Poll: Do you like the idea?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Red face Concept of turning Fishing profession into a Interesting mini-game!

So here is my idea: Make Fishing into a mini-game, it needs change really, now its just dull and booring. Here are the rules of the game.

Imagine something like the bank robbery quest on kezan (when you must break the piggy bank to get your money so you can get off the island), you must repeat what it says on the screen within a specified time (as you gain skill in fishing, this time gets shorter and shorter, because you fish more big and complicated fish) So when you click the fishing skill and you are near water, the fishing process begins.

Your fishing rod has health (better rods have more health, but better fishermen dont need it anyway,), if the health gets to 0, your string snaps and you have to reengage the fishing process. Health of your rod decreases when you do wrong moves or when you miss a move. The fish Has Energy, when you do the right moves this energy gets lower and lower, when the Energy reaches 0 the fish is exhausted and you must click the Catch ability to "finish" it, or fish it. ( Clicking Catch ability when the Energy of the fish is higher decreaces the chance of catching the fish, if the fish has 100%energy, you have 0% chance of catching it, if it has 60% energy, you have 40% chance of catching it, if the Catch fails, your fishing line snaps momentally)

Ofc, you will have to wait some time before a fish is lured to your hook (just like IRL), the time is random, anywhere from 10 to maybe 30 seconds. Attaching a lure to your fishing rod decreases this wait time.

Creating lures is also within the fishing skill, you can create lures just like you create items from the main professions.#

So, do you like my idea?

EDIT: BTW, i still havent tought up the names for the moves, something like pull up, stop pulling up (for when the fish starts to pull, you must to stop pulling because your string gets strained more and more) Reel in, stop Reeling, etc.
    Last edited by mmocd3750dc86d; 2011-11-04 at 01:25 PM.

As long as catching 1 fish didnt increase your skill by just 1 otherwise it would take ages just to max out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zycho123 View Post
    As long as catching 1 fish didnt increase your skill by just 1 otherwise it would take ages just to max out.
    Well the whole process of cathing it ( not counting the time needed for the fish to be lured in) should last about 20-30 seconds. Else its just too long.

Deleted
    If it increased your skill everytime you did something right, then sure, it would be better than it is now. It wouldn't be fun, just less boring. Perhaps get two or three points for every fish you catch, and say, 5 for catching a rare fish.
    I like the idea of creating lures as a way to rack up your fishing skill, the easier it is to level that boring skill the better.

EDIT: Also, 30 seconds seems a bit long. How about 15?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Wolfbane View Post
    If it increased your skill everytime you did something right, then sure, it would be better than it is now. It wouldn't be fun, just less boring. Perhaps get two or three points for every fish you catch, and say, 5 for catching a rare fish.
    I like the idea of creating lures as a way to rack up your fishing skill, the easier it is to level that boring skill the better.

EDIT: Also, 30 seconds seems a bit long. How about 15?
    Well good point there. But keep in mind that the fishing process now takes about the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something that would make fishing take EVEN LONGER to get the 10+ fish per skill point at high levels? Ugh, no thank you. You're forgetting something in your calculations of time spent - the timer for fishing currently is 20 seconds, yes, but the VAST majority of the time you catch a fish in substantially less than that. And it STILL takes forever because you have to catch a ridiculous number of fish per skillup. If anything made fishing take any longer to level than it currently does, I would just plain never level fishing again because it wouldn't be worth the time wasted on it.

EDIT: And even assuming you were already max level, having to go through this entire rigamarole EVERY TIME you needed a few fish to make yourself a stack of food would just be painful. Look at how 'popular and fun' Archaeology is.
    Last edited by Miralynn; 2011-11-04 at 02:01 PM.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    Something that would make fishing take EVEN LONGER to get the 10+ fish per skill point at high levels? Ugh, no thank you. You're forgetting something in your calculations of time spent - the timer for fishing currently is 20 seconds, yes, but the VAST majority of the time you catch a fish in substantially less than that. And it STILL takes forever because you have to catch a ridiculous number of fish per skillup. If anything made fishing take any longer to level than it currently does, I would just plain never level fishing again because it wouldn't be worth the time wasted on it.

EDIT: And even assuming you were already max level, having to go through this entire rigamarole EVERY TIME you needed a few fish to make yourself a stack of food would just be painful. Look at how 'popular and fun' Archaeology is.
    Well the whole fish up process wont take more than 5 seconds more, if theese 5 seconds are the reason you want to stick with the booring ol fishing where you have to stare at the screen.... ummm, you are not right with the head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Well the whole fish up process wont take more than 5 seconds more, if theese 5 seconds are the reason you want to stick with the booring ol fishing where you have to stare at the screen.... ummm, you are not right with the head.
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem -

Abusive ad hominem (also called personal abuse or personal attacks) usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponent in order to attack his claim or invalidate his argument, but can also involve pointing out factual but apparent character flaws or actions that are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and negative facts about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions.

Congratulations! You fail. Just because I'm not willing to spend 4-5 times as much time leveling a skill and I don't like your pointless idea doesn't mean there's anything wrong with me. But good on you for showing yourself to be yet another 'everyone who doesn't agree with me 100% is an (insert stupid insult here)' QQer.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Deleted
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem -

Abusive ad hominem (also called personal abuse or personal attacks) usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponent in order to attack his claim or invalidate his argument, but can also involve pointing out factual but apparent character flaws or actions that are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and negative facts about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions.

Congratulations! You fail. Just because I'm not willing to spend 4-5 times as much time leveling a skill and I don't like your pointless idea doesn't mean there's anything wrong with me. But good on you for showing yourself to be yet another 'everyone who doesn't agree with me 100% is an (insert stupid insult here)' QQer.
    I mean srsly, how can you prefeer the old one just beause of the time? Because you could contribute instead of flaming and being a smarty hating wikipedia boy, maybe propose that you dont have to reengage the fishing untill you want to, or fishing more than one fish per fishing session? (clicking the fishing button while standing next to water)
    Maybe propose that you allways get a skill point if you fish at the right place? Or maybe propose that you get more than one fish per fish up?

But no, instead to contributing to the idea to make fishing actually less bland and simply BOOORING, you decided to flame and hate.

THAT is why i decided to make an insult (not even that harsh insult). Because you deserve it. You dont want the game to be better, funner, less booring, you just want it to be convenient for you.

Mod Edit: Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2011-11-04 at 05:27 PM.

Right now, I watch tv with 1/2 an eye on fishing while I farm up what I need. Making me pay attention doesn't work for me.
    And it may only be an extra 5 sec, but making a mistake makes me start over? So, there's more seconds. At least when I don't get a fish now, I get something that I can sell.

Also those 5 seconds add up. I need 100 fish to make food for the raid. 5 x 100 = 500 / 60 = 8.3 min. x 3 times per week = 25 min extra. Just not how I want to spend my extra time. Not bashing you, just saying it's not for me. And I would argue the 20 sec as well. It usually takes me <10 to catch a fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've figured it out!

PVP Fishing!

So instead of trying to kill each other with our pvp skillz and armor and talent build, we will pvp with our fishing skills.

So there you are fishing in stranglethorn, and someone of the other faction shows up to try and steal from your fishing node. This triggers a pvp event (final fantasy style) where we need to fish up and killer octopus, and the first one that does it eats the other player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny, I only see one person flaming, hating, and name-calling, and it ain't me. Guess what? In the real world people don't always agree with you. Sometimes they even (gasp!) SAY SO. You want a contribution? Make the whole thing optional so I can turn it off and not EVER have to waste my time on it. That's the only way I'd ever agree to this.

Would I want to go through a pointless 30-second minigame every time I found a mining node? No. Would I want to go through a pointless 30-second minigame every time I found an herb? No. Would I want to go through a pointless 30-second minigame every time I skin a corpse? No. And if you don't like it, that's too bad, because here in the real world we all get to have our own opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    They had stated they planned to revamp fishing in WotLK to make it more like Animal Crossing fishing. This (obviously) never happened but it was never explained why.

My theory is that fish are such a core resource in the game (you need tons of them for feasts) that they decided the current system is better than a system that would require either skill or a much greater quantity of time for fewer fish caught.

Personally, I think that Net Fishing would be a good compromise, you could drop your net once every 2 hours or so and get a random clump of fish from the area you are farming in.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    Funny, I only see one person flaming, hating, and name-calling, and it ain't me. Guess what? In the real world people don't always agree with you. Sometimes they even (gasp!) SAY SO. You want a contribution? Make the whole thing optional so I can turn it off and not EVER have to waste my time on it. That's the only way I'd ever agree to this.

Would I want to go through a pointless 30-second minigame every time I found a mining node? No. Would I want to go through a pointless 30-second minigame every time I found an herb? No. Would I want to go through a pointless 30-second minigame every time I skin a corpse? No. And if you don't like it, that's too bad, because here in the real world we all get to have our own opinions.
    The diffrence being that collecting professions are not secondary and are not that unnecesary as fishing. Secondary professions are made to be fun. (or at least to give you what 2 do if you are being bored.)
    Last edited by mmocd3750dc86d; 2011-11-04 at 02:35 PM.

You say fishing is unnescessary. sorry, my raid disagrees with you, if that feast isn't dropped they gripe loudly and don't pull until it is and everyone is well fed. fishing is VERY necessary.

The minigame idea would be fun if it was optional and leveled you up faster, and I love the net fishing idea also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethystlyn View Post
    You say fishing is unnescessary. sorry, my raid disagrees with you, if that feast isn't dropped they gripe loudly and don't pull until it is and everyone is well fed. fishing is VERY necessary.
    Exactly so - but I get the feeling OP is one of those people who has never leveled it and depends on his raid to supply food for him. Just because fishing isn't necessary for someone who mooches the food off their raid without ever contributing, doesn't mean it isn't necessary for those of us who supply the food. If he actually spent the multiple solid days of all-day-fishing to get it to 525, I bet he'd sing a different tune about anything making it take longer than it already does.

Deleted
    I'm 99% sure you played Fable: The Lost Chapters and took the idea from that game.

I like the idea of adding lure creation into the Fishing skill, though currently Fishing doesn't have a trade window. The solution maybe adding more fishing lure recipes to Cooking, then creation of these lures would level up Fishing instead of Cooking. Either way, lure creation would take some of the tedium out of leveling fishing.

I like the idea of adding some sort of mini-game or two as a fishing daily (maybe where we control some sort of fishing pole vehicle UI similar to what you describe above and go fish up a swordfish or shark). Maybe this daily would take more time, skill but grant +5 to Fishing.

Deleted
    I would only like it if you fished more fish the more skill you have at once. I mean to work that much for 1 single fish? That's a bit much.

As an experienced fisher, I say "hell no!" to this.

This would not be funnier, just more complex and morose. It would turn farming for the guild into something horrible and time consuming. It's a terrible idea.