's Best New Band guys XD.

http://www.mtviggy.com/best-new-band/

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    Considering that unlike the meat suit afore mentioned that "Hijab" is directly linked towards a religeon / ideology that is at the moment despised by many in western society.

Not very likely.

Ps: not my personal opinnion, but currently in the netherlands, anything that is muslimesque wont be scoring high points in this nation.
    that is troubling as Islam is the second larges religion in the world

Last edited by Hyde; 2011-11-08 at 08:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    By the world? Not in the next few years, however she definitley can still make it in the music world within her own country/area and through the internet to reach the part of the western world that doesn't care, as a point of interest she's nominated for MTV Iggys "best new band" (and yea I know she's not a band, I think thats just the name) so she must be doing something right.
    EDIT:Though I don't think she'll win, I think 2NE1 from South Korea is going to win that one, but doesn't end for another 1.5 days.

Listening to the first song you posted at the moment, I like it.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2011-11-08 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    By the world? Not in the next few years, however she definitley can still make it in the music world within her own country/area and through the internet to reach the part of the western world that doesn't care, as a point of interest she's nominated for MTV Iggys "best new band" (and yea I know she's not a band, I think thats just the name) so she must be doing something right.
    EDIT:Though I don't think she'll win, I think 2NE1 from South Korea is going to win that one, but doesn't end for another 1.5 days.

Trying to win over 2ne1 in Iggy is like trying to 1 man ragnaros at level 60.
    Last edited by Hyde; 2011-11-08 at 04:38 PM.

Depends on style. I have a dislike towards musicians with an emphatically religious focus, doesn't really matter to me whether that focus is Christian, Muslim or something more obscure. In my opinion, in modern western secular society that variety of anti-overt-religion cultural cringe is reasonably common.

She seems skilled and I wouldn't actually have registered that she was wearing a hijab for religious reasons as opposed to having a scarf around her head for fashion reasons. So based on that very limited sample, she doesn't evoke any anti-overt religion cringe from me personally.

The musical samples you've linked aren't really a style which interests me overly, although the Nirvana cover is mildly amusing, but I know a few people who'd enjoy it. She seems reasonably telegenic in a "quietly spoken serious musician" style.

15+ Year Old Account
    I feel like asking if her dress/religious affiliation is distracting from her music. Unless she avidly spouts off about her religion, no one will notice her for that aside from potential "celebrity" profiles and such. What I mean by that is that if she gains attention in the spotlight, I doubt her religion will come to the forefront in any way aside from, "And you do you feel, as an Islamic musician in this day and age.." etc.

I could see her religion being a curiosity piece, but I highly doubt it would ever rock many boats, as she doesn't seem to focus her music on the wrong-doings against Islam. She just seems like the average musician trying to make it, who incidentally happens to be Islamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post

N2E1 Won and Yuna is in the Top 5.