Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[TV] What would you want the 12th Doctor to be like?

Matt Smith recently announced that he could very likely be leaving the show after season seven. The fact that the S7 arc contains "The Fall of the Eleventh" leads me to believe this is fairly likely, so my question is: what personality type do you think would be best fit the Twelfth Doctor? 9 was a war hero who softened over the course of season 1, 10 had stirrings of what the Time Lords had become, and 11 was a very "childish" (note: I mean playful, not juvenile) man who could very easily switch to serious mode. What would you want to see next? I personally would like for maybe a Doctor who begins to show his age a bit after all that he's gone through.

Note: Please keep any sort of Matt hating out of this. This includes wishing for Tennant to be back. It may be your opinion, but its not the purpose of the thread.

Deleted
    Female multiple personality non-humanoid looking.

Deleted
    i quite like matt smith.

would be refreshing to have a female doctor, no idea who would take the roll. but it needs to be someone fun

Deleted
    I think Richard Ayoade would be perfect.

EDIT: I just googled it, apparently I'm not alone in this thought.

15+ Year Old Account
    the 11th seemed really old now and then. And very dark. The contrast between that and the eccentric/childish was very obvious too me.

I dunno, I think I'd want someone even MORE childish and fun-loving. Knowing that he only has 1 more regeneration before permanent-death should push him to enjoy life even more. Can't wait untill "the fall of the eleventh"(dont get me wrong, the 11th is my fav Doctor so far), but, I just wanna know what the freck the Doctors real name is. DOC-TOR WHO!?

I'm just gonna throw this out there: Ruper Grint.
    The Doctor always wanted to be ginger. So, why not have the king of gingers?
    If his acting could just be raised from slight stupid/dim, and NEVER have him say "bloody hell" or "bloody". It could work.
    Last edited by Tuuralihn; 2011-11-02 at 11:09 PM.
    I am and always will be the optimist. The hope for far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    I think Richard Ayoade would be perfect.

EDIT: I just googled it, apparently I'm not alone in this thought.

oh yes! would be awesome. thats the guy from IT crowd right?

---------- Post added 2011-11-02 at 11:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuralihn View Post
    the 11th seemed really old now and then. And very dark. The contrast between that and the eccentric/childish was very obvious too me.

I dunno, I think I'd want someone even MORE childish and fun-loving. Knowing that he only has 1 more regeneration before permanent-death should
    push him to enjoy life even more. Can't wait untill "the fall of the eleventh"(dont get me wrong, the 11th is my fav Doctor so far), but, I just wanna
    know what the freck the Doctors real name is. DOC-TOR WHO!?
    i dont think we will really find out tbh, he will do something to avoid the answer or stop the question being asked at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    oh yes! would be awesome. thats the guy from IT crowd right?
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. (I put loads of e's to circumvent 10chars, not to look like a dick (I realise the irony in this explanation))

Deleted

Benedict Cumberbatch would be a great Doctor, though im not sure he would take the role.

A quite posh/hard/somewhat grumpy Doctor would be good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunedradio View Post

Benedict Cumberbatch would be a great Doctor, though im not sure he would take the role.

he played sherlock in sherlock holmes right? he wouldnt be bad, but doesnt seem like he has enough energy to be the doctor, its gota be a happy happy fun guy

15+ Year Old Account

Won't happen. Steven Moffat(showrunner and main writer of Sherlock and Doctor Who) wont have Cumberbatch in both of his shows.
    Sherlock Holmes and The Doctor are too similar.

That's why I don't want Hugh Laurie as the Doctor btw.
    I am and always will be the optimist. The hope for far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams.

Deleted
    how much longer does matt smith have btw? another 2 seasons or what?

Deleted
    Won't happen. Steven Moffat(showrunner and main writer of Sherlock and Doctor Who) wont have Cumberbatch in both of his shows.
    Sherlock Holmes and The Doctor are too similar.

That's why I don't want Hugh Laurie as the Doctor btw.
    Ah i wasnt aware of that.

I just can picture him as The Doctor. I would like the new Doctor to be a bit ''Grumpy'', maybe a bit tired of it all, having to save people all the time. But i suppose it may lead it down a darker path that Doctor Who doesnt suit.

Season 7 is starting mid 2012. Again, from personal interviews and the stuff from "The Wedding of River Song", Trenzalore and "The Fall of the 11th" will happen then. Its very possible that this is a different kind of fall than "death", but no one is completely sure.

And I think Hugh might actually be a good fit for a dark doctor. Extended Sherlock Holmes metaphors never stoppen anyone, it may even be said that it would make a better doctor with someone who's done the type of role before.
    Last edited by Lichbourne; 2011-11-02 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Hugh opinion

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah i wasnt aware of that.

I just can picture him as The Doctor. I would like the new Doctor to be a bit ''Grumpy'', maybe a bit tired of it all, having to save people all the time. But i suppose it may lead it down a darker path that Doctor Who doesnt suit.
    Sherlock is a mini-series(only 3 episodes aire, 90 minutes per episode. Brilliant show) made by Steven Moffat and some other bloke.
    Cumberbatch WAS considered as the 11th Doctor, but, the role went to Matt Smith. Whilst Matt Smith auditioned for the role of Watson, before Cumberbatch was cast. Funny huh?

They already did all that, dont care anymore-bit, with both Tennant and Smiths Doctor.

---------- Post added 2011-11-03 at 12:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lichbourne View Post
    Season 7 is starting mid 2012. Again, from personal interviews and the stuff from "The Wedding of River Song", Trenzalore and "The Fall of the 11th" will happen then. Its very possible that this is a different kind of fall than "death", but no one is completely sure.

And I think Hugh might actually be a good fit for a dark doctor. Extended Sherlock Holmes metaphors never stoppen anyone, it may even be said that it would make a better doctor with someone who's done the type of role before.
    Sure, but, too similiar. Doubt Laurie wants to be typecasted like that. And anyway, the Doctor ages BACKWARDS, Laurie is a little too old I think.
    I support my own idea of Rupert Grint for the 12th Doctor

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it kinda depends on who the companion is. With a character like Amy Pond, who was pretty adult and sexy for a companion, having a childish Doctor played off of that quite well.

I think a female Doctor would be very interesting. What I would do is have the 12th be a really savvy, intellectual female Doctor. A little bit older and a little bit sexy. Think a hot librarian type with a bit of a dark edgy side. Have that play off of a happy go lucky dim witted everyman male companion. I guess picture a female Benedict Cumberbatch and a male Billie Piper maybe? Or even better. A smart, British, Demi Moore and a young Simon Pegg. Yeah, that would do it.

Sherlock is a mini-series(only 3 episodes aire, 90 minutes per episode. Brilliant show) made by Steven Moffat and some other bloke.
    Cumberbatch WAS considered as the 11th Doctor, but, the role went to Matt Smith. Whilst Matt Smith auditioned for the role of Watson, before Cumberbatch was cast. Funny huh?
    They are filming another 3 episodes of Sherlock to air in 2012.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    I want one like David Tennant of course? I don't hate Matt Smith I just wouldn't of pegged him as the Doctor. I'm hoping for more bad ass though. At least Tennant picked up weapons and fought ya know?

Tennant was awesome. Matt Smith grew on me. A woman doctor would be neat. Can't think of anyone in particular off the top of my head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lichbourne View Post
    Matt Smith recently announced that he could very likely be leaving the show after season seven. The fact that the S7 arc contains "The Fall of the Eleventh" leads me to believe this is fairly likely, so my question is: what personality type do you think would be best fit the Twelfth Doctor? 9 was a war hero who softened over the course of season 1, 10 had stirrings of what the Time Lords had become, and 11 was a very "childish" (note: I mean playful, not juvenile) man who could very easily switch to serious mode. What would you want to see next? I personally would like for maybe a Doctor who begins to show his age a bit after all that he's gone through.

Note: Please keep any sort of Matt hating out of this. This includes wishing for Tennant to be back. It may be your opinion, but its not the purpose of the thread.
    Tennant yes, even the first doctor from the new series was good. I must admit that changing him to Tennant didn't bode well, but it grew on me. I stoped watching Doctor Who after season 4 or so, so my opinion is less valid. S1-3 were the best.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Tennant yes, even the first doctor from the new series was good. I must admit that changing him to Tennant didn't bode well, but it grew on me. I stoped watching Doctor Who after season 4 or so, so my opinion is less valid. S1-3 were the best.
    Please keep the posts on topic.